All miko34's Comments

INDY V Has Begun (Article) - 6/20/2009 2:28:52 PM

Indy IV was a bigger disappointment to me than Phantom Menace was.  I know it's hard to live up to childhood movies, but it was like someone looked at what made the first trilogy successful, then made an outline of what to include ... plus add in computer graphics.  It was a Paint-by-numbers movie.

spoiler for the one or two people who didn't see Indy IV
1) Who thought of swinging on vines like Tarzan with a bunch of monkeys was a good idea?
2) Who thought that aliens (albeit interdimensional aliens) was a good idea?
3) Who thought a bunch of hiding tribesmen with crazy fighting skills was a good idea?
4) Who thought Indy should escape a nuclear explosion via a refrigerator was a good idea?
5) Who thought having Mac's character a double (sorta-triple) agent was a good idea?
6) They are in the Amazon and there are no Pirahna, no Caimans, no electric eels ... but who decided to go with uber-intelligent Siafu ants instead which are protrayed larger in this movie and do not exist in this area?  WTH?

I watched this movie twice.  The second time was a little less embarrassing, but I still cringe at parts.  It's something that if I saw as a kid, I might've liked it better, but something was lost and it wasn't just Ford's acting.  I like Ford, Spielberg and Lucas and I thank them for their work and what they did for the movie industry ... but they should've known better.  They are smarter than this.  I hope that the next one is treated with a bit more thought.

LAND OF THE LOST (Article) - 6/4/2009 4:52:57 PM

"...series creator Sid and Marty Krofft, who serve as producers here and clearly didn't have any compunctions about selling out for a paycheck."

Sid is nearing 80 and Marty is 72.  I doubt they thought too much of the paycheck and more just wanted to see their show make it to the big screen.  They were probably really impressed with the movie.  Look at the show from the 70s ... the graphics and makeup alone must've impressed them.

You can't really pitch this show to be a serious movie unless you're Spielberg or someone of that caliber and even then ... it'd be tough.  Both series (70s and 90s) didn't last very long on TV and the only way the money people would feel comfortable in making it would to make it a family comedy adventure.

The main problem was who they chose to write it.  Dennis McNicholas and Chris Henchy seemed like random throws at a giant dartboard of available writers.  They haven't done anything like this before.  You need the right writer just like you need the right casting.  These just weren't the right fit.

Prinze Jr. Joining 24 (Article) - 5/29/2009 12:42:08 PM

On a side note... there's some serious bug issues with Mania lately.  Why are my profile views reset?  I have like 4 after being here three years.  And when I post a comment, then view someone's profile and hit Back ... the same comment is posted again and again.  What's going on with this site?  Luckily, there's a Delete button in the comment box.  Not sure why there isn't an Edit button.

Prinze Jr. Joining 24 (Article) - 5/29/2009 12:35:47 PM

I think 24 jumped the shark with these lines in the last episode of season 7 (I may be paraphrasing):

FBI Agent Renee Walker:  "I don't know what to say."

Jack Bauer: "Then don't say anything at all."

New GI JOE International Poster (Article) - 5/28/2009 2:11:43 PM

When I went to see Trek, people were laughing at the trailer during the scene where acrobat soldiers dodged the rockets in the street. For some reason, I  actually like Stephen Sommers movies.  I'm a film graduate so I should hate them, but since he doesn't take them seriously, I don't either and I enjoy them a lot more.

That being said, he didn't write the screenplay on this one.  He helped with the original story, but one of the screenwriters Stuart Beattie wrote Collateral and helped write Pirates of the Caribbean ... so this might be better than Sommers' other films.  When Sommers has a good screenplay, he does a great job.  He directed the live action Jungle Book which was pretty good.

I still think the majority of critcs will hate it, but if we go in thinking it's just a popcorn action flick, I think it'll be a fun experience.

Enjoy the Nostalgia Before Will Ferrell Craps on it (Article) - 5/25/2009 3:16:23 AM

"Land of the Lost" the movie will be about the same quality as "Lost in Space" the movie.
Neither will ruin (or has ruined) the original series.
A bad movie can't ruin a bad series.  I liked both TV series, but they both were still bad.

Reaper may return to Sundays next season ... here's to hoping the execs are smart by keeping it.
Of course, going against Fox animation domination will kill it anyway.

And don't forget that "Pushing Daisies" returns to ABC for the final three episodes starting at the best time slot ever ... Saturday night at ten pm.  This is why DVRs were invented.  Another bad TV exec decision to cancel a good show.  The TV exec should be cancelled.

Medium belongs on CBS anyway.  It just has that style.

Oh, I also already saw that Ogre movie ... wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but not that great either.  Worth a watch while getting your drink on before going out on a Saturday night.  Though if you're home watching that on SciFi, you're probably staying in that night anyway.

ABC Previews V (Article) - 5/21/2009 1:28:53 PM

@ jb, yeah ... the season ender actually left us ... Lost.

As far as V goes ... it looks good, but we'll see, I guess.
I'm just glad it's not another "reality" show, so I'll tune in.
I guess it would be frightening if V was a reality show.

Rodriguez Reboots PREDATOR (Article) - 4/23/2009 4:05:24 PM

I always thought that Tim Burton's Batman couldn't be made much better ... but it was.
Whatever happens... the original is still there.  Remakes don't ruin the originals.
The color Psycho remake didn't ruin the B&W original for me ... it was just a pointless remake.

Haley is FREDDY! (Article) - 4/3/2009 5:34:16 PM

I loved him in "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" ... but seriously, if anyone could take over Robert Englund's role, Haley could.  Perhaps, Englund will get a cameo as a father or a priest or something?

They will be difficult shoes ... er ... hat, sweater, glove ... to fill.  It's like taking over the role of The Joker ... but, of course, that has been done equally well by more than a few actors (including the animated), so we'll see, I guess.  Best of luck to him.  I just hope the story is done well...

Shows On the Cancellation Bubble (Article) - 3/23/2009 11:25:01 AM

Reaper should definitely stay.  It it a highly underrated show.
The only flaw I see in it was that too much happened with the plot in Season One (yes, that can sometimes be a bad thing).  They could've revealed who Sam really is at the end of the season or left it at a cliffhanger, stretching the plot out.  If the creators have a plan for many seasons to come, then okay ... I just hope they don't run out of ideas too soon.

Also ... BRING BACK "PUSHING DAISIES."  It was cancelled way too soon.  If there is any network out there reading this ... buy the rights and hire the writers from ABC or whoever owns the rights.  I'm sure it will be easy as pie to do ... and by easy... i mean close to impossible, but this is a show that deserves a second chance.

Cancel all the crap that makes us dumber by watching it.  i.e. Deal or No Deal, any model show, any celebrity reality show ... in fact ... most reality shows.  I know they won't cause it's cheap and too many people watch them.  Why do they watch them?  'cause they don't have to think.

MIKO34'S MANIACAL PERSONA