All thatguy1's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

Batman Battle Royale (Article) - 11/1/2010 3:38:07 PM

No doubt, if animation was considered in the list, Timm's Batman is the best.  Period.

In terms of sheer "Batman-ness", Bale is the man, but less so once they started digitally altering his voice in The Dark Knight.   No question, Keaton was the very best Bruce Wayne.

However.

One thing they've overlooked in the list is the pure look of the actor in the cape and cowl.  In my mind, Kilmer looked the best of all the various actors to wear the bat-suit.  In costume, he looked almost exactly like the Jim Aparo Batman artwork that drew me back to comics in the 80's.  Actually, the cowl that Clooney wore in the early parts of Batman and Robin had a similar look and feel to the Kilmer outfit and fit better than pretty much any other cowl yet seen on film.  I truly hate the bobble head look that resulted from giving Bale's Batman the abiltiy to turn his neck.  I still loathe the whole Batman in all black idea.  Sure, it's more realistic for a guy prowling the night to dress in pure black, but I don't pay 10 bucks for hyper-realism, I pay it to see BATMAN on film.  To me, Batman should always have a blue cape and cowl (I can live without the blue trunks) and a grey outfit.  For all the fan hatred of the Schumacher debacles, I always applaud the fact that he (and only he) actually put a blue cowled Batman on the silver screen.

More CAPTAIN AMERICA Pics (Article) - 10/29/2010 2:32:11 PM

I'm liking all the Cap pix too.

But.

Why is JohnBoy Walton there and why is he trying to hug Captain America?

Disney Buys Back AVENGERS, IRON MAN 3 (Article) - 10/19/2010 8:01:28 PM

If he hadn't already played Ra's Al Ghul, Liam Neeson would be an awesome pick for Zod.

Still, I'd much rather see them bring in Clancy Brown as Doomsday...or Mongul, Darkseid, Parasite, Metallo, or even as Zod.  Just get Clancy Brown.  Actually, if Clancy played him, I'd put up with another Lex Luthor (as long as he isn't portrayed as Donald Trump without hair again) on the silver screen.

Disney Buys Back AVENGERS, IRON MAN 3 (Article) - 10/19/2010 7:47:51 PM

While I enjoyed the brief glimpses of Superman that shone through Routh's performance, I'm not sold on him as Big Blue again.  Personally I'd like to break away from the Christopher Reeves looking Superman and get to something more like the comics look, bigger, muscular and lantern jawed.  Routh, no matter the bulking up, just looks too slight to be The Man of Steel.  At least to me.

I have confidence in Snyder, but I really hope that he makes a clean break from the past and casts a new face in the role.  No slight intended towards Routh's acting, but Superman deserves a real do-over.  More important even than the face in the suit, I'm hoping we see a great actor as the villain.  If Zod is the man, then let's see someone like Clive Owen or Gerard Butler in the role, bringing some gravitas (and a British Accent) with him.

With the rare exception, it's the villain that makes a great superhero film (Downey makes IM, exception noted), so I'm much more interested in who ends up being the bad guy than who dons the tights.

Smallville: Supergirl Review (Article) - 10/11/2010 5:00:54 PM

As much as I love the fact that Smallville brings parts of the DC universe to the small screen every week, I still occasionally find myself choking on a flaw so big that I can't believe the writers let it get past them.

"Let's split up, we can cover more ground."

Seriously?  Two people who can see through walls and/or run through the entire building in the blink of an eye and they've got to split up to cover more ground?

The writers could at least give us a token "oh, lead pipes in the walls, I can't see anything" line to make us feel like they're paying attention.

FLASH Screenplay Due Soon (Article) - 10/11/2010 4:46:10 PM

littlemikey979 -

Dean Cain was already on Smallville.  He played a mad scientist who nearly vivisected Chloe (or was it Lana? Lois maybe?) before getting whupped by Clark.

Batman The Brave & Bold: The Last Patrol Review (Article) - 10/11/2010 11:10:04 AM

I agree, wholeheartedly.  B B is a 21st Century Saturday morning cartoon, in the best sense.  While it's well written and voiced, it embraces the silliness of costumed superheroes fighting outlandish villains with glee and humour.  It's not every cartoon that can balance fun and heroic sacrifice in one episode.

The kid in me loves seeing all the B and C list heroes from the DC library (seriously, who EVER thought they'd see Detective Chimp anywhere but in the comics?) brought to life, while the serious comic book geek in me gets jazzed by a cartoon that doesn't shy away from heroes dying to save others.

And thanks for the info about the Doom Patrol's beating Marvel to the superteam led by a guy in a wheelchair punch.  I had no idea.

FLASH Screenplay Due Soon (Article) - 10/11/2010 10:34:06 AM

"It's got nothing to do with the other movies,"

Best Superman news, EVER.

As much as I'm not a big fan of the choice of Zod as the villain, at least we can anticipate a NEW take on Superman rather than a retread of the Donner franchise.

I still have a soft spot for the first two Superman movies (we never speak of the next two) but on rewatching them it's hard to deny that they simply don't hold up very well.  Christopher Reeves was Superman for me as a kid, but I'd truly like to see the character move into the 21st Century.  That said, I'd love to have Snyder lift some soundbytes from Reeves' guest appearances on Smallville to use as the voice of Jor-El, assuming we hear from the elder El in the film.

While it's important to acknowledge that the Donner films broke the "superhero as punchline" mold that prevailed in Hollywood after the Batman of the 60's, it's equally important to recognize a dated and stale approach that may once have been cutting edge but is now merely quaint.

Thank you, Snyder, for moving on.  The character can still be true to his roots without being a slave to his past.

P.S.  Please build a REAL Fortress of Solitude.  Superman shouldn't live in a glass house.

10 SUPERMAN Villains Snyder Could've Used (Article) - 10/7/2010 1:33:58 PM

I'm all over most of the choices on the list.  No Titanno or Toyman though.  Too much potential for veering off into goofy territory.  I like the Lane angle though and that might be the only way I'd like the Toyman idea.

Mxy is a little too goofy too, buuut it he was to go silly at the beginning, get beaten and then return with a not so goofy ace up his little yellow sleeve, like Bizarro, that could work.

I'm just not happy about Zod.  It feels wrong.

Speaking of wrong, that stupid full screen ad for Nightmare on Elm St. has crashed my browser about half a dozen times so far this session, so thanks for that.

Snyder takes on SUPERMAN, Zod (Article) - 10/5/2010 11:13:00 AM

"Hopefully they at least lose the whole ice and crystal theme that they've been using since the 70's film franchise."

Spot on, Tevil.

Even as much as I loved the original Donner film and the half Donner sequel as a kid, I always HATED the crystal thing and was disgusted to see it take hold in the mythology.  Give Superman a GREAT museum/zoo/lab/retreat with all kinds of cool alien animal inhabitants and trophies from his adventures, as was done (although still on too small a scale for my tastes) in Superman TAS.  A silly ice cave just doesn't cut it for the retreat of the most powerful being on the planet.

And I agree with the "at least it's not Lex again" comments.  Better Zod than Lex (although I'd love to see Lex de-business suited and portrayed as the power suit wearing, scientific genius that he used to be), since that sets up a super powered battle royale, which in Snyder's hands will likely rock the house.  Still, I would have prefered to see them going the Batman Begins route by introducing audiences to one or two previously unused Superman villains.  I mean, isn't Superman enough to hang a marketing campaign on?  What kind of crappy ad-men couldn't come up with a great campaign no matter who the villain is?  Why would they need a "known villain" like Zod?

I seem to recall that Snyder is a fanboy himself, so maybe there will be enough "please bring in new villains" sentiment floating around the community to make him consider a different approach.

THATGUY1'S MANIACAL PERSONA