All karas1's Comments

Showing items 21 - 30 of 3,101
<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/4/2014 5:40:05 AM

Don't you miss the edit button?

Hoffman deserves compassion.  What he did was stupid and self destructive.  But he didn't go into a mall and shoot strangers or something like that.  Some of the people here seem kind of judgemental.  It's a tragedy, not just deserts.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 6:25:45 PM

Wise, I don't think it's that simple.  Doing drugs is so obviously a bad choice that so many smart, capable people wouldn't do it if it was.  Drugs, alchohol, tobacco, gambling, all these things can ruin or end your life.  Nobody would mess with these things if it was as easy as saying "I dont think I want to do this today."

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 10:03:10 AM

To lose a loved one from any cause is hard.  I feel bad for his family and friends.

But I don't think it's as simple as some of you guys are saying.  Just Say No doesn't work because these drugs change your brain chemistry.  It's not a disease, but it's not just a failure of willpower either.

The only way to win is not to start in the first place.  But once you HAVE started it takes far more to resist.

Mania Review: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Article) - 1/17/2014 9:10:35 AM

I liked the movie with Afflek.  They nuked a football stadium!

And why shouldn't we get some good movies in January?

2014 Movie Preview (Article) - 1/5/2014 12:18:13 PM

It didn't redirect me to other sites but it kept rebooting the Mania homepage.  But I didn't stick around long, didn't want to catch a virus.  Seems OK now (knock wood).

Denzel Washington for Green Lantern? (Article) - 1/2/2014 10:45:25 AM

I'm not a big GL fan, I don't think I've ever read an issue of that book.  But I've seen the various iterations of that character in many other books and animated films.  The John Stewart version seems as good as any of them and other than Cyborg seems like the only African American DC superhero that isn't some sort of radical black stereotype (I saw Black Lightning discussing that issue with Mr Terrific once and it was FUNNY).

I'd watch Denzel Washington play the character.  I'd watch Denzel read the phone book.  Is he the best choice?  Probably not.  It would be better if a lesser known actor was cast so that the actor doesn't overshadow the role.

I'd watch Ryan Reynolds play the character again.  The mediocrity of the first GL film is entirely the fault of the script.  With a better script (one which didn't portray Hal Jordan as a neurotic, immature whiner) Reynolds could have done a good job.

DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special Sneak Peek (Article) - 12/28/2013 5:46:12 PM

Clara is dull.  I don't see her bringing anything new to the role of companion that the previous feale companions of the New Who haven't brought.

Mania Review: 47 Ronin (Article) - 12/25/2013 6:56:11 AM

I was puzzled by the commercials for this film.  I was sure I saw Keneau Reeves in the footage yet the movie wasn't advertized as starring Keneau Reeves.  Good to know I wasn't seeing things.  But if you have a star in your movie, why not tell people?

INDIANA JONES and the ARTIFACTS of HOPE (Article) - 12/20/2013 9:30:54 AM

It's less "Batman Beyond" Indy and more "Wrath of Kahn" Indy.  Remember when Kirk had to come to grips with the fact that he needed glasses and wasn't as young as he used to be?

I haven't really followed Shia's reputation and don't know if he is liked or not by the Hollywood community.  I have little patience for celebrity gossip and avoid it whenever possible.  I think he's a passable actor, not a great one.  But sometimes actors learn from experience.  Tom Cruise used to be a TERRIBLE actor.  Check out his early films.  Now he's rather good.  Brad Pitt used to be a pretty face and body, now he's a really good actor.  If they can do it, so can Shia.  I wouldn't have cast him as Indy's son in Crystal Skull but he seems to be what we are stuck with.  Or not.  I'm sure Indy's had his share of romances over the years, might be more of his kids out there.  Or he could take a protege who's not related by blood.  Whatever.

Whatever the faults of Cowboys and Aliens, Ford did really good work in it and created a compelling character.  So he still has it, whatever "it" is.  And if his Indy in the next movie has to do more dramatic acting and less swinging over chasms with his whip it's not the worst way the franchise could head.

INDIANA JONES and the ARTIFACTS of HOPE (Article) - 12/20/2013 4:36:12 AM

Wise, some relaunches and remakes have turned out equal to or better than the original but that's the exception rather than the rule.

And some characters are ripe for reintepritation by multiple actors.  But I find that most such characters come from books or plays.  Whereas Indiana Jones was a movie first and other media second.

Perhaps if Ford was dead or no longer wanted to play the role I would feel differently but he has expressed interest in doing another Indy movie.  How an ageing Indy would cope with no longer being able to do the derring do and having to rely on a sidekick (Mutt or some other character) to be the brawn to his brains would be an interesting film.  Let's let Ford make that film before recasting the part.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA