All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,791 - 2,800 of 3,098

STAR TREK (Article) - 5/8/2009 11:33:24 AM

Joeybaloney, you are so eloquent.  You said exactly what I've been trying to say.

I get the feeling that Abrams thinks Star Trek is old fashioned and dumb.  So he wants to change it to make it "cool".  What he fails to realize is that the definition of "cool" changes and what looks cool today will look dated and dumb in a few years.  Star Trek has something that has made it popular for 40 years with 5 TV series (six if you count the cartoon), 7 movies and countless tie in novels, toys and games.  There have been hugely popular Star Trek conventions for generations.

You know, this Star Trek might just have something, some quality that's worth something.  It might be something that Abrams in his quest for cool might not understand or value.  And that would be sad.

BTW, I get the feeling that certain Maniacs might feel that Star Trek is old fashioned and dumb also which is why they are so pumped that it has been reimagined.  If so, you are entitled to that oppinion.  I probably don't like all the franchises that you value either.  But the attitude that those of us who fear that something we love has been tarnished should stop counting rivets and get a life is getting on my nerves.  We have as much right to be nervous as you do to be pumped.

Kara S

The Best of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Article) - 5/7/2009 12:49:39 PM

My favorite TNG episode, I think it's called Brothers (though I could be wrong) is the one where Data is kidnapped by Dr Soon and then Lore shows up.  I also liked the one where Data had a daughter.

Probably my least favorite was the one where parts of the Enterprise were turning into a stone temple.  And it didn't seem to affect hull integrity.  My second least favorite was the one where the crew were de-evolving.  Did you know that humans evolved from Spiders?  Me neither.

STAR TREK (Article) - 5/7/2009 12:36:04 PM

I'll see the film and who knows, I may like it.  But it's supposed to be "not your father's Star Trek".  And since I'm old enough to be the parent of the new fan that Abrams is courting, he has stated that this is not the film for me.  So what am I supposed to think?

I guess I'll just have to plunk down my money and see you all on Monday to debate the film's merrits.

Kara S

10 Reasons to be Worried About STAR TREK (Article) - 5/7/2009 12:03:48 PM

"Another thing if most of you guys are so smart and talented why are none of you directing or writing Star Trek... None of you are creative enough to pull it off...Could any of you have done any better."

Probably because we are not hollywood writers or directors.  This does not mean we can't have an oppinion about movies.  If I go to a resturant and do not enjoy my meal I don't have to be a professional chef to know the food sucked.  Neither do you.  We just have to be customers who want good value for our money, wether in a meal or a movie.

10 Reasons to be Worried About STAR TREK (Article) - 5/7/2009 4:12:52 AM

>Everybody is a critic. Fanboys bashed the Star Wars prequels and then went to the toy store to compete with kids for the toys.<

Not all of us who hated the Star Wars prequels went to the toy store.  Some of us saw the films, hated them, and then tried to forget we ever saw them because they disgraced the memory of the first 3 films that we loved so much.

As for the new BSG, I liked it and I watched it.  It was a quality show.  But it was so different from the original it could have been a different show.  I wish it HAD been a different show.  If they had done the exact same show but used different names for the characters it would have been just as good.

I still haven't forgiven them for making Starbuck a woman.

And I really don't wat to see these things happening to Star Trek.

Kara S

NBC Announces Pick-ups for 2009-2010 (Article) - 5/5/2009 12:16:03 PM

snallygaster, you are not the only one at Mania who follows Medium.

Dollhouse Hangs up the Barbie Clothes (Article) - 5/5/2009 4:17:20 AM

None of you watch Reaper on Tuesdays?  Why not?

NBC Announces Pick-ups for 2009-2010 (Article) - 5/5/2009 4:07:59 AM

TRAUMA

Executive producer Peter Berg (NBC's "Friday Night Lights") delivers "Trauma," the first high-octane medical drama series to live exclusively in the field where the real action is. Like an adrenaline shot to the heart, "Trauma" is an intense, action-packed look at one of the most dangerous medical professions in the world: first responder paramedics.

Does nobody remember the 70's show, Emergency, about paramedics?  As I remember, it was an entertaining show.  But the fact that it exists means that Trauma is not the first.

10 Reasons to be Worried About STAR TREK (Article) - 5/4/2009 12:45:44 PM

Maybe I should tell you a little bit about myself.  I'm a middle aged woman and I was inducted into the cult of Trek by my mother who held me on her lap to watch it when it originally broadcast.  I was 2.  I'm a card carying Trekkie.

I grew up with Kirk and Spock as part of my life.  We would watch Star Trek every evening during dinner for years and my brother and I could recite the dialogue verbatim and could tell you which episode it was from watching 30 seconds of the teaser.

When the movies came out my family saw them all in the theater.  When TNG came out I saw it at college.  Some like minded friends and I made a party out of it every week.

Star Trek is special to me.  The characters are part of my family.  Sneer if you like, you probably have something special to you too.

What is it?  Is it Star Wars?  Imagine that Star Wars is remade with new actors and instead of meeting for the first time at the bar in Mos Eisley, Luke and Han grew up together and dated the same girl in high school.

Is it Batman?  Imagine they make a Batman movie but decide the name Bruce isn't cool and rename the character Cosmo.

Imagine that the fictional universe that you love is being remade by someone who is unfamilliar with it or doesn't like it and has stated that he will "improve" it and make it different for a new generation who have different likes and values.  I don't care how great his other projects are, you are going to be very uneasy that he's going to screw it up.  That he's going to make changes that don't need to be made just for the sake of being different.  That this new movie will have the same name but be nothing like show that you remember.

Perhaps it will be good.  But I'm not holding my breath.  It may even be a good movie but if it's too different from what I loved about the original, it won't be Star Trek to me.

Kara S

Box Office is OBSESSED (Article) - 4/27/2009 3:55:09 AM

Like wessmith, I grew up on ST reruns.  My family watched them every night over dinner and we could all repeat the dialogue by heart.

I'm sure that  people who aren't as familliar with the old series and think of William Shatner as "that guy from Boston Legal" will love it to death.  But Abrams seems, from what I've read, to have a kind of "continuity is for chumps" attitude.  From what I've read the story will contradict established continuity and no matter how great the movie is objectively, for me it will suck.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA