All karas1's Comments

Showing items 61 - 70 of 3,144

Blu-ray Shopping Bag: All is Lost (Article) - 2/11/2014 2:26:09 PM

Don't count on Song of the South being rereleased in the USA any time soon.  I understand it's available in Europe though.

Blu-ray Shopping Bag: All is Lost (Article) - 2/11/2014 4:28:10 AM

I've gotta pick up The Jungle Book for my niece.  It was the very first movie my parents ever took me to see when I was just 2 years old.  I very vaguely remember the magic of being in a movie theater for the first time (there were velvet curtains that opened and closed like it was a stage and everybody clapped when the movie was over).

I'm sure that wasn't the last time I saw it, they used to rerelease the old Disney movies every 10 years or so, so a new generation of kids could see them, long before VCRs, DVD or streaming video.  But I only remember bits and pieces of it.  I understand that parts of it haven't  aged well, being deemed racist by today's standards.  Still, Mowgli was Disney's first non white hero.

Mania Box Office Report: LEGO MOVIE WINS BIG (Article) - 2/10/2014 3:32:54 AM

I saw Monuments Men.  Good film.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/4/2014 5:40:05 AM

Don't you miss the edit button?

Hoffman deserves compassion.  What he did was stupid and self destructive.  But he didn't go into a mall and shoot strangers or something like that.  Some of the people here seem kind of judgemental.  It's a tragedy, not just deserts.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 6:25:45 PM

Wise, I don't think it's that simple.  Doing drugs is so obviously a bad choice that so many smart, capable people wouldn't do it if it was.  Drugs, alchohol, tobacco, gambling, all these things can ruin or end your life.  Nobody would mess with these things if it was as easy as saying "I dont think I want to do this today."

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 10:03:10 AM

To lose a loved one from any cause is hard.  I feel bad for his family and friends.

But I don't think it's as simple as some of you guys are saying.  Just Say No doesn't work because these drugs change your brain chemistry.  It's not a disease, but it's not just a failure of willpower either.

The only way to win is not to start in the first place.  But once you HAVE started it takes far more to resist.

Mania Review: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Article) - 1/17/2014 9:10:35 AM

I liked the movie with Afflek.  They nuked a football stadium!

And why shouldn't we get some good movies in January?

2014 Movie Preview (Article) - 1/5/2014 12:18:13 PM

It didn't redirect me to other sites but it kept rebooting the Mania homepage.  But I didn't stick around long, didn't want to catch a virus.  Seems OK now (knock wood).

Denzel Washington for Green Lantern? (Article) - 1/2/2014 10:45:25 AM

I'm not a big GL fan, I don't think I've ever read an issue of that book.  But I've seen the various iterations of that character in many other books and animated films.  The John Stewart version seems as good as any of them and other than Cyborg seems like the only African American DC superhero that isn't some sort of radical black stereotype (I saw Black Lightning discussing that issue with Mr Terrific once and it was FUNNY).

I'd watch Denzel Washington play the character.  I'd watch Denzel read the phone book.  Is he the best choice?  Probably not.  It would be better if a lesser known actor was cast so that the actor doesn't overshadow the role.

I'd watch Ryan Reynolds play the character again.  The mediocrity of the first GL film is entirely the fault of the script.  With a better script (one which didn't portray Hal Jordan as a neurotic, immature whiner) Reynolds could have done a good job.

DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special Sneak Peek (Article) - 12/28/2013 5:46:12 PM

Clara is dull.  I don't see her bringing anything new to the role of companion that the previous feale companions of the New Who haven't brought.

KARAS1'S MANIACAL PERSONA