All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,761 - 2,770 of 3,034

The SCIFI Channel Talks SYFY (Article) - 3/27/2009 12:35:58 PM

Aside from being completely shocked by all the "you knows" (the guy comes off sounding like a moron) there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content in the interview.  What I got from it was...

A) they don't want to scare off viewers who don't want to think of themselves as geeks.

B) they think this new name is cooler and change for the sake of change is good.

C) the new name does not reflect a dilution of the SciFi brand but will allow them to include more varried content.

My reactions

A) Well, my first reaction is "frell the mundanes!" but I guess there are a lot of them out there and the more people watch the more money they get.  Still, the most successful movies ever are sci fi or fantasy and  J Q Public doesn't seem to have any problem plunking down their hard earned money to see The Dark Knight or the latest Star Wars sequel.  Why should tuning in the Scifi Channel be such a problem for them?

B) Hah!  They may think this but they are wrong.

C) double Hah!  Broadening content and not diluting the brand are diametrically opposed.  And being Scifi doesn't seem to have kept them from having a broad range of content already.

Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak Part II (Series Finale) (Article) - 3/27/2009 5:07:50 AM

Well Hobbs, if they always meant for Starbuck to be an angel they handled it in what I think is a sloppy manner.  It doesn't feel organic.  It feels tacked on.  I wanted her to ride off into the sunset with Apollo, exorcise her emotional demons and finally be happy.   I feel cheated that I cared about Kara Thrace and what her future would be and she never HAD a future because she wasn't a real person.  She was just a disguise that some heavenly being was using temporarily.

I have no beef with us not finding relics of the colonists.  150 thousand years is a long time and any technology they managed to save has doubtless rusted away by now.

While I hesitate to get involved in this debate and I certainly don't want to offend anybody's ethnicity, let me point out that the natives (who were shown for maybe 2 seconds) didn't look particurlarly african (from what I could tell) and they were actually holding spears.  I had never heard "spearchucker" used as an ethnic insult and when I read it I assumed the author meant to call the natives primitive.  Perhaps not flattering to the natives but unless you are one of those hidden neathendrals who hate Geico insurance,  it shouldn't be offensive to you.

Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak Part II (Series Finale) (Article) - 3/26/2009 4:49:31 AM

Hobbs, I don't have a problem with the invisible duplicates of Baltar and Six being identified as angels.  Personally, my religious beliefs don't include the existance of angels, but I am willing to believe that in the context of the show, wich dealt heavily with religious issues, that they would exist in the Galacticaverse.  A lot of the advice that AngelSix gave to Baltar wasn't exactly what I would describe as angelic, but I'll go with it.

However, since Starbuck returned she has acted like a very screwed up human.  She hasn't demonstrated any angelic knowledge (except for the song which the cylons already knew about) or behaviour, quite the reverse.  She has behaved mostly in a neurotic and very selfish way, especially in regards to her romantic relationships.  Positing that an angel should choose to show up in the fleet in human guise, what possible purpose could it serve for her to THINK she was a human?  And why as Kara Thrace who's return from the dead would surely be a cause for suspicion?  I doesn't make any SENSE!

You can say that God works in mysterious ways but that's a cop out.  I think that at the end Moore and company were writing the finale and then they said "Oh yeah, we have to explain Starbuck.  I know, let's make her an angel."  Deux ex machina to the extreme.  It's sloppy writing and I think I would have preferred almost any other explanation.  And it still doesn't explain how her corpse ended up on the other Earth.

Shows On the Cancellation Bubble (Article) - 3/26/2009 4:16:55 AM

In what way is a show that deals with time  travel not scifi?  I realize that Lost is character based rather than plot based and therefore may not feel like scifi to some people as scifi is generally plot based.  But with time travel, smoke monsters, immortals, ghosts, islands that can't be found on maps (or radar) and can move around when they want to and other freaky stuff, Lost is definitively not mainstream.

Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak Part II (Series Finale) (Article) - 3/24/2009 11:46:56 AM

Should anybody care what my oppinion is...

I didn't like it.

The first part where they attack the Cylon base was fine.  Lots of action and FX, just about what I expected.  That the new planet they settled on was our Earth was fine.  It was, in fact, the way I predicted the series would end.

That they spent 40 minutes with people wandering around looking at grass was unbelievable.  It went on and on.  When my VCR cut it off after 2 hours and I missed however many minutes it ran over, I didn't care.  In fact I was relieved that I didn't have to watch it any more.

What's with all the flashbacks.  When the series is steamrolling to an ending and we're waiting for the action to start I DON'T want to be stuck in flashback land.  I wan't to go forward, it's too late to be looking back.

That Starbuck was an angel is silly.  We spent so much time examining her angst and feeling her pain and it didn't matter because she wasn't even a real person (human or cylon).  And it still doesn't explain how her corpse got from the Eye of Orion (or whatever that that place was called) to the ruined Earth.  Her ship exploded.  He mortal remains should have been vaporized in deep space.

No matter how tired the colonists were of looking at bulkheads, why should they want to give up ALL technology?  A year ago my appendix burst.  Medical technology saved me.  If I'd been wandering the african savanna with a group of hunter/gatherers I'd be dead.  Don't tell me that this possibility didn't occur to anybody or that there might not have been people who were injured or differently abled or needed medication and who NEEDED modern medecine to survive.  Did they just leave those people behind in a field?

The finale just kind of underwhelmed me.

TWILIGHT Sells 3 Million DVDs (Article) - 3/24/2009 3:41:00 AM

Of course it was going to be a chick flick.  It's from a series of books marketed to teenage girls.  What did you expect?

10 Scenes of Brutal Violence Guaranteed to Make You Laugh (Article) - 3/23/2009 4:19:37 AM

Lay off poor Star Trek, they had miscule budget for things like monster costumes and it was made in 1968.  What seems so laughable now as perfectly acceptable back then.

Shows On the Cancellation Bubble (Article) - 3/23/2009 4:13:18 AM

We must save Chuck and Medium!  They are both such  great shows.

My prediction is, this Jay Leno deal is going to sink like a stone.  I think there will be a limited appeal for him every night at 10:00.

My underwstanding about Life On Mars is that it will not end on a cliff hanger.  I'm confused about why it failed so badly.  IMHO, it was the best new series this season.  It was really well written and well acted.  People who have seen both say the British original was better.  Not having seen the original I can't tell, but I suspect they were just used to it.  If you loved the original of anything the remake can never match up.

Battlestar Galactica's Final Farewell (Article) - 3/21/2009 5:12:57 AM

Spoilers for The Prestige

Danton blamed Borden for the death of his fiance.  The girl tried to do an escape from a tank of water but couldn't untie her hands in time and drowned.  Danton accused Borden of tying her hands with a difficult knot instead of an easy one.  Borden proclaimed he was innocent of this but there were 2 Bordens.  I kind of got the feeling that while the Borden who proclaimed his innocence was, indeed, innocent, his brother had actually tied the girl's hands and was responsible for her death.

Danton felt that if he couldn't have a family due to Borden killed his wife-to-be, he would take Borden's daughter and have a family that way.  I felt that he would raise the daughter to the best of his ability, not take out his anger on her, but that's just my perception.  And since he didn't realize that Borden had a brother he thought the girl had no other family and would need a guardian.

That Danton arranged for Borden to be excecuted for his own murder is a seperate issue.  The two had been trying to out do eachother for so many years that eventually led up to a duel to the death, illusionist style.  Of course, Borden tried to save Danton when he saw him drowning and Danton was happy to stand back and watch Borden hang.

As for why Borden didn't clue his wife in that there were 2 of him, the brothers were probably afraid that if she knew about it she wouldn't put up with it and it would mean the end of their big secret.  As for why the woman didn't guess after years of marriage, I suppose she might have known deep down, but who would have guessed such a thing?

Battlestar Galactica's Final Farewell (Article) - 3/19/2009 12:01:27 PM

The Prestige has a happy ending?  I'm sorry, were we watching different films?

SPOILERS FOR THE PRESTIGE!!!!!

They both DIED!  How can that be a happy ending?

And while I'm being all spoilery...

The reason the wife thought that her husband didn't love her was that identical twins were sharing their life as one man and as one husband.  Only one of the twins loved her.  When she was with the twin who loved her she felt loved.  When she was with the twin who didn't love her he was cold to her and she felt unloved.  This back and forth confused her and made her think she was going crazy and she killed herself.  Danton had nothing to do with that.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA