All mgibson17's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

First Star Trek Sequel Set Photos (Article) - 3/1/2012 6:47:42 AM

I'm with you Higgy! As a 54 year-old black man I must concur. We all don't have the same tastes in women nor should we. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. As a young boy watching Star Trek on a 15 inch black and white TV; all I could focus on was Uhura's thick legs under that miniskirt. She's considered by many to be a very beautiful woman- curves and all. Give me a thick woman (size 12-14, according to my reckoning- but it varies) any day. If my wife of 30 years lost that much weight, the prenupt kicks in; where she stands to lose tens-of-twenties-of-dollars. I grew up with the adage: Must be jelly, cause jam don't shake like that. Such an observation never ever applied to a skinny woman. Like it or not, the average dress-size of an american woman is now a size 14.

The Thing Blu-Ray Review (Article) - 2/27/2012 6:37:54 AM

"As in the Carpenter version the only sure way to destroy the creature's bodies is to burn them and thus flamethrowers become the weapon of choice."

Didn't Kate point out that there was still cellular activity "even after" the creature was torched? Didn't Blair affirm this in the original as well? Even when the flamethrower is used the creature appears to die from its injuries… but like the chameleon it waits for the most opportune time to awaken. Having an organism that's near impossible to destroy seems the perfect setup for a sequel. How could you possibly contain such a threat once you make it back to the states?

Think of the possibilities. There were enough bodies left behind in the prequel to spawn a dozen sequels. All you need do is happen upon one corpse... one severed limb and you've a whole nother movie. Seems to me even if a grenade was used on the creature there would be enough bits and pieces to still pose a threat. What if you inhaled the fallout from the grenade, couldn't that still infect you? Come spring the rescue party would certainly take the bodies back for autopsy; to ascertain how in the hell two crews from two separate camps wiped themselves out.

The only part that bothered me was when Kate escapes the thing by crawling into one of the ship's containment compartments. For some reason it couldn't reach her. What bugged me was why didn't it just detach a limb or reshape itself to crawl in there and get her?

New Writers for JETSONS (Article) - 2/8/2012 8:39:37 PM

As a child of 10 I ran through the house screaming Mighty Mightor!! And Spacccceeee Ghost!!!! For Christmas my mother bought us a genuine state of the art Kenner Easy-Show Projector to watch all of our favorite cartoons on. There was no sound for the darned thing but it still gave you bragging rights. Back then cartoons started at 8:00 am and went on til 12:00 pm. Then it was either the Wide World of Sports or The American Sportsman. We were outside before either show finished its opening credits. I would love to see Space Ghost without the teen side-kicks or, Frankenstein, Jr. and the Impossibles. Even Johnny Quest would be refreshing. Course the Venture Brothers would be cool too.

Second BATTLESHIP Trailer Sails (Article) - 12/10/2011 2:31:16 PM

Looks just like a video game. Besides, most Master Chiefs I served with had fully-grown beards and potbellies. The had red strips on their sleeves that seemed to stretch on forever (to mark their years of service). They either chewed tobacco or drank large amounts of coffee. Moreover, they chain-smoked like nobody's business.

Ritchie Tackles U.N.C.L.E. (Article) - 12/9/2011 11:38:31 AM

Right about that time, they aired Girl from U.N.C.L.E.; Peter Gun, I-spy- Secret Agent Man and The Avengers. When the show broke for commercial, the sponsors teased me with the Six-Finger toy, the Johnny Speed remote control race car and Red Ball Jets (so I could run faster and jump higher). It was nice to be a kid back then. This was back when Hollywood still had an imagination. I was about 7-8 in those days.

Official Prometheus Photos Appear (Article) - 12/1/2011 7:40:59 AM

Looks like a Cenobite to me. The infamous Dr. Channard to be exact.

Latest RED TAILS Trailer Arrives (Article) - 11/11/2011 6:15:47 AM

It's no preachier than Flags of Our Fathers, Saving Private Ryan; or any other movie with white heroes. This wasn't just a part of WWII; it's a part of history. While these brave men were fighting for their country's freedom, they were denied human rights back home. While they sacrificed everything to prove their worth, Jim Crow was alive and well back home. To know that you weren't even allowed to eat at the same lunch counter your enemy was allowed to dine at had to be humiliating. As a 53 year old black man I don't think it's preachy at all.

Real Steel Featurette Arrives (Article) - 8/24/2011 6:34:49 AM

I’m 53, so I remember the sock'em robots as well. But being poor back then my mom couldn’t afford such luxuries. Boy I envied those middle class kids in those commercials. What I really wanted was a Johnny Speed- Beatle boots and a pair of Red Ball Jets. I should have sued Santa for misrepresentation and fraud. Moreover, this movie reminds me of the Jetsons episode, "Jetson's Nite Out". When Spacely takes George to a championship robot football game.

10 Best Alien Invasion Movies Ever Made (Article) - 11/9/2010 5:13:20 AM

Well I’m 53, so you have to put The Mysterians on that list. Why the musical score alone during the climactic battle for earth’s survival (against an invading horde of horny Japanese with cool helmets) was enough to get my blood pumping. Moreover I agree… there is no definitive 10-ten list- it’s a subjective endeavor at best.

First PREDATORS Trailer Online (Article) - 3/19/2010 5:59:28 PM

I’m missing something as well..
It seems to me if you’re going to test your mettle why would you be pitted against an inferior species like humans. I’ve always thought the Aliens were the ultimate killing machine, perfectly constructed in body and in form. To quote Ash from the original Aliens movie, “Perfect organism.” Humans offer no sport what with their puny guns for they lack the physical wherewithal to make it worth their while. You get bored with a video game once you find out its too easy. You'd get bored killing rabbits for they offer up no resistance. It makes no sense how vicious these killers from earth are- they are still human- and frail. In the original, you had the best embodied in Arnold’s team. There weren’t just killers; they were highly trained battle-hardened soldiers and look how easily they fell with their big guns.
Gib