All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,851 - 2,860 of 3,117

Shows On the Cancellation Bubble (Article) - 3/23/2009 4:13:18 AM

We must save Chuck and Medium!  They are both such  great shows.

My prediction is, this Jay Leno deal is going to sink like a stone.  I think there will be a limited appeal for him every night at 10:00.

My underwstanding about Life On Mars is that it will not end on a cliff hanger.  I'm confused about why it failed so badly.  IMHO, it was the best new series this season.  It was really well written and well acted.  People who have seen both say the British original was better.  Not having seen the original I can't tell, but I suspect they were just used to it.  If you loved the original of anything the remake can never match up.

Battlestar Galactica's Final Farewell (Article) - 3/21/2009 5:12:57 AM

Spoilers for The Prestige

Danton blamed Borden for the death of his fiance.  The girl tried to do an escape from a tank of water but couldn't untie her hands in time and drowned.  Danton accused Borden of tying her hands with a difficult knot instead of an easy one.  Borden proclaimed he was innocent of this but there were 2 Bordens.  I kind of got the feeling that while the Borden who proclaimed his innocence was, indeed, innocent, his brother had actually tied the girl's hands and was responsible for her death.

Danton felt that if he couldn't have a family due to Borden killed his wife-to-be, he would take Borden's daughter and have a family that way.  I felt that he would raise the daughter to the best of his ability, not take out his anger on her, but that's just my perception.  And since he didn't realize that Borden had a brother he thought the girl had no other family and would need a guardian.

That Danton arranged for Borden to be excecuted for his own murder is a seperate issue.  The two had been trying to out do eachother for so many years that eventually led up to a duel to the death, illusionist style.  Of course, Borden tried to save Danton when he saw him drowning and Danton was happy to stand back and watch Borden hang.

As for why Borden didn't clue his wife in that there were 2 of him, the brothers were probably afraid that if she knew about it she wouldn't put up with it and it would mean the end of their big secret.  As for why the woman didn't guess after years of marriage, I suppose she might have known deep down, but who would have guessed such a thing?

Battlestar Galactica's Final Farewell (Article) - 3/19/2009 12:01:27 PM

The Prestige has a happy ending?  I'm sorry, were we watching different films?

SPOILERS FOR THE PRESTIGE!!!!!

They both DIED!  How can that be a happy ending?

And while I'm being all spoilery...

The reason the wife thought that her husband didn't love her was that identical twins were sharing their life as one man and as one husband.  Only one of the twins loved her.  When she was with the twin who loved her she felt loved.  When she was with the twin who didn't love her he was cold to her and she felt unloved.  This back and forth confused her and made her think she was going crazy and she killed herself.  Danton had nothing to do with that.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/19/2009 4:42:08 AM

Was Ace the Bathound a bloodhound with super tracking powers?  'Cause that could be cool.

Batman - "The Joker ran into Gotham Swamp!  Quick Robin, get Ace the Bathound!  Now Ace, here's the sleve from Joker's jacket.  Take a good sniff, there you go.  Now, find the Joker, boy!"

Ace the Bathound - *sniff sniff*  "Wooof Woof!  Aoooooooo......."

Batman - "There you go boy!  Quick Robin, let's follow him.  The Joker won't escape us now!"

Then again, perhaps not...

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/19/2009 3:44:07 AM

Violator, I did not dislike the movie.  I gave it a B plus.  It would have gotten an A from me if it had been less gory.

SCI FI Channel Becomes Syfy (Article) - 3/17/2009 12:12:02 PM

Well, there is a huge market for the movies.  And I have to admit I've liked a few of them (Mansquito with the shirtless love scene!)

If the cheapo movies finance the good stuff like BSG and *sob* Farscape, we can put up with them.

As for this SyFy thing, on the marketing hand I can see their point.  They can market SyFy original films and everybody will know it's THEIR film, not a science fiction title that happens to be original.  They can put it on t-shirts and ball caps and all their advertising.

On the logical hand, it's assinine.  And I really don't want to see them dilute their brand any more than they already have.  It's one of the most popular basic cable channels with the programming they have.  I don't want them broadening their appeal so much that they lose what is appealing to us.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/17/2009 11:43:49 AM

Ok, I've got to admit it, I've never seen SAW so I guess I don't have a good basis for comparison.  Perhaps SAW is much bloodier and gorier.  Then again, there is a reason I never saw SAW.  I don't LIKE that stuff and I go out of my way to avoid it.

And women (generally) do have a lower tolerance for gore than guys do.  It's almost like Snyder was trying to alienate 50% of his potential audience, a strange move.  Relatively low budget films like SAW can aford to appeal to a neich audience and still make a profit.  Movies that cost $150 million dollars to make have to have a broad appeal.  Ticket sales that would make SAW a terrific success would be a dismal failure for Watchmen.

I've only talked to 3 other people who saw the movie.  All 3 hated it.  This does not bode well.

Flying over Watchmen (Article) - 3/17/2009 4:53:51 AM

Violator, Gauleyboy obviously does care what I think, otherwise he wouldn't be bothering to discuss the film with me.  And I'm sure Zack Snyder and the nice people who financed his film care what I and my coworkers think because it's our money that's lining their coffers and whether we go back for a second viewing and what we tell out friends will have an impact on how much money they make.

Thank you for joining our discussion and contributing in such a mature and adult manner by demonstrating such advanced spelling skills.

BTW, I'm a woman.  Kara S, get it.

Gauleyboy, I was sure that we were coming at the movie from different directions.  I think you have confirmed that.

Reason 2, (the literary aspects of Watchmen) is the reason that I (and many others) thought the book was unfilmable.  Nobody thought that they couldn't film a scene about a rescue during a prison riot or a fight in an alley.  And we all knew that FX would eventually advance to the point where giant crystal clock things flying around on Mars would be easy.  It's that other, literary stuff that doesn't translate so well.  All the flashbacks worked a lot better than I thought they would.  But some of the other stuff..?

I've always said Watchmen was a murder mystery with costumes but my coworker was expecting X-Men.  Who can blame her?  That's how the film was marketed.  But she could probably have enjoyed a murder  mystery with fight scenes if it hadn't been for all the gore.  She was expecting X-Men and she got Saw.  No wonder she thought it was "a piece of Shit".

Shadowprine, I thought the flip from Kovacs to Roscharch was better in the book.  He was faced with a man who tortured and murdered children for entertainment, who wasn't repentant and who was smug, thinking he was safe.  He would do a few years and get out of jail to do it again to some other kid.  I might have chopped him up with a meat cleaver too.

Roscharch, very calmly, chained him up, gave him a hacksaw and set the house on fire so the man he could feel the same fear and experience the same pain and foreknowleg of death.  I found that much more signifigant.

Clive Cussler to Pay Millions in Legal Fees (Article) - 3/16/2009 12:00:45 PM

I really liked Sahara the movie.  I thought it was a fun ride, very entertaining.  On the strength of my enjoyment of the movie I tried reading one of his books but found it disappointing.  I thought it was badly written and didn't finish it.

Just goes to show you, huh?

MACGYVER To Big Screen (Article) - 3/16/2009 11:53:04 AM

Didn't MacGyver have a son?  A MacGyver The Next Generation might be cute.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA