All mikimata's Comments

Satoshi Kon Passes Away (Article) - 8/28/2010 6:27:34 PM

One of the most brilliant visual talents ever - no one could surpass him for surrealistic vision. He was like the Salvador Dali of anime. Paranoia Agent is one of my absolute favorite series; I re-watch it once a year, at minimum. I've recommended it to people who aren't even anime fans, and they were duly impressed as well. Even when, in my humble opinion, his creative choices misfired, his work was never boring, or basely commercial. The Creative Cosmos has grown dimmer in his absence.

Honey & Clover: Complete Collection Part 3 (Article) - 4/2/2010 10:52:06 AM

I have to agree with Chris on this one. I wanted to like this series, and there are aspects of it that are very well done. But in the end, it is the quintessential "emo" series with a capital "E." Full of characters that agonize, mope, cry and end up doing very little. It wore me out, and left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Season Sets Survey (Blog Post) - 2/7/2010 8:12:00 PM

I'm a big boxset "whore." I love the value of getting lots of episode for a relatively low price. I even occasionally buy tv series unseen, if the price is right. But usually, I netflix or online stream a few episodes first.

Love*Com Vol. #15 (Article) - 12/29/2009 9:54:51 AM

I really do love this series a lot, but I can't help feeling it went on a bit too long. Or rather, the author wastes time doing a lot of unnecessary stuff instead of focusing on the development of Otani and Risa's relationship, which is the main reason I read this manga. But still, that's just a minor quibble; it doesn't change my affection for the series as a whole.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/10/2009 7:07:51 AM

I second this review! It does get kind of weaker and more chaotic at the end, almost like the creators just ran out of money and/or material since the manga hadn't finished. But many of the episodes - mostly in the first half - are flat-out masterpieces of shoujo romance. I was lucky enough to watch this when I was first getting interested in anime, and I remember being shocked by how this show actually moved me to tears on several occasions. It will always have a special place in my heart.

Heat Guy J Complete Collection (2009 Edition) (Article) - 11/3/2009 8:55:21 AM

I totally agree. I came into this one with low expectations, and ended up really liking it a lot. Maybe people don't like the fact that there's no big-boobed chicks or fanservice in it? It's a straight action adventure with cool characters. I hope it finds an audience this time around.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/2/2009 1:07:13 PM

Heh heh. Well said, beagle-san.

I actually just finished watching this show a few weeks ago. I heard about it, and watched out of curiosity. It is pretty much a train wreck; you don't want to watch, but you can't look away. And as for the characters being unlikable... well, it only gets worse. Even minor characters I thought I might like turn out to be total wastes of space. By the end, I pretty much just hated everybody, which, considering the ending, was a good thing!

I'd only recommend this to someone looking for something very freaky to watch, not because I liked it.

MIKIMATA'S MANIACAL PERSONA