All samson's Comments

New Captain America and Thor: Diversity or Cheap Gimmick? (Article) - 7/29/2014 11:54:32 AM

Tjanson, i see where you're coming from. But, I think you're getting lost in the particulars and not seeing the bigger point. The signifance of someone other than the blond haired, blue eyed, white male being the symbol of American heroism totally outweighs the gimmicky aspect of it. Anyone can be a good and loyal American. So, anyone could be Captain America. That's what this move says and it adds a much needed bit of anything can happen to the mix. At some point the character will be a woman for a time. And as long as it's well written and drawn, it'll make for a great read. Then, in true comics fashion, things will go back to the status quo and Steve Rogers will be Cap again.

Lets not forget comics creators have tried to create great black characters. Icon and Static comes to mind. They were as good as any of the other super hero books of their time. They were highly promoted at the company level although some comics shops had no idea what to do with them. But, they never really caught on. That's the readership's fault. It's like, outside of the big names, there is no more room for new characters. Sure, there are flash in the pans. But Batman, Supes, Cap, Spidey and a few others are the top of the heap and they're all white men and one wonderous woman. The population is changing and if these characters don't begin to morph in that direction, they will fade into history.

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/25/2014 11:40:45 AM

Eldogg42, white guilt? If Sam where white, would it still be White guilt or being PC?

Like it or not, the face of comic readers are changing. People want to see characters that look like them. At this point, it's a stunt not unlike all the other stunts where the main character is replaced by someone else. But, at some point, the races of some of these characters will change permenantly. And, it won't be because it's PC. It will be because it's good business.

New Captain America and Thor: Diversity or Cheap Gimmick? (Article) - 7/25/2014 11:18:06 AM

karas1 and madmaniac, have basically nailed it. And, if I may add, I don't see why I should be offended because they chose to make Cap black. Tjanson, where you offended when Bucky took over as Cap? Or when Dick took over as Batman? Sam has been by Cap's side for years. It's a natural progression of the character. Is it a stunt? Of course it is. But, no more so than every other time someone takes over for Steve when he can no longer be Captain America. As a matter of fact, it's less of one because of the Falcon's decades long history with Cap.

If I were to be offended by a black hero, it would be Luke Cage. I hated him. He was an ignorant ghetto characture of what whites thought a black hero should be. Growing up, none of the few black friends I had, liked him.

Black Panther was cool. But, he was African. Not African American. There's a huge difference. Look at it like this. You probably liked Captain Britan. He's a cool character. But, you related to Captain America. He reflected you and your culture. Just because the two where the same skin color didn't make your relationship to the characters interchangeable.

NEW BATMAN PHOTO - Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Article) - 7/25/2014 10:45:31 AM

Afflek will be great in the role. He's a good actor and, of all the actors who've played Batman, he's the only one who physically looks menacing. The guy looks like he could actually be Batman. We've never had that. All the other actors had to hide behind the costume. And let's be honest, had you ran into any of them dressed as Batman you wouldn't find them the least bit intimidating. But, Ben? With his size, you'd hope he's just some guy playing dress up and not intending to do you any bodily harm. That factor alone will translate spectacularly on film.

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/20/2014 3:52:47 PM

Tjanson, what makes it PC?

Captain Cold Cast for The Flash (Article) - 7/20/2014 1:45:18 AM

Scofield!

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/19/2014 12:45:15 AM

Look guys, before we go any farther with this discussion I want you to know I don't think you guys are racists nor am I calling any of you racists. Race is a touchy subject and it's easy to get bogged down by labels. That's not what I want to happen. I just hope you'll at least consider what I've said objectively and maybe try and see things from another perspective.

Whatever differences we have there is one thing we all share. That's our love of these characters.

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/18/2014 8:57:41 PM

Elbaz, you said they were catering to the PC crowd. What makes Wilson being Captain America PC? His ethnicity. So it is in fact a race card issue. You can't say you don't have a problem with him being Cap but turn right around and declare Marvel is being PC because they chose a black character to be Captain America. What's it going to be pig or pork?

Billthebutcher, I'd have no problem with a white Falcon. Nothing about his character is dependent on his race. Same as Cap. I agree with you about the costume. They can do much, much better.

However, I don't think it's very PC. It's 2014. If they really wanted to be PC, they had made Captain America Mexican - American. ...lol

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/18/2014 12:00:28 PM

moviefan71,

that will be a great day indeed. And, I really think we'll get there. It will just take time.

Eldogg42,

I'm not trying to attack anyone. I'm just a little dismayed at some of the comments here. And, I see your point about doing it all at once. But, I don't think it's about being PC. I think it's about PR. Doing all this at once gets fans and non fans alike talking. Marvel couldn't buy this level of media coverage. Plus, they need to hook new readers. The population is changing. Just as the image of Jesus changed from a middle eastern man to a white man to match the population of the source material's readership.

MARVEL ANNOUNCES THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA (Article) - 7/18/2014 11:00:02 AM

Billlthebutcher and Elbaz,

so you're saying that big name character's who are white males can change identities as long as they continue to be white males? Example - Cap's white side kick, Bucky Barns can be Captain America. But Cap's black side kick, Sam Wilson shouldn't be because if he is it's catering to the PC crowd. Am I stating that correctly?

SAMSON'S MANIACAL PERSONA