All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,871 - 2,880 of 3,161

New HALF-BLOOD Trailer (Article) - 4/17/2009 11:29:50 AM

Hermione may be simmering with jealousy, but she doesn't simper.  It's just not her style.

FLASH GORDON to be "Gritty and real" (Article) - 4/17/2009 4:29:19 AM

As for scientific integrity, it's as important in scifi as it is in contemporary fiction.  If in an otherwise mainstream detective movie the director decided that for plot reasons Niagra Falls would run backwards and water would flow up hill, nobody would accept it.  It would be roundly derided as trash.  So why do directors think that fudging scientific acuracy is ok if the movie is set on Mars?

FLASH GORDON to be "Gritty and real" (Article) - 4/17/2009 4:23:34 AM

Lazarus,  the Flash Gordon on Scifi did improve drastically.  The episodes at the end of the season, while not great, were entertaining.  The problem was that the episodes of the first half of the season  were so dismally bad that by the time the show started to improve nobody was watching anymore.

I think it's too soon after that disasterous series to do a Flash Gordon project.  Let the property rest for a few years and start fresh when Scifi's Flash Gordon series has been forgotten.

Fringe: Unleashed (Article) - 4/17/2009 3:45:15 AM

The Monster Of The Week didn't do it for me.  Probably because I thought the monster was stupid.  A combination of a gilla monster, a bat and a wasp?  Come on!

And hunting through the sewers for the monster was a particurlarly unoriginal idea.  Monsters always hide in the sewer.

The Top 20 Greatest Fantasy Writers of All-Time (Article) - 4/16/2009 11:47:23 AM

As for comic writers, can I nominate Wendy and Richard Pini?

Check the Pilots (Article) - 4/14/2009 3:40:43 AM

Well, NCIS is a very popular show so it's not that suprising that they should do a spin off.  And hey, I watch it.  But since I watch it to see those particurlar characters interact rather than to see the solution of a mystery (the same reason I watch Bones and Numb3rs come to think of it) I feel a spin off would have a limited appeal to me.

As for surgeons in South Florida, hey, that's Nip/Tuck (until they moved to LA).  And Nip/Tuck is really good.

I think it's more about the quality of the shows.  I'd rather watch a good show about Florida surgeons than a bad show about time travel.  Then again, I'd rather watch a good show about time travel than a good show about surgeons.  But with the state of TV what it is, you take what you can get.

HANNA MONTANA Enjoys Easter Win (Article) - 4/13/2009 11:40:43 AM

It's Dearkheart's choice.  If he wants to leave the site over something so trivial that says more about him than about the site.  How hard is it to ignore 1 article a week you don't like on a site with hundreds of articles on it to read?

Assuming he's really gone.  I doubt it.  I've seen scnerios like this bofore.  a website habit is hard to break.  Give him a few days.  He'll miss the rest of us and come right on back.

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/13/2009 11:22:08 AM

Wow, I started quite an arguenemt!

Not really my intention.  But the way some of the posters react you'd think that half the articles on the site are Cracked reprints.  They're not.  I've only noticed 1 article a week that they reprint.

And though the articles may be old, it's not the kind of content that ages.  A movie that was bad and a good target for satire three months ago is still bad and a good target for satire now.  And since I didn't read the article on Cracked.com it's new to me.

I really like the articles.  The sarcastic tone amuses me though I can see why it might not be for some tastes.  And there is usually some interesting discussion to be had on the subjects raised.  Maybe there's someone out there that actually liked the remake of The Stepford Wives better than the original (hard as that is to believe) and wants to put his oppinion forward.  If so, I'd love to discuss it with him.

So, let's all live and let live.  Those maniacs who don't like the Cracked articles just read something else and let those of us who like them, enjoy them in peace.

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/11/2009 12:37:49 PM

Every Sunday they post a funny article from Cracked.com and every single time someone complains that an article from Cracked.com was posted on this site.

Aren't people used to this by now?  If you don't want to read an article from Cracked.com, don't read the article?  Stop reading them and then complaining about them.

6 Movie Remakes that Missed the Point (Article) - 4/11/2009 11:59:48 AM

I remember when The Stepford Wives was remade.  After seeing the movie (it stank) I read an interview with the director (forget his name).  He said he hadn't been able to choose wether he wanted the wives to be replaced with robots or under mental control.  Since he DIDN'T THINK IT WAS IMPORTANT he left elements of both in the finished film.

Ok, HOW could it not be important?  The film doesn't make any sense at all.

Similarly, the director of the Planet Of The Apes remake (don't remember his name either) spoke about the controversial ending to his film in which the atronaut escapes from Apeworld and goes home, only to find the humans there had also been replaced by apes.  He said something like (I don't remember the exact quote) that it didn't mean anything and he just wanted to include some sureal images because it was just science fiction and it didn't matter anyway.

I quickly decided to boycott the film because if it didn't matter to the director then I saw no reason why I should waste my time and money on it.

There is a reason I don't remember these things.  I was so disgusted by both directors that I tried to block everything about them from my memory.

The moral is that a film maker who doesn't respect scifi (or any other genre in which he is working) shouldn't try to work in that genre because whatever film he makes will suck.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA