All paradigm's Comments

1 2 3 >  >>

JOE Sequel Takes Trek Spot (Article) - 7/28/2011 9:30:46 AM

Grrr. I don't even want a new G.I. Joe movie. The first one was seriously underwhelming. I do like the casting of Dwayne Johnson and Adrianne Palicki... But even so, I think number 2 will be a DVD rental for me at best.

10 Best Star Trek Moments (Article) - 7/27/2011 3:47:59 PM

I agree with all the picks except 8 and 9. Number 8 seems pretty trivial to me; and while number 9 is a cool moment, I don't think it belongs in this top 10 list.

Anyway, I'm very happy about the inclusion of number 6, which is from my all-time favorite Star Trek episode. It was a beautifully done episode that showcased every bit as well as Far Beyond the Stars just how far Avery Brooks had come as an actor. He went from a thoroughly uninteresting actor who almost constantly had a positively sleepy expression on his face in the first season to a force to be reckoned with by the sixth season. And obviously, In the Pale Moonlight was also quite an achievement in writing that helped to set DS9 apart from every other Trek series.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Voyager, I would have loved to see the final moments of Course: Oblivion included in this list. A haunting ending to a powerful episode.

New Doctor Who Trailer Arrives (Article) - 7/26/2011 10:58:12 AM

There was one shot in there of a middle-aged Amy. I wonder how that's going to factor into all this.

What I'm most looking forward to is all the weird but touching moments between Melody (I won't say her other name for spoiler reasons) and her parents that we're sure to get in the second half of this season.

I have to say, I really like the direction Moffat has taken Doctor Who. I never watched it a great deal before season five... But from what I can tell, it's gone from being a series with a bunch of self-contained episodes to a series with huge, sweeping story arcs. And I like the latter better.

Disney Hires Gargoyle Writers (Article) - 7/20/2011 11:30:33 AM

FrozenFear: Yep, the Star Trek casting on the animated series was pretty awesome. You had Jonathan Frakes as David Xanatos, Marina Sirtis as Demona, Brent Spiner as Puck, Michael Dorn as Coldstone, Kate Mulgrew as Anastasia Renard and Titania, and Nichelle Nichols as Diane Maza. On top of that, LeVar Burton, Avery Brooks, and Colm Meaney had guest starring roles.

Disney Hires Gargoyle Writers (Article) - 7/20/2011 11:14:49 AM

BOOOOO, HISSSSSS... Way to get my hopes sky-high before crushing them into a pulp, Mr. Sarafin. Thanks for that. :P

I'm not the least bit interested in this if it isn't connected to the Gargoyles animated series. They passed on a shining opportunity to turn a classic cartoon into a great film a la Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What a shame. Disney doesn't seem to care much at all about the Gargoyles animated series. If they did, they would have released the second half of season two on DVD so that my collection wouldn't be eternally missing a very important piece. Way to commit, guys.

The only way they'll be able to get me even a little bit interested in this film is if they cast Keith David in the lead gargoyle role. Even though it still would have nothing to do with the animated series, at least it would have a piece of the animated series grafted on. Let's hope they at least have that much sense.

Dark Knight Rises Teaser Trailer (Article) - 7/19/2011 8:45:48 AM

It looks pretty good for a teaser trailer debuting about a year before the film's release. I was really hoping we'd get a quick shot of Catwoman, but I guess they want us to wait a while longer for that big reveal. Anyway, it looks like they're on the right track with this when it comes to story. I'm looking forward to it.

Latest Deathly Hallows 2 Clip Online (Article) - 7/2/2011 5:47:41 PM

There seems to be an issue with the lighting that's on them, as though they're too brightly lit for the chamber they're supposed to be in. I don't think they fit in properly with that background, especially when he hands her the fang at 0:43. It's like they're standing in front of a painting of a dark chamber.

Cameron on Avatar Sequels (Article) - 6/22/2011 7:42:34 AM

James Cameron may not consider it a trilogy, but I can almost guarantee that it's going to be billed as one, especially when the third film hits DVD and Blu-ray (well, if DVD is even still around by the time the third film hits store shelves in 2016). I can see it now: "Bring the epic saga home. Own the trilogy today!"

Green Lantern Wins Soft Opening (Article) - 6/21/2011 8:13:50 AM

I agree, Darkknight2280. As cool as the after-credits scene was, the rest of the movie had shown no reason for him to do that. And simple curiosity wouldn't explain his willingness to take such a huge risk. He's much smarter than that. If they do make a Green Lantern 2, I hope his motivations are properly explained.

Green Lantern Wins Soft Opening (Article) - 6/20/2011 9:54:20 AM

Channeling willpower into a ring works great in a fantasy context, but it's a little absurd in a sci-fi context. I generally consider superhero movies sci-fi movies.

But actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's not so absurd after all. You could place it properly into a sci-fi context if you're talking about the untapped potential of a sentient mind. In that case, you could say that the Guardians have harnessed one aspect of the power of the mind - the power of will - and channeled it into the rings. Same with fear and the fear ring. In that sense, different aspects of the power of sentient thought could be harnessed (as I think they already have been in the Green Lantern comics). Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the Black Lanterns. I think I need a little help with that one. The White Lantern thing I can understand (the mysterious spark of life), but how does death translate into power?

PARADIGM'S MANIACAL PERSONA