All karas1's Comments

Showing items 2,971 - 2,980 of 3,099

RANT: Rivet Counting (Article) - 2/12/2008 7:07:23 AM

I once watched a movie called Young Sherlock Holmes. In it, Holmes and Watson attend boarding school together and meet Professor Moriarty who was a teacher at the school. Holmes gets his first pipe and takes up the study of the violin. It was a good enough film with what were, for the time, fantastic fx. I enjoyed it very much. However, according to the first Holmes story written by Conan Doyle, Holmes and Watson didn't meet until they were adults. Im sure there were Sherlock Holmes purists who boycotted the film but I didn't let it bother me. The film was written a century after Conan Doyle died by people who had no real stock in the Holmes continuity and never pretended to have. Had Conan Doyle been around and written the film script it would have driven me crazy. There is a difference between "reimagining" a property and doing a continuation. Reimaginings are supposed to be different. Otherwise, you would just go back and rewatch the original. A continuation is supposed to be the same as the original. With new adventures for the same characters or closely related characters. Maybe it's petty, but throwing away characters, plots and situations used in previous stories in order to facilitate the present story does bother me. Movies and TV shows are obviously fantasy. But I like to be able to pretend that they are real. If a character states that he's an only child and then a long lost brother turns up (Star Trek V) it takes me out of the story. I know "I" have one brother. Previously unmentioned siblings aren't going to show up in my life. As for BSG being the greatest thing since sliced bread, I like it but it's scifi made for mundanes. It was designed to appeal to non science fiction fans. It's an allegory of the Iraq war, not really an original story in it's own right. That's a time honored tradition for Scifi of course and there is no reason it can't be good on it's own terms. As for the reimagining of various characters, it did bother me that they made Starbuck a woman. It drastically changed what I had always percieved as the core of the show, the friendship between Apollo and Starbuck AND Boomer. The three were buddies who's loyalty to eachother was the most important emotional relationship in their lives. Now, Apollo and Starbuck have all kinds of issues with eachother, sexual attractions and complications, love and hate. And neither seems to be more than casually acquainted with Boomer. And none of them are fun to be around. I miss Boxey. He had a silly name and the child actor was horrible but the added pressures of parenthood made Apollo a more interesting person. The current Apollo is a narsacistic, self involved creep and I don't like him.

Sanctuary Finally Coming to TV (Article) - 2/7/2008 6:06:19 AM

I'd forgotten how much I love Lost. It's still mysterious and thought provoking and well acted. I can't wait to see what happens next! I can't get Sanctuary on my computer so I'll be happy to see it on TV. Flash Gordon did improve. I wouldn't call it my favorite show but now it at least holds my attention.

WB Grabs a BUCKET of Cash (Article) - 1/14/2008 1:30:25 PM

Could it possibly be that one person could like a certain movie and someone else could hate it and both people could be fine human beings with good, but differing, taste? Makes the mind boggle doesn't it? For the record, I loved the LOTR films. But if somebody didn't like them that's ok with me. If we were all alike then discussions about movies would be pretty dull...

Supernatural Confirmed! (Article) - 1/14/2008 6:29:35 AM

Medium is on Monday, not Tuesday.

MEDIUM: And Then (Article) - 1/12/2008 12:11:09 PM

Of course the image was gruesome. The villian of the piece was a man who kidnapped, sexually abused and murdered a small child. Do you really want that sanatized or made pretty? I don't. There are such people out there. And there are police dectives who catch them. Meduim is on at 10 oclock. It doesn't have to be suitable for children or prime time. I like it the way it is and you can bet I'll be back next Monday to see it!

There are a Few Things to Watch (Article) - 1/7/2008 1:40:48 PM

Medium's on Mondays, isn't it?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/31/2007 1:16:14 PM

Waterworld was a terrible film. Who would film a sequel to such a bad movie? The Golden Compass was a decent film. When I was a kid I would have absolutely devoured it. As an adult I enjoyed it.

Disney Finds TREASURE At the Box Office (Article) - 12/24/2007 8:40:44 AM

Saw Charile Wilson's War last night. Good film. It's a real shame about The Golden Compass. At least it's doing good foreign box office. As for National Treasure, the first one was enjoyable enough but too far fetched for me. I can accept hidden vaults full of treasure under ancient pyramids or jungle ruins but not under Wall Street. Somebody would have found it...

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/22/2007 8:19:48 AM

Good article. We've all seen all those tricks pulled off, some worked better than others. Lots of food for thought.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/22/2007 6:08:17 AM

How could Deckard be a replicant? How could he have implanted memories? The implanted memories were a brand new experimental technique and Rachel was the only replicant to have them. And it would destroy the movie thematicaly. The replicants were acting more human than the humans were. Deckard was following orders he knew were wrong and unjust for selfish motives while the replicants were pondering philosophical quandries and looking to save their lives. The replicants were leaving a trail of death and destruction in their wake, but so was Deckard. In the end, some of Batty's "humanity" rubbed off on Deckard and he did the right thing by Rachel even though it would put him outside the law. I also like the voiceovers and the film noir feel they gave the movie. Without them it was still a good film, but was less personal, less about Deckard's personal journey and more about the replicants. And while I could live without the "happy" ending, seeing Deckard's new and brighter (and less rainy) world did give the movie a nice sense of closure. Even though people would come looking for them, they had a chance. And the music over the closing credits and the miles and miles of trees was really fine.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA