All thatguy1's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Snyder takes on SUPERMAN, Zod (Article) - 10/5/2010 7:20:17 AM

Another round with Zod.  I'm already not thrilled.

Granted, Snyder will probably make a visually stunning movie, but if it ain't Lex, it's Zod.  There are TONS of Superman villains to choose from and it's always Lex or Zod.  Parasite, Bizarro, Mongul, Darkseid are the first four I think of who could give Supes a run for his money and yet we've never seen any of them on the big screen.

Come on Snyder!  Give us something NEW!

BATMAN 3 Start on the Horizon? (Article) - 10/2/2010 7:51:13 PM

Gawd, no.  Williams would just be a different flavour of the Jim Carrey Riddler.  Don't get me wrong, I love Williams in lots of what he's done, but not for this.

I'd much rather see the Penguin as the villain, played as an underworld fixer who masks his criminality beneath an upscale nightclub owning exterior.  Play him straight, let this movie be the one that showcases Batman's detective skills and you have a recipe for a Nolan-esque success.

If not Pengiun, then Catwoman.  I honestly don't think that they could pull off the Riddler without CONSTANT comparisons to Leger's Joker, no matter how they do it.  Sure, Bat-fans would love the Riddler, but the general public would likely just see an attempt to re-do the Joker with a different character.

Just my humble opinion.

WONDER WOMAN Lassos TV Deal (Article) - 10/2/2010 7:40:44 PM

I agree JBBUC.  I only mention Vandervoot for her uncanny resemblance to Linda Carter (in the recent pix of her in her Linda Danvers dark hair and glasses).  My original (but long past possible) pick would have been Charisma Carpenter.  Sadly she'd almost certainly be considered too old for the part now.

Ideally I'd love to see an actress with Mediterranean features take the role, but that too seems unlikely/

Who knows?  Maybe there's a WB exec reading this right now and Charisma or some unknown Greek Godess might get a second look because of it.

Nah.

WONDER WOMAN Lassos TV Deal (Article) - 10/1/2010 7:06:56 PM

Oh, and if anyone doubts that WW can be done seriously and still be good, check out last year's Wonder Woman animated feature from DC's PG-13 lineup.  One of the best super hero films I've ever seen, animated or live action.

It gives me hope that we might see a live action version of classic villains like the Cheetah, Brainwave, Vandal Savage and more.

WONDER WOMAN Lassos TV Deal (Article) - 10/1/2010 6:52:42 PM

I really hope this is true.  So long as they don't try to "Smallville" it.  Having seen the pix of Laura Vandervoot as Kara in her dark hair and glasses, she'd be in my mix of candidates for the role.  She really does look like Linda Carter in those pictures!

More likely they'll find an unknown.  I vote for Linda Carter as Steve Trevor's mom and Lucy Lawless as Hippolyta.  If he wasn't already doing Castle, I'd love Nathan Fillion as Steve, although he might be a bit old if they go for a young-ish WW.

For my money, it makes the most sense as a WWII drama, with villains like Per Degaton, Vandal Savage, Baron Blitzkrieg and (borrowing from Captain Marvel's rogues gallery) Captain Nazi.  I doubt they'll go that route, since it's cheaper to produce it by setting it in the modern era, but I can dream.

Actually, there is another option, in that they could set it in the 70's like "Life On Mars" and then tie it to the Smallville version of the Justice Society, but I doubt that'll happen.  Still a nice thought though.

In either period piece they would have the opportunity to bring in some of the lesser known DC heroes like Wildcat, Johnny Quick, Liberty Belle and such, but most likely I'm just dreaming again.

If they go modern (which they likely will) then I'm ok with an update to the costume (something between the classic spangled bathing suit look and Xena would work well on film) or some very clever way to get the classic costume into play (for the record, WB, I can think of at least 2 ways to do this that would pass the "real world" test, call me), but please, please, please dispense with the idea that the spangled bathing suit is coming with Diana from Paradise Island.  What "ambassador" shows up in her underwear?

Go WW!  I've been hoping for a film for years, to no avail, so I'm really jazzed about this!

BATMAN 3 Start on the Horizon? (Article) - 10/1/2010 4:20:07 PM

Like I said earlier, I loved Ledger's actual performance.  Truly I did.

I just didn't see "The Joker" anywhere in there.  I agree that the best Joker versions have been psychotic killers and Ledger got that and a whole lot more in there.  He just didn't do the JOKES.  The pencil on the table was about as close to "The Joker" as he got, but that was it.

I stand by my assertion that if he'd played the character IDENTICALLY, but been dressed in green with no make-up, everybody would be saying how he nailed the Riddler.

I just wanted to see an exploding whoopie cushion, laughing gas, an acid flower, something that would truly identify the character, but it never happened.

All that said, I am still of the opinion that Batman Begins is the far superior movie (except for Katie Holmes, who's only positive contribution was the best set of Bat-Nipples ever).  In fact, I'd say it's the best live action superhero film ever made.  Just my opinion.

BATMAN 3 Start on the Horizon? (Article) - 9/30/2010 2:49:01 PM

I'll add my target into that hail of bullets. I'll also go one better. Not only did I dislike The Dark Knight, but I hated Heath Leger's Joker. I actually thought he was amazing in the movie, IF we're talking striclty about his act, rather than him being the Joker. I never, never saw the Joker on screen in TDK, just a great, generic villain.

I mean, where were the JOKES? No acid flower, no exploding whoopie cushions, no laughing fish, nothing Joker-esque at all. If you remove the make up, put him in the green suit and have him do the exact same performance, he'd be being hailed as the greatest Riddler ever.

First Look: GREEN LANTERN (Article) - 7/15/2010 7:43:59 PM

At first, I was disappointed by the GL suit.  The more I look at it, though, the better I like it.  For those looking for the "traditional" look, I think it's there.  If you look closely at the right arm you can see the edge of the green part of the suit at the shoulder and a black area along the bicep.  The glow makes it look green, but I'm pretty sure it's black, as per the comic book costume.  Hell, the gloves might even be white, just reflecting a lot of green from the rest of the suit.

I am neutral on the mask.  I'd prefer to see it more rounded over the eyes and a little higher over the bridge of the nose, but they've gone with the pointy look and all my whining won't change it.

I was not sold on a CGI suit, but again, looking at it for a while I can see what the artists were going for and I have a feeling it will work very well on film.  My bet is that when we see the same suit on a more alien looking Green Lantern like Killowog, it will really come into its own.

Either way, they've already got my money.  I'd pay to see GL on film no matter how they do the suit.

Awesome New THOR Image (Article) - 7/14/2010 8:20:39 PM

I don't have a problem with the costumes, mostly.  My big beef is what's not in the picture, namely Thor's helmet.  I can do without Loki's monstrously silly helmet though.  No way you can put that curvy horned nonsense on a screen and not have people laughing at the character.

I don't really dig Odin's look, as it seems too much of an Ozymandias meets Iron Man vibe.  Still, it could be a helluva lot worse.

Is it just me or does Hopkins look like he's about to burst into song?

"The hills are alive with the sound of Mjolnir..."

HULK/AVENGERS: Norton's Out. Guess Who's In! (Article) - 7/12/2010 7:12:53 PM

Matthew Fox?  Sorry, not unless you want someone with the acting range of a meatloaf.

Cry, don't cry.  That's pretty much all he's got.

THATGUY1'S MANIACAL PERSONA