All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,921 - 2,930 of 3,152

Battlestar Galactica: Someone to Watch Over Me (Article) - 3/3/2009 4:37:16 AM

Hmm, they called the destroyed planet Earth but do we know that it was, in fact OUR Earth?  Perhaps the planet that they will presumabably colonize in 4 episodes is actually our Earth.

I mean, if the destroyed planet was Earth and BSG is in our future it would mean that we are all Cylons.

CAPRICA Hitting DVD (Article) - 3/3/2009 4:11:37 AM

I'm with shadow1701.  BSG has so not been crying out for a prequel.  Especially one about a family of lawyers.  I come from a family of lawyers and trust me, it's not that exciting.

I won't buy the DVD.  I won't pirate the movie either.  When it's broadcast for free on the Scifi Channel I might watch it.  Or I might not, depends on what else is on.

Sucky Sequels (Article) - 2/28/2009 12:04:52 PM

Hmmmm, Mortal Combat 2.

Mania Review: WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/27/2009 4:10:08 AM

And TDK was a very good movie but it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Ledger deserved his Oscar but Bale brought the movie down somewhat.

Mania Review: WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/27/2009 4:07:36 AM

I'm sorry that Tales Of the Black Freighter will not be included in the movie.  It was so rich with thematic resonance for the actions and motivations of one of the major characters (won't go into details in case someone here actually hasn't read the book).  It may have slowed down the action a little but it added so much in subtext!

That being said, I can see how they might not have been able to include it in the movie.  A literary trick that worked well on the page might not do so well on film.  And the newspaper vendor and the comic book reading kid really were important characters.  I'd go into details on why but in the interest of forgoing spoilers I won't.  Unless people here want me to.

When the DVD edition with the Black Freghter footage is released I'll be right out ther to buy it so I can see it integrated into the movie where it should be.

WATCHMEN: Five Minutes to Midnight (Article) - 2/25/2009 12:04:59 PM

I'm waiting for the movie with high hopes but trepedation also.  Can it really be good?  We'll see.

Watchmen took comics seriously as literature.  It was one of the first and the graphic novel is still amazing today.  The mundanes at Time magazine say it is one of the 100 greatest novels of the 20th century.  That's got to mean something.

I think my pick as greatest comic book ever would probably be Sandman but that's just me.

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Best Friend (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:47:11 AM

Was ANYBODY fooled into thinking Chuck had been blown up for even a nanosecond?  After Casey used the remote control to steer the car it was obvious that Chuck had used it to drive away the bomb.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:42:19 AM

And count me in on that beer too.  Can we get nachos and cheese fries to go with it?

Gotta love a good debate.  Gets the juices flowing.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/25/2009 11:40:27 AM

Gauleyboy, I guess what I was saying is, when it comes to marketing, John Q Public is much more likely to go to a movie based on a graphic novel than one based on a comic book.  I know, Comic book movies have been big receintly and anybody that saw TDK knows that it is not meant for children.  But why scare the mundanes away when we want them to spend their $10 to see the movie?

Perhaps you think that the intended audience for Watchmen wouldn't be influenced by this.  But I took my 70 year old mother to see TDK (she heard so much about Ledger's performance that she wanted to see it).  Her money is just as green as yours is and so is the money of all the other people out there who are prejudiced negatively by the term comic book.  If we want Watchmen to be a success (and it it's any good we do) let's maximize the potential audience as much as possible.  Even if it means being a little pretentious.

And yeah, after all the years of really superior comic books, Watchmen and Sandman and Hellblazer and the Dark Knight Returns and all the rest, I still wince a little at the  term comic book.  It's just the way I was brought up I guess.

Meet the WATCHMEN (Article) - 2/23/2009 11:53:12 AM

When I first started reading comic books my family was appalled.  We sent you to college to get hooked on COMIC BOOKS?

When my mother thought of comic books she thought of Donald Duck and other titles meant for small children and as a child I was always taught that comic books were lowbrow, disposable entertainment that nobody with intelligence would have any interest in.

Those of us who talk about Graphic Novels just want it to be understood that we are dealing with literature designed for adults and we're not going ga ga over Sesame Street or something of the quality of professional wrestling.

Additionally, Watchmen is not just a story arc.  It is a novel.  It has a beginning, a middle and an end.  It was designed as a stand alone work.  The medium it is presented in is sequential art, comic books if you will, but it is no more a comic book than a movie is Days Of Our Lives.

Sorry if that's too pompus or snobbish for you but there it is.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA