All karas1's Comments

Showing items 21 - 30 of 3,254
<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

Mania Box Office Report: Third Hobbit Threepeats (Article) - 1/6/2015 11:21:49 AM

I liked Mockingjay part 1.  The first 2 films were basically just exercises in bloodsport but the current film is real distopian scifi.

I saw Birdman and my take on it was that it was a depiction of Michael Keaton's nervous breakdown.  The ending was ambiguous.  But that was on purpose.  I enjoyed it but it is definitely not a film that will appeal to everybody.

Mania Review: Into the Woods (Article) - 1/4/2015 8:41:09 PM

I saw it and I loved it.  I am completely unfamilliar with the play so if it's different from the movie I wouldn't know it.  Chris Pine makes a delightful prince and the man can sing!  Lots of fun.

Mania Box Office Report: Third Hobbit Threepeats (Article) - 1/4/2015 8:36:01 PM

Saw Into the Woods last week (bargain Tuesday).  I enjoyed it very much.  The music was delightful, the performances were fantastic, the FX and makeup were first rate and the plot and dialogue were clever and interesting.

Coleman Continues with Doctor Who?! (Article) - 12/27/2014 7:42:57 PM

I'm not a big Clara fan.  Something about her just rubs me the wrong way.  She's so bossy, always telling other people what to do.

Clara and Danny's "love story" didn't grab me either.  I couldn't for the life of me see what they saw in eachother.  He was always ordering her around and forbidding her to associate with her friend The Doctor like she was 10 years old and she was always lying to him.  It was a toxic relationship and frankly made both of them unlikable.  It's hard to like somebody when you disaprove of the way they treat others, especially people they are supposed to love.  (That may be why I disliked Rose.  She was so mean to Mickey all the time.)

It did make their relationship interesting, kind of like a automobile accident.  You can't look away no matter how awful it is.

Maybe without Danny around Clara will be more likeable.

But only if the writing of the show improves.  There were a few good episodes last season but also a few dreadful ones and the remaining ones were just kind of there.  Middle of the road in a most uninteresting way.  The ideas the scripts were based on were mostly stupid or dull and the execution was mishandled.

Top 10 Versions of A Christmas Carol (Article) - 12/24/2014 9:19:19 AM

Michael Caine as Scrooge and Kermit the Frog as Bob Crachet.  What could be better?

11 Essential Holiday Genre Episodes (Article) - 12/24/2014 9:05:04 AM

And let me add that Warehouse 13 had some cute Christmas eps.

Star Trek 3 Lands Director (Article) - 12/22/2014 7:42:48 PM

Well, I detested the ST film that Abrams directed.  I liked Fast and Furious 6.  So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mania Box Office Report: The Final Hobbit Rules (Article) - 12/22/2014 7:39:05 PM

Perhaps it had something to do with the Nazgul wielding the 9 rings for mortal men and Gladriel, Elrond and Gandalf wielding the 3 rings made for Elvenlords but since this scene was entirely made up and didn't appear in either The Hobbit or the LotR index I'm not certain.  Either way I didn't much like the scene.  It felt like just an excuse to put those characters in the film just for the sake of them being there since Elrond, Galadriel and Suraman were never even mentioned in The Hobbit.

First Look: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY & X-MEN: THE BLACK VORTEX (Article) - 12/22/2014 5:23:22 AM

I hate crossovers that take place in 6 different titles.  If you read one or more of the titles you have the choice of either picking up books you don't ordinarily buy or missing part of the story.  Or waiting for the trade to be produced.

I suppose from a marketing standpoint it might make sense to expand sales by making readers buy extra books and maybe, having sampled the books, they would become regular readers of that title too.  But to be honest, I'm just as likely to skip buying the book I read that month if the story it contains overlaps into other titles I don't regurlarly buy.   Comics are too expensive now to spend cash on something I'm not going to enjoy.

I suppose once in a while is OK, but they seem to do it all the time now.

Mania Review: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Article) - 12/19/2014 9:15:19 PM

I went and saw the movie today and I loved it.  Yeah, it was padded but unlike in the previous films the padding was interesting and felt organic.  Some of the fight scenes could have been trimmed but what was presented kept me entertained.

There were pros and cons.

I loved Dain, the dwarf with the Scottish accent.  He had tude!  He rode a giant pig into battle.  I like the battle-ready giant mountain goats too.  I want one.

Bilbo's part was perfect.  He WAS just a small part of the action in this part of the book.

There were, however, a few offences against physics that bothered me.  Legolas is a magic elf and all but the part where he was running up falling rocks to get back up onto the bridge looked like something from a video game.

Sandworms.  Hmmmmm...

The CGI elves all looked too much alike, different hair color aside.  I liked the way they danced aside when someone rode a horse or a giant battle stag through their ranks though.

The cameos of Elrond, Galadriel and Suraman seemed like cameos.  Ooh, look how many of the stars from the previous films we can get to come back and do a scene!  Won't that be cool!  Um, no.  Not so much.

And the romance between Tauriel and Kili still seems forced.  They've known eachother for like a week and have actually spoken to eachother a handful of times yet they have this deathless Romeo and Juliet romance.  OK, they had the hots for eachother.  They're both attractive people.  But really.  Give me a break.

On balance it was a fine film, the best of the three.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA