All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,851 - 2,860 of 3,109

Clive Cussler to Pay Millions in Legal Fees (Article) - 3/16/2009 12:00:45 PM

I really liked Sahara the movie.  I thought it was a fun ride, very entertaining.  On the strength of my enjoyment of the movie I tried reading one of his books but found it disappointing.  I thought it was badly written and didn't finish it.

Just goes to show you, huh?

MACGYVER To Big Screen (Article) - 3/16/2009 11:53:04 AM

Didn't MacGyver have a son?  A MacGyver The Next Generation might be cute.

Battlestar Galactica's Final Farewell (Article) - 3/16/2009 11:48:46 AM

Borden wasn't deliberately nasty to his wife.  I can't go into details without getting spoilery but she was just very sensitive to nuances which she misinterperated.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/16/2009 11:40:42 AM

Thank you shadowprime.  I think you have captured the essence of what I have been trying to say.

BTW, I talked to 2 coworkers today who hated Watchmen, one directly because of the graphic violence portrayed.  The other because he found it confusing (and he's not a stupid guy).

I've been familliar with the story for 25 years so I have been curious how someone coming to it cold would see it and if, without the background of the novel it was comprehensible.  Apparently not so much.

MACGYVER To Big Screen (Article) - 3/16/2009 4:09:11 AM

I loved MacGuyver.  I had the biggest crush on him!  Is Richard Dean Anderson going to do this movie?  If not, count me out.

One thing that always amused me about  MacGuyver, he was so against guns but he had no objection to blowing people up or doing violence to them in other ways.  It's a little hypocritical.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/16/2009 4:00:51 AM

Gauleyboy, you're still missing my point.  In his attempt to be shocking Snyder has made his movie unpleasant to watch.  Why should people spend their hard earned cash to see something unpleasant?

Perhaps you and I see Watchmen in different ways.  From what I understand from your arguements (and I could be wrong) you think Watchmen was a great story because it portrayed graphic violence and gore in a way that was not common in comics 25 years ago.  In order to portray the spirit of Watchmen as it was seen then, Snyder had to be as over the top in goriness 2009 style as More was 1985 style.

I don't see it that way.  To me Watchmen was great because it did 2 things.  First it portrayed heros in a more realistic way than they had been portrayed before.  The characters in Watchmen were faliable in ways that comic book characters usually aren't, with real problems that real people might have.  If costumed vigalantes were real they would be more likely to be like the characters in Watchmen than X-Men or Superman.

Secondly, It was a novel with a beginning, middle and end that used literary tricks that aren't often used in comic books, things like foreshadowing and metaphor.  This was the first time (to my knowledge) that a comic book had been written in such a litterary manner.  Believe me, Time magazine didn't vote Watchmen one of the 100 greatest novels of the 20th century because it showed pictures of blood and gore.

That Watchmen was bloody and shocking didn't make it great for me and if that is all that there was to it then it would have been forgotten by 1986.

The 7 Most Powerful Wizards (Too Lazy to Use Their Powers) (Article) - 3/14/2009 6:06:49 AM

Gargamel is one of the 7 most powerful wizards in cinematic history?  Really?

WATCHMEN the Week After (Article) - 3/14/2009 5:31:33 AM

Funny, I understood why the pirate comic was there and what it meant  the first time I read it.  It enriched the story for me.  And I really missed it in the movie.  Looking forward to the DVD release that includes it.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/14/2009 5:23:44 AM

BTW, I read Watchmen for the first time in 1985.  I was a regular reader of comics at the time and was familliar with the state of comics back then.  Watchmen blew me away.  I loved it.  I loved how real it was to show a superhero who was impotent, one who was crazy, one who was a publicity hound, one who was a viscious bastard who did what he did because he enjoyed hurting people.

Watchmen the comic IS violent and full of gore.  If they had stuck to the gore that was in the comic I wouldn't have complained.  But they added more gore and it looks much more realistic in the movie than it did on the printed page.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/14/2009 4:41:38 AM

I'm sorry gauleyboy but you misunderstood me.  Allow me to clarify.  I never said that a movie shouldn't make a point or have a message.  I believe a movie should have a message.  A movie without a message is just an insubstantial spectacal, like junk food.  But a movie should also be entertaining.  If it doesn't entertain then it can't convey it's message properly.  It's like a nutritious meal that tastes bad and which nobody is going to want to eat.

Personally, I found that far from entertaining me, the ultra gore portrayed in the movie repulsed me.  It made the movie less entertaining than it would have been if less gore had been shown.  And furthermore, it obscured the message that I felt the film should have been trying to portray, the message that I got from the book.

The message that I got from the book was that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Ozymandis, in order to save humanity from a nuclear war, killed a million people and scared the #$%^&* out of everybody on planet Earth.  In the process he lied, committed murder and betrayed people who trusted him.  He used his position as a celebrity to pull a massive con job on the entire planet.  And he'd been planning it for years.  He turned himself into a monster on par with the most terrible people in human history.  And he had started out as such a sympathetic character.

I really didn't get that message from the movie.  The portrayal of Ozymandis in the film was different from the character I saw in the book, colder and less sympathetic.  I never felt that he was saving humanity because he cared about them, more because it would be less fun to be rich and powerful on a bombed out planet.  And without the pirate comic to really point out the metaphor, the point that he had sold his soul to save others was lost.

Well, I didn't see it.  I was looking for it but  perhaps I was just too busy going "Eeew, gross!" about all the extraneous gore to notice it.  The friend I took to the movie didn't see it either.  She never read Watchmen.  When I asked her what the movie had been about she thought the message of the movie was that people are selfish and evil.  She said that she had seen that point made by many other films and didn't need to see it again.  And she thought the ultra violence and gore were very upsetting and unpleasant to see.  She didn't like Watchmen very much and I think she wished she hadn't seen it though she was too polite to tell me so.

I don't need a movie to tell me that violence and gore are unpleasant. I already know that.

So I guess my biggest objections to the movie is that I found the gore and ultra violence unpleasant and worse, they obscured what I thought should have been the message that the movie should have been trying to portray.  That makes it bad art.

Maybe Snyder wasn't trying to portray  that message, I don't know.  Maybe he didn't see the message in the book that I did and was therefore not trying to portray it.  Maybe he made a movie that said exactly what he wanted it to.  Maybe you didn't see that message in the book and therefore didn't miss it in the movie.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA