It was neck and neck between CATS & DOGS and SCARY MOVIE, but in the end, the CG/animatronic animal comedy looks to have won out the 4th of July holiday weekend with an estimated take of $35.7M. The SCARY sequel still came close, taking in $34.5M, which while being good, wasn't as great an opening as the franchise's first film a year ago, which had an opening weekend of $42.3M.
Meanwhile, A.I. got bumped into the third slot with an additional $14.4M, followed by the Jet Li starring newcomer, KISS OF THE DRAGON, which took in $13.64.
Of particular interest is what isn't in the list any more. Disney's PEARL HARBOR finally got bumped off the list this last weekend.
Here are the weekend's top ten numbers:
1. CATS & DOGS, $35.7M this weekend, $35.7M since opening
2. SCARY MOVIE 2, $34.5M this weekend, $34.5M since opening
3. A.I., ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, $14.4M this weekend, $59.7M since opening
4. KISS OF THE DRAGON, $13.64M this weekend, $13.64M since opening
5. THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS, $12.35M this weekend, $101.5M since opening
6. DR. DOLITTLE 2, $10.1M this weekend, $71.5M since opening
7. LARA CROFT, TOMB RAIDER, $6.8M this weekend, $115.6M since opening
8. SHREK, $6.01M this weekend, $240.6M since opening
9. ATLANTIS, $5M this weekend, $69.4M since opening
10. BABY BOY, $4.8M this weekend, $20.8M since opening