All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,811 - 2,820 of 3,109

Box Office is OBSESSED (Article) - 4/27/2009 3:55:09 AM

Like wessmith, I grew up on ST reruns.  My family watched them every night over dinner and we could all repeat the dialogue by heart.

I'm sure that  people who aren't as familliar with the old series and think of William Shatner as "that guy from Boston Legal" will love it to death.  But Abrams seems, from what I've read, to have a kind of "continuity is for chumps" attitude.  From what I've read the story will contradict established continuity and no matter how great the movie is objectively, for me it will suck.

6 Superheroes Who Completely Lost Their Shit (Article) - 4/25/2009 11:42:27 AM

Arcade was always one of my favorite Marvel villians.  He knew enough not to take himself so damn seriously all the time.  Pluss, he was kind of cute.

17 AGAIN Topples Cranky Report (Article) - 4/23/2009 12:29:49 PM

a)Why does it need to be rebooted?  To be honest, rather than rebooting it I would prefer that there were no more stories about Kirk and company.  I don't want to see someone other than William Shatner playing Kirk.  He's not James Bond that the character can be recast ad infinitum.

b) Time travel and altering timelines is a cop out.  If you are going to go that route then nothing matters.  Kirk and Spock met for the first time when they served  on the Enterprise, no, they first met at the academy, no, they were in kindergarten together, no, they were born in the same hospital and switched at birth (but Spock is several decades older than Kirk, doesn't matter, it can be retconned away).

I suppose that if ST:TOS isn't such a big part of your childhood as it is mine and Kirk is just another character to you it doesn't matter.  But for me it's a cultural touchstone.

And great movies don't get stale.  The Wizard of Oz doesn't need to be remade.  Just watch the original again, it's still great.  ST:TOS is the same.  The FX may not pack the punch they once did, but the stories are still great and still have meaning.

Heroes: I Am Sylar (Article) - 4/23/2009 12:14:49 PM

I think the reason they are giving Sylar so many emotional problems is because otherwise, he would be too powerful.  If he actually had his act together he would be unstopable.  That being said, I found his dialogues with himself as his mother very tiresome.  They should just have him lose all his powers and have to start collecting them from the beginning again like they apparently did to Peter.

What did Nathan think would happen when he confronted Syalar?  I don't think he did much thinking.  He was offended to have Sylar impersonate him and flew off the handle.  It's not too surprising.  Nathan isn't very bright.  For most of the series he's let his parents take turns leading him around by the nose.  Whenever he's tried to take independant action it's gone horribly wrong.  Luckily for Claire, she seems to have inherrited her mother's IQ instead of his.

What happened to Molly?  Weren't Mohinder and Matt coparenting her in season 2?  You'd think that Hunter guy could get a lot of milage out of someone who could locate anybody anywhere in the world.

As for our beloved columnust, I agree that a certain amount of objectivity is required.  That's why we bother to read an official review instead of unsolicited rants on a message board.  If he hates the show that much, someone else should review it.

SCI FI & Smith Have BUSINESS (Article) - 4/21/2009 11:32:58 AM

Talk about well traveled territory!  There are 3 or 4 receint shows that have used this concept, including Medium which is still on the air.  True, a new spin could reinvogorate the material and make it seem fresh but as it stands this only evokes a big yawn from me.  Can't they find something new to do?

But really, what do we really expect form a channel called Syfy?

5 Cosmic Events That Could Kill You Before Lunch (Article) - 4/20/2009 11:39:21 AM

I usually really enjoy these Cracked articles but I din't find this one that funny.  I guess the possible sudden and unpreventable extinction of the human race just doesn't have that giggle factor...

17 AGAIN Topples Cranky Report (Article) - 4/20/2009 11:37:12 AM

I'm feeling so torn about the new ST film.  I'm afraid I'm a bit of a continuity nazi and it sounds like the film is going to make a hash out of established ST continuity.  Then again, I want to see Zachary Quinto as Spock.

Why reboot something that didn't need to be rebooted anyway?

Zombies Ate My Column! (Article) - 4/20/2009 11:28:35 AM

Journey to the Center of the Earth (HBO, 8:00 PM EDT)
On the other end of the cool scale is this noisy, pointless remake of the Jules Verne classic, which has absolutely nothing to recommend it besides the 3-D effects (effects which presumably won't be ported over from your local IMAX theater).

I'll tell you what it's got.  It's got Brendan Frasier running around all sweaty in a damp tank top.  That's easily enough reason to check it out, but the T-Rex was cool too.

KaraS

New HALF-BLOOD Trailer (Article) - 4/17/2009 11:29:50 AM

Hermione may be simmering with jealousy, but she doesn't simper.  It's just not her style.

FLASH GORDON to be "Gritty and real" (Article) - 4/17/2009 4:29:19 AM

As for scientific integrity, it's as important in scifi as it is in contemporary fiction.  If in an otherwise mainstream detective movie the director decided that for plot reasons Niagra Falls would run backwards and water would flow up hill, nobody would accept it.  It would be roundly derided as trash.  So why do directors think that fudging scientific acuracy is ok if the movie is set on Mars?

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA