All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,751 - 2,760 of 3,034

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/13/2009 11:22:08 AM

Wow, I started quite an arguenemt!

Not really my intention.  But the way some of the posters react you'd think that half the articles on the site are Cracked reprints.  They're not.  I've only noticed 1 article a week that they reprint.

And though the articles may be old, it's not the kind of content that ages.  A movie that was bad and a good target for satire three months ago is still bad and a good target for satire now.  And since I didn't read the article on Cracked.com it's new to me.

I really like the articles.  The sarcastic tone amuses me though I can see why it might not be for some tastes.  And there is usually some interesting discussion to be had on the subjects raised.  Maybe there's someone out there that actually liked the remake of The Stepford Wives better than the original (hard as that is to believe) and wants to put his oppinion forward.  If so, I'd love to discuss it with him.

So, let's all live and let live.  Those maniacs who don't like the Cracked articles just read something else and let those of us who like them, enjoy them in peace.

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/11/2009 12:37:49 PM

Every Sunday they post a funny article from Cracked.com and every single time someone complains that an article from Cracked.com was posted on this site.

Aren't people used to this by now?  If you don't want to read an article from Cracked.com, don't read the article?  Stop reading them and then complaining about them.

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/11/2009 11:59:48 AM

I remember when The Stepford Wives was remade.  After seeing the movie (it stank) I read an interview with the director (forget his name).  He said he hadn't been able to choose wether he wanted the wives to be replaced with robots or under mental control.  Since he DIDN'T THINK IT WAS IMPORTANT he left elements of both in the finished film.

Ok, HOW could it not be important?  The film doesn't make any sense at all.

Similarly, the director of the Planet Of The Apes remake (don't remember his name either) spoke about the controversial ending to his film in which the atronaut escapes from Apeworld and goes home, only to find the humans there had also been replaced by apes.  He said something like (I don't remember the exact quote) that it didn't mean anything and he just wanted to include some sureal images because it was just science fiction and it didn't matter anyway.

I quickly decided to boycott the film because if it didn't matter to the director then I saw no reason why I should waste my time and money on it.

There is a reason I don't remember these things.  I was so disgusted by both directors that I tried to block everything about them from my memory.

The moral is that a film maker who doesn't respect scifi (or any other genre in which he is working) shouldn't try to work in that genre because whatever film he makes will suck.

A New Dresden Files book (Article) - 4/11/2009 4:22:05 AM

Hobbs, the second Dresden book was the weakest in the entire series IMHO.  You might want to give him another try.

Just finished the privious Dresden book.  I'll buy this one in a year when it comes out in paperback.  I very rarely buy hardcovers.  They're too expensive and to large and heavy.

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Dream Job (Article) - 4/10/2009 4:29:13 AM

Well, we have Bruce Boxleightner as Awesome's dad and Scott Bacula as Ellie's dad.  That means that the son of the commander of Babylon 5 is marrying the daughter of the Captain of the Enterprise.

My head hurts.

The 6 Most Pointlessly Elaborate Movie Murder Plots (Article) - 4/6/2009 4:24:42 AM

I like the Cracked articles.  They are usually very funny and they entertain me.

While The Joker is crazy, I think the other villians mentined in the article were supposed to be sane (or at least sane enough to have some decent problem solving skills).  Really, why attack someone with a poisonous spider or a remote control car bomb when a less flashy plot would have a so much higher chance of success?

The Last Stand of Sarah Connor? (Article) - 4/6/2009 4:13:39 AM

According to TV Guide, Primeval is premiering on SciFi (or is that SyFy?) this Friday.  Looking forward to finally seeing this British show about dinosaurs in London.

Tor Confirms Robert Jordan's STORM Split (Article) - 4/3/2009 4:35:29 AM

Hobbs, I wasn't really impressed with the first book either.  It felt a little derivative to me.  But the second book quickly branched out into original territory.  The whole series is really great.

Early Gravestones on the Road (Article) - 4/3/2009 4:17:57 AM

And so we saw the finale of Life On Mars.  Man, that ROCKED!

The SCIFI Channel Talks SYFY (Article) - 4/2/2009 4:50:48 AM

Roci, you miss the point.  They don't WANT more hard science fiction ala Ellison on the channel.  That sort of programming doesn't have the broad appeal they desire.  They'd rather show ALF or Vampire Women vs The Giant Cockroach or Wrestling.  They'd be perfectly happy showing a test pattern if it made people tune in to see the commercials.

Now, I have to admit that I kind of enjoy some of the broader programming.  Some of the low budget B films are kind of fun.  I liked Who Wants To Be A Superhero.  And Chase was a guilty pleasure.

If these low budget things, heck, even a limited amount of wrestling, fund stuff like BSG and Stargate then let them do it.  We don't have to watch when it's on if we don't want to.

But this new name does disturb me.  I don't want the brand broadened any more than it is.  And not because I hate change.  Because they are showing less and less programming that intrests me and more programming that doesn't.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA