All redhairs99's Comments

Showing items 2,111 - 2,120 of 2,714

DVD Shopping Bag: The Seventh Seal (Article) - 7/1/2009 4:42:27 AM

Cool, I didn't realize Park Lewis Can't Lose came out this week.  Always liked Corin Nemec (from my hometown).  I wished he would've returned for more SG-1 than he did.

Criterion DVDs are really the best, though I will agree that some of their more recent choices (Benjamin Button and most of the Wes Anderson pics included) have been odd.  The Seventh Seal is a classic, pure and simple.  If you're a fan of film at all, it's a must see.  Don't remember the reference in Last Action Hero, though I've tried very hard to block all memory of that film.  I was waiting for Robert to bring up Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey with the obivous Seventh Seal references with Bill and Ted playing Death in all manner of board game in (ultimately) a best of 7 competition.

Other films to check out on Criterion:  If..., Videodrome, Night and Fog, Time Bandits, Last Temptation of Christ, 8 1/2, Hoop Dreams, Der junge Törless, Wild Strawberries and Ugetsu.  There are many others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

PUBLIC ENEMIES Review (Article) - 7/1/2009 4:23:38 AM

I tend to agree with Spider about Hollywood always protraying these guys as heroes. I have been looking forward to this film, but the bottomline is that these "gangsters" like Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, even going bad to the old west and Billy the Kid were not heroic, dashing or an any way romantic. Not to say this will be a bad film, but I think it would be an interesting turn to see Hollywood do a "real" take on the lives of these historical characters.

As I said, I have been looking forward to seeing this. Let's just hope that it is better than that steaming pile of feces that Mann gave us 3 years ago with Miami Vice.

NINJA TURTLES to be Real, Says Producer (Article) - 7/1/2009 4:02:24 AM

Ray Park has to be in this somewhere.  Whether it's as one of the turtles, Shedder (if you don't see his face) or Splinter, but preferably as one of the turtles.

Merlin: The Poisoned Chalice Review (Article) - 6/30/2009 2:12:04 PM

Think Smallville, but with Arthur and Merlin.

Merlin: The Poisoned Chalice Review (Article) - 6/30/2009 2:11:21 PM

So far, it's not a terrible series?  Is that a compliment?

Seriously though, if you can think of this a merely a fantasy tale of magic and wizardry, it's not too bad.  The main thing is to pretend it's not really King Arthur and Merlin from the tales we know.  It's more an Elseworlds type story.

I think the series would be better served to change its name and the names of all the characters.  That's what is really holding the show bad.  That and the fact the show is called "Merlin" caused there to be NO FEAR or suspense as to whether or not Arthur would return and Merlin would live.

TRANSFORMERS 2 Going for $200 Mil (Article) - 6/30/2009 12:01:48 PM

To borrow from Karas comment about being "popular doesn't make it good," I'll add just because a film makes $201 in five days doesn't mean it's good or that people enjoyed it.  It simply means that people in general were starved for entertainment and a whole heep of people went to see one movie.  That being in this case Transformers.  Did some people go more than once?  Of course some did and that's their own choice.  After this weekend and in the coming weeks, we'll se if Transformers remains "popular."

Not Only of Sight and Sound, But of Mind (Article) - 6/29/2009 5:08:42 PM

Ah, yes, I do remember it now. I didn't think it was that bad. What's worse is Lucas putting Hayden Christensen as a Jedi Blue ghost at the end of the special EDition! So everyone else who becomes a blue ghost remains the way they appeared when they died, but Anakin gets to be young again?

Of course, I am one of those "weird" Star Wars fans who (and I know I'll take a lot of crap for this but here goes) thinks that the first Star Wars is the best followed by Jedi and then Empire. I know, I know, but I enjoyed Jedi when it came out. I was like 3 and it was the only Star Wars film I got to see in the theaters during it's original run. I'm not saying that Empire is bad, but I just liked the other two slightly, slightly more. I've always been a fan of "originals" or origin type stories, so the storytelling aspect of the first film and the set-up for what's to come it why I like it better. With Jedi, it was the Rocky effect. The underdog story. Of course, the Ewoks could help bring down the Empire. The had home field advantage. Plus, all they really had to do was get Han into the bunder to turn off the deflector shield. It's not like they took down the Deathstar, that was Lando. Plus you had Leia in that hot-ass metal bikini for the first third of the film! Empire did have the BEST plot twist (the plot twist to end all plot twists in fact) and I still really, really like that film, just liked the other two slightly better as I said before.

Now if you want me to order the Special EDition versions of the films, then yes Jedi is now dead last of the original three films. It's Jedi almost entirely because of that damn Muppet/Jedi rap song. I, to this day, hit the skip chapter button on the remote if I happen to be watching the Special EDition of Jedi, which is rare of course since I have the Limited Edition DVD without all the newly remaster crap effects.

AMERICAN WEREWOLF Remake Howls (Article) - 6/29/2009 4:51:59 PM

Hobbs, in my opinion, he's the best.  You may have a difference favorite, but we all are entitled to that.  I'm not familiar with the name Rob Bottin, but after looking at his credits on IMDB, I SHOULD have known his name (and a little embarassed that I didn't remember who he is).  He's certainly done some of my favorite projects and from those films he definitely warrants being on the list of top special make-up and creature effects artists.  Still, I think I'd have to put Rick and Stan Winston above Rob.

Hanso, after seeing the crapfest motion picture event of the summer this weekend, I'm rather scared that you may indeed be correct that they're adding wolfhumping and hairy wolfman balls to the movie.  They might even make the Wolfman drive around in a giant, tricked out convertible with hydralics and an expensive, bumpin' sound system so Benicio can drive around looking for all his hoes.  He might even have to bust sum caps in the faces of his victims instead of biting them.  Benicio is hispanic afterall and we wouldn't want to have the Latin community feel left out of the film, so we'll make fun and stereotype their race like Hollywood does to all races in their big summer tentpoles.

Not Only of Sight and Sound, But of Mind (Article) - 6/29/2009 1:03:38 PM

Every Burgess Meriedith episode of TZ is freaking awesome!  Especially the one where he's the devil newspaper printer and "makes" the news happen himself.  Just classic!

Rob, I gotta disagree man.  Phantom Menace is the absolute worst installment of the six films.  What is this Ewok song of which you speak of in Jedi?  I remember the "Special EDition" of Jedi having a crappy Jedi Rap song in the middle of Jabba's Palace, but I guess I've blocked the Ewok song from my memory.

AMERICAN WEREWOLF Remake Howls (Article) - 6/29/2009 12:13:00 PM

Yeah, does anyone know the status of The Wolfman remake with Benico Del Toro and the greatest make-up effects artist in history, Mr. Rick Baker?

And, screw the fake vampire wanna be stories like Twilight.  Stephen King said it best  when he was quoted as saying, "Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

REDHAIRS99'S MANIACAL PERSONA