All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,861 - 2,870 of 3,073

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/29/2008 4:18:42 AM

<p>No more TV Wasteland?&nbsp; Say it ain't so!&nbsp; First no more Matt Rouch on TVGuide.com and now this!&nbsp; What will I waste time at work reading now?</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/18/2008 4:37:49 AM

<p>Um, Ghostbusters 2?&nbsp; That's a New Year's movie.</p> <p>And where's Santa Claus Conquors The Martians?</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/18/2008 4:21:39 AM

<p>You picked on two of my favorite disaster movies, Twister and Volcano.</p> <p>Tornadoes do cause a lot of damage and kill people, there are legions of storm chasers who track them and the effects were very cool.&nbsp; And the relationship between Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton was classic.&nbsp; What's your problem?</p> <p>As for Volcano, sure the lava moved slowly and in an unpopulated area such a volcano would be just a nuisance.&nbsp; But in the middle of a city it could kill lots of people and surely destroy plenty of property.&nbsp; Did you notice the two guys trying to save priceless, irreplacable art treasures from a museum?&nbsp; And again, the FX were very cool.&nbsp; I don't know how many times I've replayed that part where the tar pits start to erupt.</p>

BOX OFFICE- Fox Tops Box Office While THE EARTH STOOD STILL (Article) - 12/18/2008 3:58:50 AM

<p>Just a few thoughts...</p> <p>How sad is it when the biggest expectation of going to see a movie is that if you see it you will get to see a trailer for some other movie?</p> <p>Why is it that this summer had so many movies I wanted to see that I was at the cinema almost every weekend (usual for some of you guys but very unusual for me) while there is NO movie this holiday season that I want to see?&nbsp; Maybe I'll go see the Spirit.&nbsp; Or maybe not.&nbsp; But absolutely nothing excites me or inspires me to pay $8 for a movie ticket.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/9/2008 4:45:57 AM

<p>My brother recommended the Thomas Covenant books to me.&nbsp; He was so enthusiastic that I really wanted to like them.&nbsp; But I didn't.&nbsp; Antihero be damned.&nbsp; The title character was just unpleasant and I didn't enjoy spending time with him.&nbsp; I quit in the middle of the second book and I only got that far because my brother liked them so much I thought there HAD to be something there.&nbsp; But for me there wasn't.</p> <p>*sigh*&nbsp; I'm afraid I have to add Andre Norton to the list of bad fantasy writers.&nbsp; She wrote a few good books (The Crystal Gryphon was the best) but mostly she recycled the same material over and over.&nbsp; If you read 3 of her books (randomly selected)&nbsp;you had pretty much covered the range of what she did in the other 30.&nbsp; Books you loved in middle school never quite lose the glow of nostalgia, but even then I knew her prose was weak and that the books weren't really that good.</p> <p>Eddings is another one who seems to repeat himself a lot.&nbsp; The Belgariad and The Mallorean were good but the other&nbsp;series I've read by him seem to be retreads, with the same characters going by different names doing pretty much the same things for the same reasons.&nbsp; He stopped creating art and started pumping out product.</p> <p>I liked Jordan.&nbsp; The first book of the Wheel Of tTme felt very much like The Lord Of The Rings (a party with 4 hobbits (village kids) a wizard and a warrior going on a querst avoiding demonic enemies) but it soon branched out and became original with many unique characters, societies and situations.&nbsp; The characters grew and changed.&nbsp; And minor characters from one book would come back and play major or minor roles in later books.&nbsp; I was never bored with them, as long and complicated as they were.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- November Sweeps Wrap-Up (Article) - 12/9/2008 3:58:28 AM

<p>Well Hobbs, SGA is a scifi show with&nbsp;first run&nbsp;episodes apearing and therefore deserves to be mentioned in the listing of scifi shows above.&nbsp; Sometimes they forget to include it, even when they do include recaps of upcoming episodes of Sanctuary or Dr Who or whatever other programs are currently part of Scifi Friday.&nbsp; I assume that is because our beloved columnist, Mr Lackey, doesn't like it.</p> <p>But it's there this week so I am content.&nbsp; If they did actual&nbsp;reviews of the episodes that would please me more, but since there are only 3 new episodes to go before the series ends, I doubt they are going to start now.</p> <p>Speaking of that, doesn't it suck that they cancelled it?&nbsp; It wasn't cancelled by Scifi.&nbsp; They just decided to stop making it and do a new show, Stargate Universe instead.&nbsp; True, they are going to do some direct to DVD movies, but I would far rather see another 20 episode season that a DVD movie or two.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- November Sweeps Wrap-Up (Article) - 12/8/2008 3:56:00 AM

<p>Thanks for remembering SGA this week.&nbsp; We 'Gaters are appreciative.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- Time Shifting Changes the Way We Watch TV (Article) - 11/25/2008 4:44:52 AM

<p>I still&nbsp;don't understand why time shifting is seen as something new.&nbsp; I've been recording programs on my VCR and watching them at my leisure for 20 years.&nbsp; I suppose now they can track time shifting better with the DVRs but still, it's hardly a new phenomenon.</p> <p>Many commercials have an unending shelf life.&nbsp; Coke a Cola, Charmin bath tissue and McDonalds aren't going away.&nbsp; If I watch a movie I taped 10 years ago and see a 10 year old commercial for Lucky Charms or Irish Spring soap, I can still be influenced to pick up those products the next time I'm at the supermarket.&nbsp; And since I know all the commercials by heart, even if I see them a 4X speed I still know what's going on and can be reminded of the product.</p> <p>I think Mork And Mindy on Scifi is kind of refreshing.&nbsp; I'd far rather see it than House Of Panic or Scare Tactics&nbsp;(though Cha$e is kind of cute).</p>

TV Wasteland: Let the LOST and Heroes Comparisons Begin (Article) - 11/11/2008 4:08:03 AM

<p>I don't think the Stargate fans are anticipating the season finale.&nbsp; Rather, we are dreading the end of our show.&nbsp; I also would far rather have a 20 episode season than two direct to DVD movies, even if the movies have better FX.</p> <p>As for Heros, I am enjoying it just fine.&nbsp; I like most of the characters and I care about their fate. Not that I don't have issues with a few of the sub plots (Mohinder&nbsp; as a crazy spiderman?&nbsp; please!) but I find it consistently entertaining.&nbsp;</p> <p>A TV show doesn't have to be the peak of excellence to be enjoyable.&nbsp; Even overall&nbsp;stinkers like Black Scorpion and Flash Gordon have had their good episodes now and then.&nbsp; Sorry if that makes me too low brow to have a relevant oppinion but there it is.&nbsp; TV shouldn't be&nbsp; taken too seriously.</p>

Fox Moving TERMINATOR and DOLLHOUSE to Fridays (Article) - 11/8/2008 4:07:13 AM

<p>Ahem!&nbsp; Women watch Gossip Girl?&nbsp; Speaking as a woman, I have to say that&nbsp;I wouldn't touch Gossip Girl with a 10 foot pole.&nbsp; On Mondays I'm too busy watching Terminator and taping Chuck.&nbsp; But even if there wasn't anything else on in that time period I liked I STILL wouldn't watch Gossip Girl.</p> <p>This move to Fridays is more convienent for me, but I don't know what it will do for the show.</p>

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA