All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,861 - 2,870 of 3,095

CLOVERFIELD 2 Development Confirmed (Article) - 3/3/2009 11:46:39 AM

I think everybody is being a little hard on the characters.  Yeah, they were a bunch of self involved, shallow, yuppie 20 somethings but hey, we've all been there at some point.

I'm not really interested in learning more about them.  But the monster and  where it came from interest me.  A sequel to Clover field would have to be really different from it's parent movie or it will look really derivitave.

Steady Wasteland Before Kings (Article) - 3/3/2009 11:38:55 AM

Well, shows like CSI are about the science of forensics and they are fiction so they are ipso facto science fiction.  But the emphasis isn't really on the science or science fictional aspects, it's on the mystery which the science is used to solve.

If you include CSI you should also include NCIS and Bones and any other forensics procedural show as well.  Also, in Numb3rs, they use the science of mathematics to solve crimes.  In The Mentalist they use the science of psychology to solve crimes.  In House they use the science of medecine to solve mysteries.  I guess, in the broadest sense, all of these shows are scifi.  Sort of.

Of course, you also include Ghost Hunters which is more a reality show.  Unless you don't believe in ghosts (like me) and then it's just foolishness.

What I really want you to include is Stargate Atlantis.  No wait, you can't because it's over.  But I'm sure we can all agree that a show about an expedition to another galaxy is much more scifi than any of the shows mentioned above.

ABC Cancels MARS (Article) - 3/3/2009 11:22:55 AM

This is a real shame.  I thought this was the best new show of the season, scifi or no scifi.  The scripts and writing and acting were so good.

Everybody says the British original was better but never having seen it I have no basis for comparison.  I suspect people were just used to the British version.  Perhaps someone who saw the American version first would think it was the best.

And I noticed plenty of social commentary where Sam compared the morals of 2008 against 1973 and made value judgements based on them.

Battlestar Galactica: Someone to Watch Over Me (Article) - 3/3/2009 4:37:16 AM

Hmm, they called the destroyed planet Earth but do we know that it was, in fact OUR Earth?  Perhaps the planet that they will presumabably colonize in 4 episodes is actually our Earth.

I mean, if the destroyed planet was Earth and BSG is in our future it would mean that we are all Cylons.

CAPRICA Hitting DVD (Article) - 3/3/2009 4:11:37 AM

I'm with shadow1701.  BSG has so not been crying out for a prequel.  Especially one about a family of lawyers.  I come from a family of lawyers and trust me, it's not that exciting.

I won't buy the DVD.  I won't pirate the movie either.  When it's broadcast for free on the Scifi Channel I might watch it.  Or I might not, depends on what else is on.

Sucky Sequels (Article) - 2/28/2009 12:04:52 PM

Hmmmm, Mortal Combat 2.

Mania Review: WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/27/2009 4:10:08 AM

And TDK was a very good movie but it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Ledger deserved his Oscar but Bale brought the movie down somewhat.

Mania Review: WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/27/2009 4:07:36 AM

I'm sorry that Tales Of the Black Freighter will not be included in the movie.  It was so rich with thematic resonance for the actions and motivations of one of the major characters (won't go into details in case someone here actually hasn't read the book).  It may have slowed down the action a little but it added so much in subtext!

That being said, I can see how they might not have been able to include it in the movie.  A literary trick that worked well on the page might not do so well on film.  And the newspaper vendor and the comic book reading kid really were important characters.  I'd go into details on why but in the interest of forgoing spoilers I won't.  Unless people here want me to.

When the DVD edition with the Black Freghter footage is released I'll be right out ther to buy it so I can see it integrated into the movie where it should be.

WATCHMEN: Five Minutes to Midnight (Article) - 2/25/2009 12:04:59 PM

I'm waiting for the movie with high hopes but trepedation also.  Can it really be good?  We'll see.

Watchmen took comics seriously as literature.  It was one of the first and the graphic novel is still amazing today.  The mundanes at Time magazine say it is one of the 100 greatest novels of the 20th century.  That's got to mean something.

I think my pick as greatest comic book ever would probably be Sandman but that's just me.

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Best Friend (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:47:11 AM

Was ANYBODY fooled into thinking Chuck had been blown up for even a nanosecond?  After Casey used the remote control to steer the car it was obvious that Chuck had used it to drive away the bomb.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA