All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,811 - 2,820 of 3,033

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/23/2009 11:53:12 AM

When I first started reading comic books my family was appalled.  We sent you to college to get hooked on COMIC BOOKS?

When my mother thought of comic books she thought of Donald Duck and other titles meant for small children and as a child I was always taught that comic books were lowbrow, disposable entertainment that nobody with intelligence would have any interest in.

Those of us who talk about Graphic Novels just want it to be understood that we are dealing with literature designed for adults and we're not going ga ga over Sesame Street or something of the quality of professional wrestling.

Additionally, Watchmen is not just a story arc.  It is a novel.  It has a beginning, a middle and an end.  It was designed as a stand alone work.  The medium it is presented in is sequential art, comic books if you will, but it is no more a comic book than a movie is Days Of Our Lives.

Sorry if that's too pompus or snobbish for you but there it is.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/23/2009 4:36:06 AM

Actually, Hooded Justice was the first costumed vigilante to make the scene.  Nite owl was the second.

Yes, she IS that big a Watchmen geek!  Waiting for bated breath for the movie.

Chuck: Versus the Third Dimension (Article) - 2/5/2009 4:09:26 AM

Not a football fan so I had no idea that you were supposed to wear 3D glasses for some of the adds.  I had understood that the glasses would be available where Pepsi products were sold but couldn't find any.

I had 3D glasses that came with the TV Guide a few years ago to watch an episode of Medium with.  I kept them for a couple of years on the theory that I would eventually need them again but eventually threw them away.  Oh well.

I thought it was a very funny episode but I wish the Buy More plots would have more to do with Chuck.  Some weeks you could be watching two different shows, the Buy More and spy plots diverge so much.

Week of February 2, 2009 (Article) - 2/3/2009 3:41:53 AM

(3-D glasses are available for free anywhere that sells SoBe Lifewater.)

And yet, I couldn't find any.  Fortunately, the episode was perfectly viewable without them.

I've never had a big problem with Heroes.  Sure, you can pick nits till you're blue in the face but I've been consistently entertained by it, even when it was gothicly convoluted.  And this persecution of the superpowered looks like a good direction, even if The X-Men has been plowing this field for years.

5 Innovative Ways Hollywood Is Screwing You Over (Article) - 1/27/2009 4:16:29 AM

A thing about the commercials.  I don't really mind the commercials if they are commercials for something being sold in the theater.  Do they sell Coke and Snickers Bars at the concession stand?  Then commercials for Coke or Snickers Bars are not out of place.  But why do I want to see a car commercial at the  theater?  Am I going car shopping on the way home?

They COULD make new and more interesting commercials that would be shown exclusively in the theater.  That would hold my interest more than seeing the same commercial that I have seen dozens of times already.

Foursome Join New STARGATE (Article) - 1/23/2009 4:16:21 AM

I don't feel that SG:A was getting tired.  I felt it was just getting better and the character were getting more real and interesting.  It started off as a mediocre show and became great.  The ratings were going UP.

Why did they cancel it?  Money.  They wanted to start a new show with cheaper actors who hadn't been getting raises for 5 years.

Why should we get invested in this new show if they are going to cancel it, just when it is in it's creative prime, and start a fourth show with new, and therefore cheaper, actors?  I feel very dubious about this new program.

TV WASTELAND- Week of January 5th, 2009 (Article) - 1/8/2009 4:17:56 AM

Hobbs, BECAUSE the last episode of Atlantis is this week.  It's a genre show that has run for 5 years and has many fans.  WHY do they constantly ignore it?  They cover other shows on Scifi.  Monday's entry is RERUNS of Lost on Scifi.  You know that when BSG gets back there will be exhaustive coverage.

I assumed it was because our former beloved columnist didn't like it and has said as much.  Even so we eventually convinced him to include it in his list of shows for the week.  What's this new guy's excuse?

I'm not asking for the moon.  I just want a mention that the series finale is on Friday.  It's momentous because Atlantis wasn't cancelled by the network for low ratings.  Ratings were up.  It was cancelled because the production company wanted to make direct to DVD movies instead. So they can charge us to see something we used to get for free (or with our subscription to cable anyway). And they wanted to do another show that was cheaper to produce instead.

This is a BAD precedent.  Do I really want to get invested in Stargate Universe if they are going to cancel it at the height of it's popularity to make direct to DVD movies and start yet another series with cheaper actors in it?  Do we want other production companies to follow this model?  You know that if it proves profitable once then others will jump on the band waggon.

So, it's not too late to worry.  It's time to get started worrying.

TV WASTELAND- Week of January 5th, 2009 (Article) - 1/6/2009 4:20:22 AM

Bryzarro, because we Gaters don't get no respect here and it's grating.  Try having them ignore the series finale of you favorite show in favor of showcasing a cartoon and see how you feel.

TV WASTELAND- Week of January 5th, 2009 (Article) - 1/6/2009 4:17:03 AM

Well, let's give the new columnist a chance to find his groove but I have to agree.  This is sub par.

There are frequently lots more than 1 show per day that are of intrest and it would be nice if all shows in the demographic were mentioned.  Particurlarly when those include the season finale of Sanctuary and the series finale of SG Atlantis, a show which has run for 5 years and has many fans.

What is mentioned on Friday instead?  Batman: the Brave and the Bold?  It's a bad joke.

And the new site design does suck.  You want to read an article and click on it and it doesn't go through and the article you wanted to read disappears before you can try to click on it again.  Very frustrating!  And what was the point of an upgrade?  I'd just gotten the hang of the site again since the last upgrade?

BOX OFFICE- A Barking Success for MARLEY (Article) - 1/5/2009 4:05:01 AM

Still no movies that I'm even slightly interested in seeing.  What a shame.

Why do they change the site every 6 months or so?  That's so confusing!  I can understand wanting to spruce up an old site but we'd hardly gotten used to the site since the last upgrade.  I don't see that they are adding anything to our viewing experience.  Why can't they pick a look and stick with it for awhile?

My favorite version of the site was 2 upgrades ago.  Any chance they could go back to that?

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA