All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,871 - 2,880 of 3,095

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:42:19 AM

And count me in on that beer too.  Can we get nachos and cheese fries to go with it?

Gotta love a good debate.  Gets the juices flowing.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:40:27 AM

Gauleyboy, I guess what I was saying is, when it comes to marketing, John Q Public is much more likely to go to a movie based on a graphic novel than one based on a comic book.  I know, Comic book movies have been big receintly and anybody that saw TDK knows that it is not meant for children.  But why scare the mundanes away when we want them to spend their $10 to see the movie?

Perhaps you think that the intended audience for Watchmen wouldn't be influenced by this.  But I took my 70 year old mother to see TDK (she heard so much about Ledger's performance that she wanted to see it).  Her money is just as green as yours is and so is the money of all the other people out there who are prejudiced negatively by the term comic book.  If we want Watchmen to be a success (and it it's any good we do) let's maximize the potential audience as much as possible.  Even if it means being a little pretentious.

And yeah, after all the years of really superior comic books, Watchmen and Sandman and Hellblazer and the Dark Knight Returns and all the rest, I still wince a little at the  term comic book.  It's just the way I was brought up I guess.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/23/2009 11:53:12 AM

When I first started reading comic books my family was appalled.  We sent you to college to get hooked on COMIC BOOKS?

When my mother thought of comic books she thought of Donald Duck and other titles meant for small children and as a child I was always taught that comic books were lowbrow, disposable entertainment that nobody with intelligence would have any interest in.

Those of us who talk about Graphic Novels just want it to be understood that we are dealing with literature designed for adults and we're not going ga ga over Sesame Street or something of the quality of professional wrestling.

Additionally, Watchmen is not just a story arc.  It is a novel.  It has a beginning, a middle and an end.  It was designed as a stand alone work.  The medium it is presented in is sequential art, comic books if you will, but it is no more a comic book than a movie is Days Of Our Lives.

Sorry if that's too pompus or snobbish for you but there it is.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/23/2009 4:36:06 AM

Actually, Hooded Justice was the first costumed vigilante to make the scene.  Nite owl was the second.

Yes, she IS that big a Watchmen geek!  Waiting for bated breath for the movie.

Chuck: Versus the Third Dimension (Article) - 2/5/2009 4:09:26 AM

Not a football fan so I had no idea that you were supposed to wear 3D glasses for some of the adds.  I had understood that the glasses would be available where Pepsi products were sold but couldn't find any.

I had 3D glasses that came with the TV Guide a few years ago to watch an episode of Medium with.  I kept them for a couple of years on the theory that I would eventually need them again but eventually threw them away.  Oh well.

I thought it was a very funny episode but I wish the Buy More plots would have more to do with Chuck.  Some weeks you could be watching two different shows, the Buy More and spy plots diverge so much.

Week of February 2, 2009 (Article) - 2/3/2009 3:41:53 AM

(3-D glasses are available for free anywhere that sells SoBe Lifewater.)

And yet, I couldn't find any.  Fortunately, the episode was perfectly viewable without them.

I've never had a big problem with Heroes.  Sure, you can pick nits till you're blue in the face but I've been consistently entertained by it, even when it was gothicly convoluted.  And this persecution of the superpowered looks like a good direction, even if The X-Men has been plowing this field for years.

5 Innovative Ways Hollywood Is Screwing You Over (Article) - 1/27/2009 4:16:29 AM

A thing about the commercials.  I don't really mind the commercials if they are commercials for something being sold in the theater.  Do they sell Coke and Snickers Bars at the concession stand?  Then commercials for Coke or Snickers Bars are not out of place.  But why do I want to see a car commercial at the  theater?  Am I going car shopping on the way home?

They COULD make new and more interesting commercials that would be shown exclusively in the theater.  That would hold my interest more than seeing the same commercial that I have seen dozens of times already.

Foursome Join New STARGATE (Article) - 1/23/2009 4:16:21 AM

I don't feel that SG:A was getting tired.  I felt it was just getting better and the character were getting more real and interesting.  It started off as a mediocre show and became great.  The ratings were going UP.

Why did they cancel it?  Money.  They wanted to start a new show with cheaper actors who hadn't been getting raises for 5 years.

Why should we get invested in this new show if they are going to cancel it, just when it is in it's creative prime, and start a fourth show with new, and therefore cheaper, actors?  I feel very dubious about this new program.

TV WASTELAND- Week of January 5th, 2009 (Article) - 1/8/2009 4:17:56 AM

Hobbs, BECAUSE the last episode of Atlantis is this week.  It's a genre show that has run for 5 years and has many fans.  WHY do they constantly ignore it?  They cover other shows on Scifi.  Monday's entry is RERUNS of Lost on Scifi.  You know that when BSG gets back there will be exhaustive coverage.

I assumed it was because our former beloved columnist didn't like it and has said as much.  Even so we eventually convinced him to include it in his list of shows for the week.  What's this new guy's excuse?

I'm not asking for the moon.  I just want a mention that the series finale is on Friday.  It's momentous because Atlantis wasn't cancelled by the network for low ratings.  Ratings were up.  It was cancelled because the production company wanted to make direct to DVD movies instead. So they can charge us to see something we used to get for free (or with our subscription to cable anyway). And they wanted to do another show that was cheaper to produce instead.

This is a BAD precedent.  Do I really want to get invested in Stargate Universe if they are going to cancel it at the height of it's popularity to make direct to DVD movies and start yet another series with cheaper actors in it?  Do we want other production companies to follow this model?  You know that if it proves profitable once then others will jump on the band waggon.

So, it's not too late to worry.  It's time to get started worrying.

TV WASTELAND- Week of January 5th, 2009 (Article) - 1/6/2009 4:20:22 AM

Bryzarro, because we Gaters don't get no respect here and it's grating.  Try having them ignore the series finale of you favorite show in favor of showcasing a cartoon and see how you feel.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA