All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,731 - 2,740 of 3,164

5 WTF Moments In Movies (Article) - 8/21/2009 11:33:29 AM

I'm one of the old style Trekies who is highly insulted that they have jettisoned 30 years of continuity in order to tell new stories, unencumbered by the past.  If they wanted to do that, why not just create new characters that had no history?  Then they could do whatever they wanted to with them.

Don't tell me that they thought people would rather see stories about Kirk and the Enterprise.  The whole point of the movie was to attract new viewers who weren't ST fans, who had no emotional attatchment to the characters, and would feel excluded by 30 years of stories they wouldn't know.  Continuity was reset to avoid frightening off these new viewers.    You'd think a new character would be more attractive to these new people anyway.

That being said, I wanted to like the movie.  I really did.  There were good points.  I really liked Zachary Quinto as Spock.   If anybody other than Nemoy is going to play Spock, I choose him.  I liked the new Scotty too.  I thought most of the other actors were OK with the exception of the new Checkov whom I hated.  I did like the actor well enough in Terminator Salvation though, so maybe it was just the way they wrote the character.

But the plot was full of holes and inconsistencies and everybody acted like hormonal teenagers instead of Starfleet cadets and the set design was beyond awful.   If I had seen a movie of this quality that wasn't a ST movie I would have shaken my head and thought it was a bad film.  That a ST film should be that bad broke my heart.

KaraS

5 WTF Moments In Movies (Article) - 8/21/2009 3:49:18 AM

TKay42one, the worst part is that people seem to prefer that piece of dung movie to the original.  Yeah, the FX are better, but everything else is so much worse that it doesn't even compare.  That's the biggest WTF moment for me.  That anybody even liked that piece of trash.

5 WTF Moments In Movies (Article) - 8/20/2009 11:36:35 AM

You don't understand TKay42one.  I always loved Uhura bacause she was independant.  The other women regulars on the show, Nurse Chappel and Yoman Rand spent all their time pining after men who didn't want them and most of the women guest stars ended up in a relationship with Kirk or, occasionally,  one of the other male regulars.  Uhura seemed to be the only woman in the future who could stand on her own two feet.

The Uhura in the movie seemed like a strong, independant woman at first.  Then she started running around after Spock, hanging off his arm, demanding he make special considerations for her due to their relationship, making out with him in elevators and just generally acting like a spoiled tramp.  Whe she followed Kirk and Spock to the transporter room when they were going to beam over to the Romulan ship I thought "YES!  She is going with them to kick some Romulan ass!"  But no, she just wanted to hang off Spock's arm and pout and beg him to be careful and come back to her.  I wanted to scream "Don't you have a station to man?  Why did you leave the bridge in the middle of a battle?  Get your ass back to your post!"  Spock should have sent her packing with a raised eyebrow and a frosty remark but instead he kissed her and reasured her and I wanted to hurl.  It was the worst moment in a movie so full of WTF moments it was hard to believe.

And now The Cage will never happen because Captain Pike's captancy is over, having lasted only a few days (for most of which he was prisoner of the Romulans).

Kara S

5 WTF Moments In Movies (Article) - 8/20/2009 3:56:24 AM

No, Uhura and Spock were not involved in the clasic series.  In the classic series Spock had his share of flings, but none with Uhura.  And Uhura was never shown as being in a romantic relationship of any sort.  She was a career woman and didn't need a relationship to make her feel like a complete person.

Of all the many things in the new ST movie that I hated, the relationship between Spock and Uhura was the thing I hated the most.

Merlin: The Moment of Truth/Labyrinth of Gedref Review (Article) - 8/18/2009 11:42:52 AM

You should watch Hercules and Xena.  They were of much higher quality than Merlin and usually pretty well written.

5 WTF Moments In Movies (Article) - 8/18/2009 11:35:43 AM

Call me crazy, but I liked the voice over in Blade Runner.  It gave the movie kind of a film noir feeling and Ford's monotone naration was endemic of how unemotional and burned out he had become through his life as a professional assassin.  Watching versions of the film without it, I miss it very much.

If you want a WTF moment from Blade Runner, try the sudden addition of a dayglow unicorn in the director's cut.  Now THAT was something entirely unexpected (and unnecessary in my oppinion).

As for Alice in Transformers 2, it struck me as a very bright move of the Decepticons to think of transforming into a human.  She made a perfect spy.  She even RODE IN BUMBLEBEE without anybody guessing her true nature.  And if a transformer could duplicate a car with, say, a leather interior, why couldn't it duplicate human skin?

Kara S

7 SFX in Movies That Changed Everything (Article) - 8/17/2009 3:53:23 AM

Wasn't there a Michael Jackson video that did morphing back in the 80s?

But I must admit that watching T2 for the first time in the theater, it blew me away.

10 Movies That Need Action Figures (Article) - 8/15/2009 3:57:16 AM

I'd want a Rachael figure before Gaff.  What did he do besides stand around and make origami figures?  Rachael took down Leon.

10 Movies That Need Action Figures (Article) - 8/14/2009 4:41:27 AM

Why do you think nobody would want a Rachel figure?  And where are Leon and Zhora?  I want a Zhora figure dressed in her stripper costume, complete with snake.

5 Movies that Ripped Off Comics (Article) - 8/14/2009 4:05:51 AM

Sonyman, Harry Potter is a rip off of Tim Hunter from The Books Of Magic from DC.  Tim Hunter was a british teen wizard from a working class background who looks EXACTLY like Harry Potter.  I showed my friend a picture of Tim Hunter and she thought it was Harry Potter.  Hunter even had an owl as a familliar.

Of course, The Books Of Magic had no equivilent of Hogwarts, Tim Hunter learned his magic on the streets of London.  So the storylines are very different.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA