All karas1's Comments

Showing items 3,091 - 3,100 of 3,146

Kwik-E-Marts for Real? (Article) - 4/3/2007 7:35:58 AM

This show probably doesn't come inder the perview of this column, but Deadliest Catch has the season premier tonight on Discovery at 09:00 pm. It's a cool show. In anticipation of this event I went to Red Lobster on Sunday and ordered crab legs. Yum!

In Search of the Otakukin (Article) - 3/31/2007 10:47:35 AM

There are all kinds of people out there with all kinds of hobbies. There is a lunatic fringe in every community and as long as you don't shoot the president to impress an actress or something it's ok. But many people look down on OTHER people's hobbies as weird. My father was a hunter and gun enthusiast who loved to spend weekends at gun shows. I accompinied him sometimes. The people at the shows were not wild eyed terrorists, gang members or backwoods hicks as is portrayed in the media. They were mostly men of varying ages in neat, casual clothes. Not scary at all. As for these otakukin, there's always somebody who can't tell reality from fantasy. They do seem to gravitate towards fantasy/scifi things. But fantasy doesn't cause it.

"Lost: Exposé" (Article) - 3/31/2007 9:39:38 AM

Jose Chung is probably my favorite X-Files episode. I liked Expose. I thought the introduction of Nikki and Paulo, as some of the 40 extra castaways we never see, was a good attempt. I can see how the producers might believe that they need some new people to do flashbacks on. If you want to talk "filler" let me nominate the ep with Jack remembering how he got his tatoo, talk about pointless... But they never did enough with Nikki and Paulo to make us interested in the characters or care what happened to them. I saw them as an attempt at a new Rose and Bernard (and where did THEY go I'd like to know?), people on the beach who weren't part of the "in" clique. It was nice to see some old faces, Shannon, Boone, Artz and Ethan. And it was nice to see the plane crash again, that visual of the man being sucked into the jet engine gets me every time. Some of the action felt kind of forced with Nikki and Paulo finding the drug smugglers' plane and the pearl hatch before the other castaways. But overall I thought the episode was very entertaining. I liked it.

"Lost: The Man From Tallahassee" (Article) - 3/23/2007 7:04:47 AM

I suspect Ben had Locke's father brought to the island on that submarine in order to manipulate Locke. Remember, when Ben was captured by Danielle in the net he was, he claimed, on his way to collect Locke for The Others. That gave him 2 months or more to find Locke's dad and bring him to the island. The island healed Locke. Ben wants to use that in some way.

NBC Needs a Hero (Article) - 3/21/2007 6:51:57 AM

If something is successful it's guarenteed that someone is going to sue. It was Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man, with tatoos that fortold the future. Waterworld WAS that bad. It was far worse than The Postman, not that that movie was an Oscar contender either. But at least it HAD a plot. And I liked Volcano better than Dante's Peak. Just a personal prefrence. The scene of the volcano erupting out of the La Brea tar pits was spactacular. The science was rediculous, but it was a fun film.

"Stardust" Trailer Online (Article) - 3/17/2007 1:01:45 PM

I've read Stardust in the original graphic novel form (haven't read the novelization) and it is one terrific story. It's vintage Gaiman, very complex, following several characters who's stories converge at the end. I'd be flumoxed how to put together a 2 minute trailer that would adequitely convey the story to a viewer unfamilliar with it. And the woman with the chariot? She's a witch. I think 2 goats can pull the magic chariot. And that's hardly the most unbelievable thing in the story. KaraS

What the hell were they thinking? (Article) - 3/17/2007 12:42:28 PM

" really want to say that Angelina is doing a good thing, but something just doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it, but everytime I hear about her adopting for her Benneton collection, it just kind of puts me off." It smacks of publicity stunt to me. There are plenty of homeless kids in the USA who need help and a good home. Why is she trolling the 3rd world for children to adopt? As for the "intelectual property" thing, if you made your living creating art (painting portraits, writing books, recording songs, acting in movies, whatever) and people were distributing it free on the internet and therfore you weren't getting paid royalties for your efforts, you'd be upset too. And if you made your living distributing the art and free internet downloads of the art were cutting into your paycheck, that would also upset you. If people are watching episodes of Sponge Bob Square Pants on YouTube and therefore not watching them on TV and therefore not generating ratings or viewing the associated commercials that's a problem for Viacom. They are not being paid for providing the program. Why should they have to put up with that? "in the case of Star Wars spoofs, it might even cause me to put in the Empire DVD sometime later that week, just for that ol buzz." Since you already own the DVD, wether you watch it or not really doesn't matter to Viacom. They already sold you the product and got their money. Wether you watch it 4 times a day or it's gathering dust under the bed it's all the same to them.

"Battlestar Galactica: The Son Also Rises" (Article) - 3/16/2007 9:16:40 AM

Trials HAVE to be for everyone. Even when a suspect is caught red handed whith the smoking gun in his hand or in posession of stolen goods or whatever, he is entitled to a trial. The whole trial process is there to prove wether the suspect is innocent or guilty. And it HAS to be true for everyone, otherwise you have a facist state that can lock you up for any reason or no reason at all. We have a pretty convoluted justice system in the USA that is geared to protect the innocent from being convicted of crimes they did not commit at the risk of letting guilty people go, and even so, new DNA evidence and other forensic procedures are proving that our jails are full of many innocent people. If Roslin just executed Baltar or condemned him to life imprisonment without a trial then their society as a whole would have taken a tremendous hit. It would have undermined all the ideals that Roslin (and Lee Adama) stood for. People like the bomb planting maintenance worker don't understand that people like Lamkin are an important part of the process. That EVERYONE is entitled to representation and if nobody stood forward to do that, even for a client as unpopular as Baltar, then it would be impossible to run their society. Perhaps the mad bomber will come to understand this when he recieves fair representation at his own trial, but I tend to doubt it. Oh, and I like Anders. Starbuck was lucky to have a mate who was so understanding and supportive, even when she was playing around on him. I hope he doesn't disappear without her around.

"Stargate Atlantis" Contest (Article) - 3/10/2007 10:16:54 AM

Didn't Dr Who go for 25 years or so without breaks?

"Heroes: Parasite" (Article) - 3/8/2007 3:31:32 PM

"And I still don't get why it never occurred to him, or apparently HRG that shooting Peter would set off Chernoble Pete, just like it did Radioactive Ted, and HRG and seemed to assume that would happen." Blink wiped Bennett's memory. The last thing he remembered was pulling into the driveway taking his wife home from the hospital. He didn't remember Ted going critical after being shot. "The healing power seems to be a subconcious one, so Peter being knocked out shouldn't matter." It's subconcious for Claire, Peter has to concentrate on it. He was thinking about Claire and her power to heal BEFORE he hit the Taxi. However, Peter should have days or weeks to heal his head wound to prevent it leaving a scar unless A) he's unconcious or B) he chooses not to heal it.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA