All karas1's Comments

Showing items 11 - 20 of 3,101
<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Mania Review: Noah (Article) - 3/31/2014 3:16:05 AM

Well, it's Mania so when a subject even tangententally related to religion surfaces the flamethrowers come out!

I know a lot of Christians who have no problem incorporating current scientific information into their worldview.  They believe that the universe is 14 billion years old and evolution happened and such and think that this is part of God's plan.  They can accept that a book written thousands of years before the invention of the scientific method might not have all it's scientific facts straight.

I don't believe that there is a God or that he created the world but I can respect their views.  There's no way I can prove that it isn't true.

The various logical flaws in the story of Noah make it hard for me to take it seriously.  But I can certainly accept it as the basis for a movie.  I don't believe in dragons either but that didn't stop me from seeing The Hobbit.

The commercials for this Noah movie made it seem like a film I would want to avoid but Rob's review has piqued my interest.  Perhaps I'll catch it at a bargain matinee.  From what people have said here it seems to be the kind of film you either love or hate.  I'm interested to see for myself.

Mania Review: Need for Speed (Article) - 3/14/2014 9:30:39 PM

If you've seen it, how does it compare to Fast and Furious?  Is it better?  Worse?  About the same?  If you like F&F will you like this?

Mania Box Office Report: NON-STOP to the TOP (Article) - 3/10/2014 6:36:53 AM

I'm glad that Diogo Morgado put in a good performance.  I'm glad it was a good miniseries and movie.  But that's not the point.  The quality and worth of the movie isn't my issue.  My issue is that the movie is a reedit of a TV show that's being passed off as a new, original film.

Mania Box Office Report: NON-STOP to the TOP (Article) - 3/5/2014 4:30:58 AM

There's a problem with it if people go to the movie and shell out $10 for a ticket thinking they'll see new material and just get a repeat of something they've already seen.  And it's not that I think the audience for this movie are dumbasses Wise.  It's that the movie is being advertised as if it were new material.  If I plunked down the cash to see a new, original film and got a re-edit of a TV show I'd already seen I'd be pretty put out.

Are  there people out there who don't have cable and missed it on TV?  Probably.  But History is basic cable and I think most people had access to it when it was first on.  And if they don't rerun the miniseries around Easter I'll be very surprised.

Religious material is tough to judge.  I remember a trip to Europe when I was a kid and being offended by the gift shops in the big cathedrals with tacky plastic key chains and postcards.  And I'm not even Christian.  But at least somebody who buys the key chain isn't being fooled into purchasing something they already own.

Ghostbusters 3 Script to be Re-Worked (Article) - 3/2/2014 8:31:17 PM

In a way it's ripe for a reboot/sequel.  The original movie is still great but certain attitudes have changed.  Watching Bill Murray sexually harass every woman he sees isn't as funny as it used to be.  Feels kind of slimy in fact.  A new generation of Ghostbusters could be fun with the right cast (I think Owen Wilson would be good).  It would need the right script though.  You'd need something creative and zany but not TOO out there.  It would need a subtle touch.  Hollywood just doesn't do subtle anymore, at least not with comedies or scifi/fantasy.

Blu-ray Shopping Bag: The Shadow (Article) - 2/25/2014 4:20:06 AM

I always liked The Shadow.  I liked the '30s setting with the fashions and the hairstyles.  I didn't expect bat jets or other futuristic gimicks so the taxi and the revolvers worked well for me.

Farscape to Return with a Movie? (Article) - 2/24/2014 8:18:59 AM

What great news!  Are Ben Browder and Claudia Black returning?

Blu-ray Shopping Bag: All is Lost (Article) - 2/11/2014 2:26:09 PM

Don't count on Song of the South being rereleased in the USA any time soon.  I understand it's available in Europe though.

Blu-ray Shopping Bag: All is Lost (Article) - 2/11/2014 4:28:10 AM

I've gotta pick up The Jungle Book for my niece.  It was the very first movie my parents ever took me to see when I was just 2 years old.  I very vaguely remember the magic of being in a movie theater for the first time (there were velvet curtains that opened and closed like it was a stage and everybody clapped when the movie was over).

I'm sure that wasn't the last time I saw it, they used to rerelease the old Disney movies every 10 years or so, so a new generation of kids could see them, long before VCRs, DVD or streaming video.  But I only remember bits and pieces of it.  I understand that parts of it haven't  aged well, being deemed racist by today's standards.  Still, Mowgli was Disney's first non white hero.

Mania Box Office Report: LEGO MOVIE WINS BIG (Article) - 2/10/2014 3:32:54 AM

I saw Monuments Men.  Good film.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA