All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,781 - 2,790 of 3,101

Instruction Manuals for the U.S.S. Enterprise (Article) - 5/18/2009 3:59:36 AM

You think that JJ Abrams version is less goofy?  Unbelievable.

ANGELS Nearly Stunned by Trek (Article) - 5/18/2009 3:58:27 AM

I'm finding it throughly disappointing how popular the Star Trek film is.  I guess special effects will win out over an intelligent script every time.  Why write interesting dialogue or a plot that doesn't look like swiss cheese when you can watch a planet implode?  It's sad.

STAR TREK Debut Nets $7 Mil (Article) - 5/14/2009 12:35:18 PM

V'Ger and the probe from ST IV weren't really villians at all.  They had no evil motives and the fact that their actions killed or endangered people was totally unplanned by them.

The Borg were doing what the Borg do.

Most of the other ST movies have featured villians who blew up planets and stars and things which killed or threatened to kill billions of people, usually because they were pissed off at some Enterprise crew member, TOS or TNG.  You know, that's getting boring.

Solving the Fans Economic Crisis Part Two (Article) - 5/14/2009 4:22:43 AM

Ben, you asked about Farscape.  Farscape was the best thing since sliced bread.  In fact, it was BETTER than sliced bread.  It was smart and creative and took chances and most of the time that paid off big time.  Occasionally it crashed and burned, but if you take risks there is always going to be the occasional failure.  Better the occasional dud episode among the gems than a long stretch of mediocrity.

It's not for everyone.  There were some people who just couldn't get past the fact that some of the characters were played by anamatronic puppets.  But most people with good imaginations didn't have that problem.

While the stories were mostly self contained in the first season, starting in the second season it got into some very dense arcs and by season 3 coming in cold would probably leave you completely confused.  And it got really dark in some places.  I mean really dark.

But was it worth it?  Hell yeah!  It was an experience you really shouldn't miss.

The current run of Farscape comics are cute, but they really don't do the original justice.

Kara S

STAR TREK Debut Nets $7 Mil (Article) - 5/14/2009 3:54:21 AM

And Harry Mudd was not a movie villian.

I would love to see Harry Mudd or a similar character in a ST movie.  I admit that Mudd's motivation, greed, is something I can understand and therefore I find that character more interesting than yet another vengence crazed psychopath.

Not being a crazed psychopath myself I find that kind of character hard to understand or empathize with and while seeing such a character is interesting once, when you get to the fifth or sixth time it starts to wear thin.

Kara S

STAR TREK (Article) - 5/11/2009 12:41:44 PM

Hobbs, the reason the movies after First contact failed was, they weren't very good movies, ST or no ST.  The highest grossing of the ST films was ST IV because it was a great film.  It's as simple as that.  A really good film will usually make better box office than a mediocre one.

redhairs, perhaps ST has a small fan base compared to to all the people who go to movies every day.  My question is still, why should the movie goers who are not ST fans and not part of the fanbase be more attracted to a Star Trek movie with Kirk than one with Captain Ramalovich?  By definition, they are not fans of the franchise and have no particurlar attraction to Kirk.  They don't know him.

SPOILERS - natch

Now, I actually saw the movie yesterday and it wasn't as horrible as I had expected it to be.  I wrote a long post about some things I didn't like about it in the box office report thread, mostly dealing with why I hated the engineering sets, and so most of you have probably read that already.  (though I will reiterate, Spock and Uhura making out in the elevator?  Nooooooo!)  I disliked other things, about the plot.  Such as, why is EVERY villian in a ST movie fucking nuts?  And how could old Spock and Kirk have such a good view of Vulcan imploding unless the planet they were on was in the same solar system (and really, really close to Vulcan) and I was quite sure that by the time Kirk was ejected from the Enterprise they had been in warp for a while and were most definitely not in the Vulcan system.

I liked most of the actors (except for Checkov who, IMHO, sucked).  I thougth Quinto was great as Spock, and I loved Scotty.  Pine as Kirk and Urban as Bones were good.   Sulu was fine.  Uhura would have been fine if she hadn't been trying to jump down Spock's throat at every opportunity, though that was a problem with the script, not the actress.

An interesting thing.  I was at at 3:40 showing, there were maybe a dozen people there.  I took my 71 year old mother (she loved it by the way) and while there was was one kid who was there with his grandfather, the other moviegoers were all at least my age, most older.  While I didn't talk to any of them I'm sure they were all Trekkies who had loved the franchise for decades.  There were no young people there who were unfamilliar with the franchise, there to see the pretty explosions.  Of course, the theater in general was pretty dead so it's not like viewers were boycotting the film in favor of seeing something else.  They were just off celebrating Mother's Day in some other way than by going to the movies.

Kara S

STAR TREK Debut Nets $7 Mil (Article) - 5/11/2009 4:46:54 AM

Well, it wasn't as bad as I was fearing.  I overall liked the new actors.  But some things still rubbed me the wrong way.

SPOILERVILLE

Spock and Uhura making out in the elevator?  Oh come on!  Spock may have been young but he was never young enough to do something so undignified.

And the Enterprise is now apparently powered by steam engines.  Um, well, that was... unexpected.  In TOS the warp engines were powered by dilithium crystals in a quantity that you could hold in your hand.  Now the engine room is huge and filled with tubes and vats containing water or some other clear, non dangerous liquid.  In a scene straight out of Willy Wonka, Scotty gets sucked through the tubes towards a spinning fan that will chop him to bits until Kirk gets him out through a handy release vent, put there, presumably, to release clumsy engineering trainees who get themselves sucked into the pipes like idiots.  Wait, did I say Willy Wonka?  I meant Galaxy Quest!  But I digress.  Since engineering progress is geared towards miniturization, going form an engine which is powered by a handfull of crystals to one full of tubes and vats and fans seems to be a big step backwards.

And Nero, he witnesses the destruction of his planet and gets sucked back in time.  What does he do?  Does he go to Romulus and buy stocks he knows will do well, bet on ball teams he knows will win and, maybe, warn his people that a supernova will destroy the planet in 150 years?  No.  He decides to destroy a bunch of other planets instead.  You'd think that even if he was as crazy as a bed bug, some of the other people on his ship would have a few smarts.  And why are all ST movie villians stone cold crazy?  Aren't there any rational people in the 23rd century who want to wreak havoc as part of some rational plan to accomplish some goal other than revenge?

Kara S

Star Trek's 6 Most Ridiculous Alien Races (Article) - 5/9/2009 12:12:08 PM

Well, A Piece Of The Action was always one of my favorite eps. ST did comedy so well.

STAR TREK (Article) - 5/9/2009 12:08:09 PM

Redhairs, I don't know if are old enough to remember when Star Wars first came out.  (I mean Star Wars: A New Hope but they added the new hope part much later and it will always be just Star Wars to me.)  There was a movie full of characters we had never heard of in a universe we were completely unfamilliar with and yet, despite the fact that Star Wars didn't have 40 years worth of press  behind it, it was a hit and made lots of money.  So did The Matrix and Back to The Future and Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Jurasic Park and a whole bunch of others

Why?  Because they were good movies.

In fact, most movies are not part of pre-existing franchises and some of them do phenemonally well, in fact, become the foundation on which new franchises are built.

It is more common for a movie to spawn TV series than the other way around.  Or it used to be.  Now we are awash with movie versions of old TV series and most of them sink like stones.  Why?  Because while they have brand recognition they are bad films.

Hollywood moguls think that all you need is a familliar name and you'll have a hit.  They greenlight Green Acres the Movie, forgetting that the reason Green Acres was popular was because of Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor.  Then you get a piece of trash starring Justin Timberlake and Lindsey Lohan, set in the hood instead of the country, written by someone who couldn't pass the high school regents English test and scored with hip hop and rap music.  God forbid!

But I digress...

A new Star Trek film with new cast wouldn't have to start from scratch.  Put a big Star Trek logo on it to attract the people who are already fans and then treat it like it was a brand new movie.  Introduce the new characters and situations like it was brand new.  It might seem a slow start to those of us who already know a Klingon form a Cardassian but we'd get by.  Then send your new crew with new actors on a slam bang action ride across the galaxy and everybody, new fans and old, will be satisfied and have a wonderful time.

Kara S

STAR TREK (Article) - 5/9/2009 10:01:29 AM

Chemikillgod, I haven't seen the film yet, but from what I understand, due to some business with a timewarp, the bridge crew of the Enterprise meet eachother and go on adventures BEFORE they are assigned to the Enterprise in direct contradiction of established contunity.  Abrams did this on purpose BECAUSE he didn't want to be bothered to be accurate.  And because trying to fit new adventures into 40 years of established continuity was too damn hard.  He wiped the slate clean so he could craft his own adventures from scratch in his own way.  That's the whole purpose of the movie.

As per my previous post, you can see that having new adventures told in a different way doesn't upset me.  The franchise needed a new direction because it stagnated and died.  What upsets me is that in order to find his new direction, Abrams thought he had to trash all that had gone before.

Kara S