New GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Writer Hired - Mania.com



New GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Writer Hired

11 Comments | Add

 

Rate & Share:

 

Related Links:

 

Info:

  • Series:

New GHOSTBUSTERS 3 Writer Hired

Doomed or a New Life?

By Robert T. Trate     July 10, 2012
Source: Collider.com

At this point, if Dan Aykroyd has anything to say about Ghostbusters III, I tend to take it with a grain of salt.  Last week, Aykroyd said that the movie had replaced Bad Teacher scribes, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, with “a new writing staff.” Here’s the grain of truth: Ghostbusters III does have a new writer, but not a staff.  According to Variety, Sony has brought in Men in Black 3 screenwriter Etan Cohen to rewrite the script. 

Cohen received sole writing credit on MIB 3, which has grossed more than $600 million worldwide, even though his script wasn’t completely finished when filming began, and it was passed off to other writers (namely Jeff Nathanson and then David Koepp) during production.

With a project the size of Ghostbusters III, I don’t expect Cohen to be the last writer who gets his hands on the script.  In addition to this new gig, he’s also attached to make his directing debut on Boy Scouts vs. Zombies.  Hit the jump for more on Ghostbusters III

Variety doesn’t say if this will be a page-one re-write, and there’s still the question of the sequel’s biggest sticking point: Bill Murray.  Aykroyd said that they’re moving forward without Murray, but that may not be palatable to the studio or to the fans.  According to Variety, it still looks like the plot will revolve around the original Ghostbusters (Aykroyd, Murray, Ivan Reitman, and Ernie Hudson) passing the torch to a new generation.

I don’t know if attaching Cohen will bring the one to start pulling Ghostbusters III out of development hell, but Sony’s hiring of a new writer at least shows that the studio is still committed to reviving the lucrative franchise.

Thanks to Chopsaki for the submission.

COMMENTS AND RESPONSES

Showing items 1 - 10 of 11
1 2 >  >>  
Hookedonavengers2012 7/11/2012 1:35:42 AM

 if they cant call on cohen then who they gonna call?

giggles....

 

Betenoire 7/11/2012 2:30:21 AM

At this point all the cash blown on writting this thing will make the film cost a fortune if anyone is crazy enough to try to go through with a film whose stars could become actual ghosts before the film even can get a provisional go ahead. It has been almost 30 years, maybe it is time for people to just move on. 

Crodfits 7/11/2012 3:29:00 AM

i don't know if i care to see a third one without all of the original cast, and the fact that rick moranis won't be returning at all kinda kills this one for me. the first two movies are such classics, seeing them ruin this third one would just be sad. And if some how they did manage to talk eveyrone into returning , if they didnt bring the same enthusiasm to the screen it would deff show.

DarthoftheDead 7/11/2012 3:53:01 AM

 Yawn

DarthoftheDead 7/11/2012 6:06:28 AM

 @H.O.A. - Scriptbusters?

trollman 7/11/2012 6:20:08 AM

No Murray,,, No Movie.

HudsonTaco 7/11/2012 7:42:43 AM

 Won't ever happen. 

Ivan Reitman was the director, I think you meant Harold Ramis.

aegrant 7/11/2012 9:46:19 AM

 I really don't give a rat's ass about this.

redvector 7/11/2012 9:59:39 AM

The only way I see this happening is if the studio gives up on a Ghostbusters 3 and goes for a complete remake from scratch. After all it's been thirty fricken years, movies have been remade in shorter time frames.

VTGamehendge 7/11/2012 10:14:37 AM

I don't care anymore!

1 2 >  >>  

ADD A COMMENT

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Please click here to login.

POPULAR TOPICS