All karas1's Comments

Showing items 21 - 30 of 3,181
<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG EXTENDED EDITION Release Details (Article) - 8/6/2014 7:19:19 AM

And it gave me the dredded forbidden 403 error for including the colon in the name of the movie.  Fortunately I had anticipated this and coppied the text of my reply before trying to post.  The same post without the colon went right through.

Mania, what's with this war on punctuation?  Inclucing anything more exotic than an exclamation point means the post doesn't go through!

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG EXTENDED EDITION Release Details (Article) - 8/6/2014 7:15:46 AM

The theatrical versions are bloated with padding.  How are they going to add an extra 25 minutes to the film?

The director's cut of the Lord of the Rings films included additional scenes of genuine worth.  The trilogy of books was so long and packed with stuff that there were scenes of importance cut from the theatrical release to bring it down to just 3 hours.  To see those scenes in an extended cut made the movies better.

But with the Hobbit movies one medium length novel was stretched into 3 long films by including EVERY scene in the book.  Very minor characters got a lot of screen time.  Characters from other books were added and got scenes.  New characters were invented and scenes written for them.  Scenes were created from material in the indexes to other books.  This is rediculous!

I like Tolkien as well as anybody and Jackson does a superb job of bringing his books to life on the silver screen.  But enough is enough.  I do not need to see an extended version of The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug.

The Geek Life: Guardians of the Galaxy, Why it Works (Article) - 8/5/2014 6:56:20 PM

Farscape premiered in 1999.  I understand that the GotG comic predates that.  I never read it so I don't know how faithful the movie is to the comic or how many of the Farscape like features of the film were in the comic.

I do know that the Farscape like features of the movie were features I liked and I was happy to see them in the film.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Starts Production (Article) - 8/4/2014 8:21:19 AM

I've read Through the Looking Glass.  The Mad Hatter wasn't in it.  So what is Depp doing in this film?  Oops.

Marvel's Phase 1 & 2 - A Look Back (Article) - 8/4/2014 8:18:45 AM

My mother had a conversation she told me about once.  She was in a doctor's office and the doctor was telling her about his last patient who was into the SCA.  This other patient had all kinds of memoriabelia about knights and jousting and even had a suit of armor in her living room!  The doctor thought that was just plain wierd.

My mom laughed and pointed out that his office was decorated in early Elvis with guitars and records and statuettes of The King all over the place.  How was that so different?  The doctor was surprised but after a little though he admitted that it wasn't very different at all.

I have zero interest in sports and think watching a football game for 4 hours might be slightly duller than watching paint dry.  But I'm happy to let sports fans enjoy their hobby.  To each his own and all.

However, I wish our society didn't value professional sports so highly.  Sports is seen as some kind of noble pursuit and must take priority over all other TV programming.  I wish it were seen as a fun recreational activity but no more important than any other activity.  And that a sports fan was on equal footing with a devotee of scrapbooking or a fan of the Grateful Dead.

When Marvel Got Diversity and Character Changes Right! (Article) - 8/4/2014 5:59:29 AM

No mention of the New Mutants?  Or do they fall under the X-Men umbrella?

New Captain America and Thor: Diversity or Cheap Gimmick? (Article) - 8/4/2014 5:58:35 AM

A number of people, including the first President Bush, seem to think you have to be religious to be patriotic.  This confuses me.  What do religion and patriotism have to do with each other?  I'd like to see an athiest Captain America.

The Geek Life: Guardians of the Galaxy, Why it Works (Article) - 8/3/2014 8:45:52 PM

I didn't say it was a ripoff.  I said it had a similar vibe.  That's not the same thing.

Mania Box Office Report: Guardians Rules the Box Office (Article) - 8/3/2014 3:50:31 PM

I loved GotG but I want to see Into The Storm next weekend.  I loved Twister and documentaries about weather.  I'm looking forward to all kinds of cool FX and I may spring for 3D to see it in all it's glory.

The Geek Life: Guardians of the Galaxy, Why it Works (Article) - 8/3/2014 10:57:59 AM

Robert, I'd love to see your Farscape interview.

I saw GotG and I totally see the Farscape comparisons.  The outlaw culture portrayed in several parts of the movie had a very Farscape vibe.  And Peter Quill seemed a whole lot like John Crichton, always spouting pop culture refrences that nobody on that side of the galaxy would understand.

It was a REALLY fun film.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA