All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,861 - 2,870 of 3,070

BOX OFFICE- Fox Tops Box Office While THE EARTH STOOD STILL (Article) - 12/18/2008 3:58:50 AM

<p>Just a few thoughts...</p> <p>How sad is it when the biggest expectation of going to see a movie is that if you see it you will get to see a trailer for some other movie?</p> <p>Why is it that this summer had so many movies I wanted to see that I was at the cinema almost every weekend (usual for some of you guys but very unusual for me) while there is NO movie this holiday season that I want to see?&nbsp; Maybe I'll go see the Spirit.&nbsp; Or maybe not.&nbsp; But absolutely nothing excites me or inspires me to pay $8 for a movie ticket.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/9/2008 4:45:57 AM

<p>My brother recommended the Thomas Covenant books to me.&nbsp; He was so enthusiastic that I really wanted to like them.&nbsp; But I didn't.&nbsp; Antihero be damned.&nbsp; The title character was just unpleasant and I didn't enjoy spending time with him.&nbsp; I quit in the middle of the second book and I only got that far because my brother liked them so much I thought there HAD to be something there.&nbsp; But for me there wasn't.</p> <p>*sigh*&nbsp; I'm afraid I have to add Andre Norton to the list of bad fantasy writers.&nbsp; She wrote a few good books (The Crystal Gryphon was the best) but mostly she recycled the same material over and over.&nbsp; If you read 3 of her books (randomly selected)&nbsp;you had pretty much covered the range of what she did in the other 30.&nbsp; Books you loved in middle school never quite lose the glow of nostalgia, but even then I knew her prose was weak and that the books weren't really that good.</p> <p>Eddings is another one who seems to repeat himself a lot.&nbsp; The Belgariad and The Mallorean were good but the other&nbsp;series I've read by him seem to be retreads, with the same characters going by different names doing pretty much the same things for the same reasons.&nbsp; He stopped creating art and started pumping out product.</p> <p>I liked Jordan.&nbsp; The first book of the Wheel Of tTme felt very much like The Lord Of The Rings (a party with 4 hobbits (village kids) a wizard and a warrior going on a querst avoiding demonic enemies) but it soon branched out and became original with many unique characters, societies and situations.&nbsp; The characters grew and changed.&nbsp; And minor characters from one book would come back and play major or minor roles in later books.&nbsp; I was never bored with them, as long and complicated as they were.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- November Sweeps Wrap-Up (Article) - 12/9/2008 3:58:28 AM

<p>Well Hobbs, SGA is a scifi show with&nbsp;first run&nbsp;episodes apearing and therefore deserves to be mentioned in the listing of scifi shows above.&nbsp; Sometimes they forget to include it, even when they do include recaps of upcoming episodes of Sanctuary or Dr Who or whatever other programs are currently part of Scifi Friday.&nbsp; I assume that is because our beloved columnist, Mr Lackey, doesn't like it.</p> <p>But it's there this week so I am content.&nbsp; If they did actual&nbsp;reviews of the episodes that would please me more, but since there are only 3 new episodes to go before the series ends, I doubt they are going to start now.</p> <p>Speaking of that, doesn't it suck that they cancelled it?&nbsp; It wasn't cancelled by Scifi.&nbsp; They just decided to stop making it and do a new show, Stargate Universe instead.&nbsp; True, they are going to do some direct to DVD movies, but I would far rather see another 20 episode season that a DVD movie or two.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- November Sweeps Wrap-Up (Article) - 12/8/2008 3:56:00 AM

<p>Thanks for remembering SGA this week.&nbsp; We 'Gaters are appreciative.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TV WASTELAND- Time Shifting Changes the Way We Watch TV (Article) - 11/25/2008 4:44:52 AM

<p>I still&nbsp;don't understand why time shifting is seen as something new.&nbsp; I've been recording programs on my VCR and watching them at my leisure for 20 years.&nbsp; I suppose now they can track time shifting better with the DVRs but still, it's hardly a new phenomenon.</p> <p>Many commercials have an unending shelf life.&nbsp; Coke a Cola, Charmin bath tissue and McDonalds aren't going away.&nbsp; If I watch a movie I taped 10 years ago and see a 10 year old commercial for Lucky Charms or Irish Spring soap, I can still be influenced to pick up those products the next time I'm at the supermarket.&nbsp; And since I know all the commercials by heart, even if I see them a 4X speed I still know what's going on and can be reminded of the product.</p> <p>I think Mork And Mindy on Scifi is kind of refreshing.&nbsp; I'd far rather see it than House Of Panic or Scare Tactics&nbsp;(though Cha$e is kind of cute).</p>

TV Wasteland: Let the LOST and Heroes Comparisons Begin (Article) - 11/11/2008 4:08:03 AM

<p>I don't think the Stargate fans are anticipating the season finale.&nbsp; Rather, we are dreading the end of our show.&nbsp; I also would far rather have a 20 episode season than two direct to DVD movies, even if the movies have better FX.</p> <p>As for Heros, I am enjoying it just fine.&nbsp; I like most of the characters and I care about their fate. Not that I don't have issues with a few of the sub plots (Mohinder&nbsp; as a crazy spiderman?&nbsp; please!) but I find it consistently entertaining.&nbsp;</p> <p>A TV show doesn't have to be the peak of excellence to be enjoyable.&nbsp; Even overall&nbsp;stinkers like Black Scorpion and Flash Gordon have had their good episodes now and then.&nbsp; Sorry if that makes me too low brow to have a relevant oppinion but there it is.&nbsp; TV shouldn't be&nbsp; taken too seriously.</p>

Fox Moving TERMINATOR and DOLLHOUSE to Fridays (Article) - 11/8/2008 4:07:13 AM

<p>Ahem!&nbsp; Women watch Gossip Girl?&nbsp; Speaking as a woman, I have to say that&nbsp;I wouldn't touch Gossip Girl with a 10 foot pole.&nbsp; On Mondays I'm too busy watching Terminator and taping Chuck.&nbsp; But even if there wasn't anything else on in that time period I liked I STILL wouldn't watch Gossip Girl.</p> <p>This move to Fridays is more convienent for me, but I don't know what it will do for the show.</p>

Toy Maniac: Play Sets, Where Have You Gone? (Article) - 11/7/2008 4:12:15 AM

<p>Well, I had the Starship Enterprise playset.&nbsp; And Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Uhura to man it.</p> <p>But my favorite playset was my Barbie Camper.&nbsp; I had some african animal toys and Ken and Barbie toured the Sarengetti in my backyard looking at zebras and lions.&nbsp; Oh the adventures they had!&nbsp; Then they took that danged camper to outer space and explored several alien planets.</p> <p>It's funny.&nbsp; My Barbie family&nbsp;went spelunking and horse back riding in the mountains and back through time to see dinosaurs and all kinds of other places but never attended one prom, wedding or fancy cocktail party.&nbsp; They were too busy being adventerous for such diversions.</p>

Book Buzz: What's the Scariest Book You Ever Read? (Article) - 10/31/2008 1:01:03 PM

<p>The Mist by Stephen King gave me nightmares for 3 days.&nbsp; Still the scarriest thing I've ever read.&nbsp;</p> <p>Before that it was The Colour From Outer Space (or maybe The Colour Out Of Space)&nbsp;by H P Lovecraft.&nbsp; Boy was THAT creepy!&nbsp; Stephen King thought so too.&nbsp; He wrote a sequel to it, The Raft.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES: The Tower is Tall but the Fall is Short (Article) - 10/24/2008 5:00:02 AM

<p>The reason Terminator Mommy would take her kid to a psychitrist is that the little girl's fear of her was jeopardizing her cover.&nbsp; She has to be accepted as a human to accomplish her mission and so she HAS to act like a mother who cares about her daughter.&nbsp; How she feels about the girl, assuming she feels anything at all, is irrelevent.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>As for Daphne on Heros, who said she didn't notice Hiro's little trick with Ando?&nbsp; She didn't want Ando to be killed so she wasn't going to say anything to that villian guy if she noticed.</p>

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA