All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,751 - 2,760 of 3,110

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/16/2009 12:01:12 PM

Marcus was a machine being used by Skynet.  But they made him too well.  They based his mind on the  mind of an actual human being.  He thought he was an actual person with free will.  They did this because he had to be independant otherwise he would not have been a convincing spy (that he triggered the land mine was something that Skynet couldn't forsee).  If they had controlled him from afar they way they did with the other machines that we saw, that could have been detected by the human rebels.

So the question is, can a thing that was made by Skynet overcome his origins?  Can he be a real person?  Can he have, for want of a better figure of speech, a soul?  If he THINKS he's a genuine person, does tha make him one?  Or is he just fooling himself?

The answer to that question in the movie is, yes.  He gave Connor his heart, saving Connor's life when the whole purpose of the entire thing was to kill Connor.  That proves that he was an independant being, not just a helpless, brainwashed pawn.

Of course, the search for humanity in something non human isn't virgin territory in SF.  It goes back to Frankenstein, probably farther back than that.  We've got Pinoccio, and Data and the Doctor from Voyager and any other artifical intelligence that yearns to be human.  So it's not particurlarly original, but it is interesting none the less.  And I thought it was done fairly well in Terminator Salvation.  I was interested in the answer to the question.

And I'd be interested in the further adventures of Marcus Wright.  If he survives his organ donation, what will become of him.  Skynet has got to be pissed off at him.  And despite his grand gesture, will the humans in the resistance be able to accept him as a comrade?  Or will he be doomed to be alone, belonging to neither side?

Yeah, there were plot holes (did anybody check to see if Wright's heart was a good match for Connor before they put it in his chest or will it be instant organ rejection?  How did they do a heart transplant under a tent in a battlefield without Connor dying of infection?  ect)  But I thought it was a much better film than Star Trek.  I certainly found it more entertaining.

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/16/2009 10:51:11 AM

BTW Hobbs, we understand that Hollywood is a business.  We also understand that the general public might feel daunted by 40 years of ST continuity and that Paramount might want to attract these potential customers.  We know that they are delighted that the film made millions and millions of dollars.  We even understan that ST might have had to change.  But we hate the changes that were made.

Even if the Star Trek film hadn't been a Star Trek film, if it had been a space opera action flick in some other franchise with other characters I would still have thought it was a bad film.  The plot made no sense, the villian was generic and the characters acted like idiots.  And the vaunted FX were nothing that I hadn't seen before.

I'm sure you've really liked a movie that flopped big time at the box office.  And I'm sure you've seen a movie that you thought stank that was a critical and commercial success.   It happens to us all.

And just because you want to make money, it is not an excuse for making bad art.  The trick is to make a good film that also makes money, not to just churn out any old piece of trash in search of a quick buck.

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/16/2009 9:41:00 AM

I can understand why Terminator fans hated the movie.  They were doubtless expecting a movie about John Connor, that's what it was advertised as.  But while Connor was in the movie he was a supporting character at best.  The movie was about Marcus Wright.  And I'm sure loyal Terminator fans had little interest in this new character.

While I liked the first two Terminator films I wouldn't call myself a loyal fan of the franchise.  I went to the movie to see action sequences with humans fighting big robots and the movie certainly delivered on that.  It actually had a better story than I was expecting, with Marcus Wright trying to figure out who he was.  Was he just a thing, a pawn of Skynet, or was he an actual person with free will?

KaraS

The Best Male Female Match-Ups on TV (Article) - 6/16/2009 4:30:46 AM

You forgot John nd Aeryn from Farscape.

Two-Week HANGOVER for WB (Article) - 6/16/2009 4:13:52 AM

Terminator comes out 6/24 over here so we won't see it this weekend but the next one.  Looking forward to it.

I doubt it will top TDK.  Many people saw TDK to see Heath Ledger's last movie and his performance as The Joker which got great reviews.  Those people will have less interest in Optimius Prime.

My favorite movie I've seen this summer is still Angels & Demons.  So far.

KaraS

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/16/2009 4:03:38 AM

What jppintar said. Star Trek was rediculious, an exercise in flashy FX with a confused story, poor versions of the characters and a weak, derivitive villian.

Spoilers I guess.

Terminator Salvation was an exciting film. The FX were more interesting that Star Trek's (which I thought were pretty generic). I liked the motorcycle robots and the giant harvester robots and the aquatic robots were pretty cool.

And I liked the characters. Particurlarly I liked Marcus. How confusing would it be to be executed for murder and wake up several decades later to discover that you are now a cyborg? And that you were programmed to betray humanity? And that despite your best intentions, you had already done so? Wow.

There were a few cheesy spots. The inclusion of the Governator in CGI was a little jarring, I was thinking more about the FX at that point than the story. And a few shots of Marcus with parts of the skin on his face torn off to show the machinery underneath were a little unconvincing. But overall, it was a great ride and well worth the price of admission (which you can't say about every movie anymore with tickets at $10 a person).

KaraS

Two-Week HANGOVER for WB (Article) - 6/15/2009 11:37:50 AM

I saw a trailer for a Sherlock Holmes film coming at Christmas time with Robert Downey Jr.  It looks like it will be fun.

TERMINATOR Topples Overseas Again (Article) - 6/15/2009 11:33:17 AM

Um, Hanso?  I liked it.

PRIMEVAL Axed by ITV (Article) - 6/15/2009 11:31:34 AM

Well, that's a shame.  I've been really enjoying it on Scifi.

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 Movie Review (Article) - 6/15/2009 4:16:29 AM

Saw Pelham 123 yesterday and liked it.  It's not an Oscar contender but Travolta and Washington did a good job.  Not the worst movie of the summer by a long shot.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA