All stonedtodeath's Comments

Comicscape: AvX Half Time Report (Article) - 6/29/2012 11:49:07 AM

@joelr...Yeah I had a funny feeling about the Scarlet Witch coming back since that #0 issue, and especially once Quicksilver got involved.

@everyone else...If you really like the Silver Age of comics when Cap was always fighting the Red Skull or Nazis...You can still find those comics in printed or digital form.  The big event/cross-over comics have been great in the past...House of M, Secret Invasion, Civil War were all really good and impacted the Marvel U in one way or another.  That being said...

I don't like the writing in many of the tie-ins or the art due to lack of continuity.  The one thing Uncanny X-Force and Rick Remender have done well is stay in-continuity with the characters that have their own solo series.  Deadpool loses his Healing Factor in Deadpool, he loses his Healing Factor in Uncanny X-Force.  I don't understand why comic to comic continuity is so hard to attain.  I also don't understand why Clayton Crain or Jerome Opena aren't doing any of the art in these series.  Sometimes you can listen to a song you've never heard before and know who the singer is because of the uniqueness of their voice.  I feel the same way about Comic Art, I know a Clayton Crain, Jerome Opena, and Steve Dillon piece of artwork without having to see their name on it, their style is unique.  The only Comics I have been able to re-read lately are the X-Force and Uncanny X-Force comics, it is truly some of the best writing and art collaborations I have seen in the past 4 or 5 years.

Toy Maniac: Hasbro SDCC 2012 Exclusives (Article) - 6/29/2012 10:58:02 AM

I've been collecting the Marvel Universe toys for a while and I'm pretty excited about the X-Force Collectors pack.  I already own all the other X-Force gear including a SDCC exclusive Marvel Universe Archangel in his X-Force uniform, these toys are already posted on E-Bay for around 100 bucks on average.  Which isn't bad considering what some people will charge for a $50 Tyler Stout poster on E-Bay.  It's the unfortunate side of geekdom, call it geexploitation.  It's why I don't watch The Big Bang Theory, just because I like Comic Books and I'm smart doesn't make me gay or bad with women, it means I like Comic Books.  I'm 6'3 and weigh 225 lbs., I played football and baseball in high school, partied like a rock star in college, and had more tail thrown at me than the Dog Whisperer.  In other words, I'm awesome.

Warner Brothers Preps JLA (Article) - 6/14/2012 1:09:46 PM

I think a JLA movie will do great at the theatres it's first week, but slide quickly afterwards.  It really all depends on which characters get solo movies before JLA and how good those movies are.  I don't like any DC characters, except Batman, the rest seem impossibly cheesy and have horrible super hero aliases.  Booster Gold? Lobo might be good, but Warner Bros. have definitely missed the bus with every DC movie they've adapted with the exception of Batman, and before Nolan took over....well I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone of how bad some of those were.

I could care less about Wonder Woman or the Green Arrow, and if they are going to do Darkseid I suggest they kick it into high gear.  The Avengers are already using Thanos and if I remember correctly he looks very similar to Darseid.  Big, purplish-blue, and they are both aliens....most people not familiar with either character could certainly confuse the two.  I think they should finish Batman and Superman, and leave the rest alone for a few years.  Marvel's license has been on a few stinkers both Ghost Riders, all three Punishers, Daredevil and Elektra (I optimistically thought Ghost Rider: SOV would be better than I read, for once the critics nailed it).  So if they get in a funk, it is certainly possible people will stop going to see them.

Theron Talks Mad Max (Article) - 6/3/2012 9:36:21 AM

I feel alone on this, but I liked all of the Mad Max movies, including Beyond the Thunderdome.  I liked the campy characters like Master Blaster, The Humungus, Pig Killer, and Jedediah (Bruce Spence as the Gyro Captain and the Pilot).  I guess after reading comics for almost 20 years I've become numb to the idea of a reboot.  I liked X-Force in the 90's, but I never religously read it until a couple of years ago when X-Force became a hit squad full of mutant (and non-mutant) bad-asses.  I feel the same about movie franchises.  I'll keep my eyes open for news regarding the movie, watch the trailers when they're released, and decide whether or not I want to see the movie in a theatre or at home.  I'm sure that most of you will do the same.  At the end of the day, what guy can resist fast cars, big explosions, and sexy ass women.....I can't.

The Geek Life: Back into Comics (Article) - 5/23/2012 10:43:03 AM

I used to collect comics, but eventually you run out of room and I'm not purchasing a storage building to just keep my comics in.  I agree with Wise and others, I grew up with these characters, and I do care about what happens to these fictional friends who spent years entertaining me when it was raining outside or was just too cold to play.  Comics or at least the characters they've spawned are a billion dollar industry and are transitioning to the digital age.  I don't beleive that this trend means the end of printing comic books and I hope the "Digital Age" of comics changes the way Marvel, DC, and others do business.  I'd like to see more graphic novels instead of the skinny ass comics I grew up with.  I could read one in all of 5-10 minutes and be pissed I just dropped half my hard earned allowance for the introduction to an epic story.  Everyone loves a trilogy or a saga, but not in five minute pieces.  I do read some comics using the Marvel Comics app on my Iphone and I enjoy reading them while I'm waiting in line at the grocery store, during my morning constitutional or driving home from work.  I still buy some comics at a local comic shop (it's my way of helping the mom and pop stores), however after reading my comics I give them to someone else (its my way of sharing my love for the art and writing in some comics).  I am the same way about books.  I guess I'm still old fashioned at the old age of 32, I still enjoy reading and I like art.

Marvel Knights Animation ASTONISHING X-MEN DANGEROUS (Article) - 4/6/2012 8:31:54 AM

I wonder why they don't use some of their better artists to do Marvel's animated series.  Not only is this dumb, but a waste of time.  I've heard people talk up the Marvel Anime features such as Wolverine and X-Men Anime...it's horrible.  I don't think Anime is all that great of an animation method or style.  The cover of DC's Superman/Batman Doomsday has art done by Clayton Crain, the animation in the movie is done by some other artist, very misleading.  I had hoped with, Disney owning Marvel, there would be more animated movies with better art.

Comicscape: Avengers vs X-men (Article) - 4/6/2012 7:47:45 AM

It's nice to see this site reviewing comics again, you have a section for comic news and it only has news about comic book based movies, which is cool but misses the mark a little.  I have and will always been an X-Men fan first, so I think the X-Men will probably win this one, but suffer some heavy losses.  As far as the negative comments regarding big event comics and crossovers, everyone has different tastes, but I like them.  Secret Invasion was good and it brought with H.A.M.M.E.R. and Norman Osborn.  Hell, that big event comic is the reason why the mutants are on Utopia, some of them are bad and have no bearing on the future of the Marvel Universe (Civil War, Fear Itself).  However Dark Reign and House of M changed the status quo, and I sometimes tire of Cap fighting Hydra, AIM, and Nazis.  Since Necrosha-X the X-men really haven't had a big time enemy, aside from the mutant hating groups and Bastion.  This event has been building since Schism.  For those of us who can't afford comics, try downloading the Marvel Comics App on your mobile device, they have sales on Mondays and Fridays, new comics come out on Wednesday (theres also one for DC Comics).  As far as JRJ doing the art, I have to agree with a previous post he's not that great, I think their best artist is Clayton Crain, check out the Carnage U.S.A. series and you'll see why.  Matt Fraction is a better writer than Bendis, but I also like Jason Aaron and Rick Remender.  If you are looking to get back into comics, I suggest reading X-force, Uncanny X-Force, and the Necrosha X series, especially if you are an X-Men fan.  The one question I have is where is Professor X on all this?  The Scarlet Witch, Xavier, and Jean Grey are vastly more powerful than any of the current Avengers....the Red Hulk may be strong and irradiated, but Xavier in my mind is more powerful than any person in the Marvel Universe...He can kill you at the speed of thought.  I'm also curious to see where Sebastian Shaw ends up in all of this, he's currently part of Hope's team.  This storyline could be very interesting, it has tons of potential to be one of the greatest crossovers in the history of Marvel.

Second Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Trailer (Article) - 3/18/2012 11:04:09 AM

I think you should read the book first, it might help generate some interest for you.  I thought the book was great, it has some historical elements obviously, with the fantasy elements sandwhiched in.  The book does an excellent job of weaving the two together.  It's unfortunate this site doesn't do more book and comic reviews, because Vampires are everywhere right now (One of the X-Men's current story lines revolves around Vampires, hell Jubilee is a Vampire) theres no reason why one shouldn't exploit our history to make an interesting Vampire story, it beats the hell out of Vampire DIaries, Twilight, and the Moth Diaries.  I'd implore everyone to go see this, show the movie industry that there is actually a place for Vampires as evil blood-thirsty villains again.  Its okay to have one be a hopeless teenage romantic, but he should always get staked in the first five minutes of the movie, it's only right.

Mania Review: 21 Jump Street (Article) - 3/18/2012 10:42:59 AM

I won't see it, mainly because it is another comedic remake of a TV show.  I will however see a movie remake of Facts of Life, Gimme A Break, or One Day at a Time.  I refuse to give any of my money to unoriginal movies or George Clooney (Been that way since Batman and Robin) anymore.

10 Best Movie Endings (Article) - 3/1/2012 2:22:22 PM

Finally I hear someone besides me say that Once Upon a Time in the West is a great Western, however the best ending for any Western is The Wild Bunch.  I don't think the movies listed are Top Ten material, but definitely should be in the discussion.

STONEDTODEATH'S MANIACAL PERSONA