All snallygaster's Comments

Showing items 21 - 30 of 1,127
<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

5 Upcoming Comic Book Movies That Must Be Stopped (Article) - 12/6/2008 10:56:30 AM

<p>I realize that this is article is a humor piece, but no comic-based superhero movie would ever get off the ground if we only dwell on the elements that will appear absurd on screen. Recent comic book adaptations clearly show that film makers realize that the movie versions of comic books need some &quot;grounding&quot;&nbsp;in the real world (The&nbsp;change in the X-Men costume design, for instance).</p> <p>Submariner - I highly suspect that the film version will do away with the little ankle-wings, and I'm pretty sure the costume will morph from the thong to a full-bodysuit of some sort.&nbsp;And it's true that Submariner (like Aquaman) always looks like a third wheel trying to find something useful to do when working in conjunction with other superheroes, but since this movie will (presumably)&nbsp;not involve other superheroes, I'm sure it can work just fine with a plot taylored for the character.</p> <p>Captain Marvel&nbsp;- Sure he's a knockoff of Superman, but that could work to the movie's advantage. People aren't as familiar with Capt. Marvel, so expectations will be different. The writers could actually make the character <em>fun </em>instead of having him be hamstrung with Supe's famous &quot;Big Blue Boy Scout&quot; persona. Remember how much fun Tom Hanks had in &quot;Big&quot; when he went from being a kid to a grown up? Add in superpowers and let the fun begin!</p> <p>Luke Cage - I'm not very familiar with this character, but seems to me that this character could be updated for the times quite easily. And the costume could be dispensed with altogether.</p> <p>Thor - I think this one is the riskiest of all. If McKidd gets the role, it seems like they may be doing some severe &quot;grounding&quot; compared to the comic incarnation. Looking forward to this with some degree of trepidation.</p> <p>Green Lantern - Ok, the big problem here seems to be the choice of writer/director. Sure, Berlanti got his start on teen dramas. But what's not being said is that he has since moved on to adult character-driven dramas like Eli Stone, Brothers &amp;&nbsp;Sisters, and DIrty Sexy Money. And one of the co-writers is a frequent collaborator of Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, who has a good bit of experience writing comics for both DC and Marvel. He's also working with Michael Green, who has a long history as a second unit director of major effects/action movies, and Aaron Sims, who has an impressive record doing production design for dozens of sci-fi/fantasy movies. I'd like to see what Berlanti and his team come up with. There's only so many top directors for the genre, and most of them are booked up (del Toro alone has&nbsp;his schedule filled 'til about 2050), so some of these projects have to get doled out to less experienced people. Hopefully we'll see some new talent emerge.</p>

5 Upcoming Comic Book Movies That Must Be Stopped (Article) - 12/6/2008 6:44:54 AM

<p>Fact-check time...</p> <p><em>The editors at DC needed another success like Superman, and decided to ape Captain Marvel nearly exactly.</em></p> <p>DC didn't create Captain Marvel at all. Captain Marvel was originally created by Fawcett.</p> <p>In 1941, DC's forerunner company sued Fawcett over copyright infringement, claiming that Captain Marvel was a ripoff of their Superman character. The suit and the appeals ran on for over a decade, and at one point DC came precariously close to losing their own copyright on Superman over a technicality.</p> <p>Fawcett's Captain Marvel comics actually outsold Superman during the WWII years, but as sales declined in the early 1950s, they decided to settle the lawsuit with DC out of court. As a result, Fawcett was prohibited from publishing Captain Marvel or any related character ever again, and the original Captain Marvel comics ceased publication in 1954.</p> <p>With the revival of the superhero comic during the 1960s, Fawcett decided to revive Captain Marvel and looked for a loophole. Fawcett approached DC with the offer to license the character to them for publication. DC first started publishing Captain Marvel under the Shazam! title in the 1970s and integrated them into the DC Universe. In 1991, DC outright purchased the rights to the characters from Fawcett.</p> <p>So in a nutshell, that's how DC ended up in the ironic position of owning a character which was an obvious ripoff of one of their own. <br /> &nbsp;</p />

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/5/2008 11:03:20 PM

<p>Oh my.</p> <p>I&nbsp;had heard that he was gravely ill, so I was expecting this news...</p> <p>His influence, especially through Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, cannot be understimated. Lucas, Spielberg, Burton, Darabont, Landis, Rick Baker... they were all influenced by Forry's publication. And he had a direct participation in the careers of Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen, and Marion Zimmer Bradley among others.</p> <p>For the generations who grew up with SF/horror/fantasy available through video rental and countless webpages and discussion boards at their beck and call, it's probably not easy to realize how remarkable Ackerman was. There was once a time when the only way you'd see fanboy movies was at the drive-in or on the numerous &quot;Creature Double Features&quot;&nbsp;which aired on local TV stations, usually on Saturday afternoon or late night. Books which took the genre seriously were few and far between, and Famous Monsters was the shining beacon of fandom.</p> <p>The man was truly the First Fanboy.</p> <p>Godspeed, Uncle Forry.</p>

ABC Cancels ELI STONE and PUSHING DAISIES (Article) - 11/21/2008 8:44:21 AM

<p>I'm sorry to see Daisies going, though I'm not surprised. It was noble effort, but&nbsp;just much too quirky for network television. I heard the producers will wrap up the storylines in a graphic novel for the fans. I also heard that there's supposed to be an upcoming&nbsp;crossover from Fuller's previous series Wonderfalls, which was also too quirky for its own good.</p> <p>I'm encouraged by the pickup of Life on Mars. It should be very compatible with Lost as a lead-in.&nbsp;Last night, Life on Mars steered into some very Lost-like territory.</p>

TV Wasteland: Legend of the Seeker (Article) - 11/3/2008 4:18:58 AM

<p>Thanks for adding Life on Mars to the schedule!</p>

Toy Maniac: Retro Halloween Costumes (Article) - 10/30/2008 4:12:34 AM

<p>Robert - Your Dawn of the Dead figures were produced by a company called Reds, Inc. of Tokyo. They were issued in Japan in 1999, only available stateside as imports through specialty stores. It was a series called &quot;Cult Cinema Collection,&quot;&nbsp;which&nbsp;no doubt was inspired by McFarlane's &quot;Movie Maniacs&quot;&nbsp;series of the same time. As far as I know, the four DotD figures were the only ones produced in this line.</p>

Comicscape: Comic Books and the 2008 Election (Article) - 10/23/2008 7:44:53 AM

<P itxtvisited="1">"If he was a white guy. He would be kicking McCain`s ass right now"</P><BR itxtvisited="1" /> <P itxtvisited="1">Have to disagree with you on that point, ponyboy. All other things being the same - if Obama was a charistmatic, white, first-term Senator from Illinois who was largely unknown on the national political scene - Hillary Clinton would have been the Democrat Party nominee.</P>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 10/20/2008 3:55:00 AM

<p>Talk about your good news/bad news situation from Fox. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sarah Connor get picked up, but I&nbsp;was eagerly anticipating Dollhouse. I knew that Fox had asked for a retooling of the series, but I&nbsp;didn't realize that the whole series is now likely to not see the light of day. I was really looking forward to seeing Whedon's latest on-screen effort.</p> <p>Where's the listing for Life on Mars? Unless something pre-empted it at the last moment, it's supposed to be scheduled for a new episode this week. I thought I heard that it was doing well in the ratings.</p>

Smell my face! (Blog Post) - 10/16/2008 3:56:50 PM

<P itxtvisited="1">I tried to watch it last season, got through a few episodes before I gave up on it.  I just didn't find Miller to be appealing as a leading man, and a number of the other actors/characters annoyed me.  The musical bits didn't do anything for me. And I found the constant force-feeding of liberal ideology to be more than a little off-putting. Sorry, I just didn't find it appealing at all. I even tried giving it another chance with the second season premiere, but was quickly reminded why I found it annoying last season.</P><BR itxtvisited="1" /><BR itxtvisited="1" /> <P itxtvisited="1">Despite that, I'm surprised that this does not get reviewed on Mania, or even show up in the TV Wasteland column. It most definitely is "genre" TV, and deserves to find its audience.</P><BR itxtvisited="1" /><BR itxtvisited="1" /> <P itxtvisited="1"> </P>

China Plans Live-Action MULAN (Article) - 10/14/2008 4:59:57 AM

It's not like they would be re-making the Disney movie, so much as re-interpreting the original source material. There's actually been a number of live-action adaptations of Mulan produced in Asia, going back to the silent film era.

SNALLYGASTER'S MANIACAL PERSONA