All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,731 - 2,740 of 3,100

Not Only of Sight and Sound, But of Mind (Article) - 6/29/2009 4:24:54 AM

My favorite Twilight Zone ep is the one with Jackie Gleason and a really young Jack Klugman shooting pool in the afterlife.  It's two guys and a pool table and half an hour of riviting drama.  They really don't write them like that any more.

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN Review (Article) - 6/26/2009 11:26:38 AM

A robot would have a gold tooth for the same reason a human would, it's a style thing.  (A particurlarly gauche style but that's just my oppinion.)

And ddiaz, you don't read Sanskrit?  Why not?  It's a human language after all.

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN Review (Article) - 6/25/2009 11:39:32 AM

I agree with you almostunbiased.  I prefer movies with mind candy over eye candy any day.

But with Transformers I guess my expectations were pretty low because I just enjoyed the film. There were holes in the plot galore (though it still made more sense than Star Trek).  And with Megan Fox and Alice the decepticon showing lots of bare skin, I think Josh Duhmel (Major Lenox) could have taken his shirt off a few times.  But it was a fun ride.

KaraS

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN Review (Article) - 6/25/2009 4:45:12 AM

And more of a glimpse of the Decepticon's personalities.  In the old cartoon, the Decepticons had characters as well developed as the autobots.  Not in these movies.  Not that any autobots but Prime and Bumblebee have much character either really.

Merlin: Valiant (Article) - 6/23/2009 11:30:29 AM

Of course Arthur has to fight even though he knows Valiant will cheat with magic.  Would Uther accept anything less from him?  And if he golsses that over with talk about his responsibility to his people instead of talking about his fear of his father, well, that is very like a teenage boy really.  I didn't see any big change of character from the first episode in this.

Transformers Set to Invade Theaters Again (Article) - 6/23/2009 4:43:55 AM

Starscream was always my favorite transformer.  I named a hamster after him.

It was annoying that they killed him off but he came back as a ghost and those eps were particurlarly fun.

Unwanted Cast-Off or Cult Hit in the Making (Article) - 6/23/2009 4:38:44 AM

I am so enjoying Primeval.  CGI Dionsaurs plus prime beefcake plus british accents make for some fun viewing.

And I thought Merlin was pretty good.  Nice to see Anthony Stewart Head again.

KaraS

The Best Male Female Match-Ups on TV (Article) - 6/19/2009 11:34:55 AM

Sorry, The Doctor really isn't about relationships.

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/18/2009 4:08:52 AM

But Marcus wasn't a machine.  Well, he was a machine but that's not ALL he was.  He was a machine body with a human mind and he overcame his mechanical roots to embrace his humanity.  If you missed that you missed the entire point of the movie.

I didn't go to the film to see a Star Trek type story.  I went to the film to see giant robots and explosions.  And maybe a little time paradox mind candy.  That the film had a much more Star Trek like story than the actual Star Trek film could be a matter of interpretation, but I don't think so.  I think that's what the movie was trying to say.  And I liked it a good deal better than the Star Trek film which was just about blowing stuff up.

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/16/2009 12:01:12 PM

Marcus was a machine being used by Skynet.  But they made him too well.  They based his mind on the  mind of an actual human being.  He thought he was an actual person with free will.  They did this because he had to be independant otherwise he would not have been a convincing spy (that he triggered the land mine was something that Skynet couldn't forsee).  If they had controlled him from afar they way they did with the other machines that we saw, that could have been detected by the human rebels.

So the question is, can a thing that was made by Skynet overcome his origins?  Can he be a real person?  Can he have, for want of a better figure of speech, a soul?  If he THINKS he's a genuine person, does tha make him one?  Or is he just fooling himself?

The answer to that question in the movie is, yes.  He gave Connor his heart, saving Connor's life when the whole purpose of the entire thing was to kill Connor.  That proves that he was an independant being, not just a helpless, brainwashed pawn.

Of course, the search for humanity in something non human isn't virgin territory in SF.  It goes back to Frankenstein, probably farther back than that.  We've got Pinoccio, and Data and the Doctor from Voyager and any other artifical intelligence that yearns to be human.  So it's not particurlarly original, but it is interesting none the less.  And I thought it was done fairly well in Terminator Salvation.  I was interested in the answer to the question.

And I'd be interested in the further adventures of Marcus Wright.  If he survives his organ donation, what will become of him.  Skynet has got to be pissed off at him.  And despite his grand gesture, will the humans in the resistance be able to accept him as a comrade?  Or will he be doomed to be alone, belonging to neither side?

Yeah, there were plot holes (did anybody check to see if Wright's heart was a good match for Connor before they put it in his chest or will it be instant organ rejection?  How did they do a heart transplant under a tent in a battlefield without Connor dying of infection?  ect)  But I thought it was a much better film than Star Trek.  I certainly found it more entertaining.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA