All thatguy1's Comments

<<  <  2 3 4 5

HULK/AVENGERS: Norton's Out. Guess Who's In! (Article) - 7/12/2010 4:53:22 PM

I wouldn't say they haven't made a bad one yet.

Terrance Howard wasn't Rhodey and when I saw Cheadle in the War Machine suit I was gratified to realize that someone in Hollywood actually agreed with me AND did something about it.

William Hurt was also miscast as General Ross.  Sam Elliott made him menacing but still likable in Hulk, Hurt made him damaged and inneffectual.  I'd love to see Elliott return to the role in Avengers, but that's not likely.

Still, overall, you're point holds, ponyboy76.  As of this moment, Marvel's casting is far and away the best of any Hollywood studio, period.  I hope you're right about Hemsworth and Evans.  I've seen Evans in Sunshine and he was very, very different than the Johnny Storm character, so there's reason to be hopeful there.  Hemsworth worries me more, since there've been stories of friction on the set due to Sir Anthony Hopkins complaining about Hemsworth's acting abilities.

Of course, not measuring up to Hopkins isn't automatically a guaranteed fail.  The man sets a pretty high bar.

HULK/AVENGERS: Norton's Out. Guess Who's In! (Article) - 7/12/2010 3:22:01 PM

Scytheofluna

I agree with most of what you say in your first post about the Marvel movies in terms of how disappointing Marvel movies have been overall, but to be fair, Marvel had zip to do with casting any of the actors you mention (Tobey McGuire, Halle Berry, Ben Affleck, and Jessica Alba) as Spiderman, X-Men, Daredevil and Fantastic Four are all properties that had their movie rights sold to other companies ages before Marvel created its own studio.

Marvel has only made 3 movies of its own, namely Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man II.

In truth, I too hoped that the dawning of the Marvel Studio was the beginning of a bright new era in superhero films.  So far it's been pretty spot on (I'd say they're 3 for 3 so far!), so I'm willing to give them leeway on casting IF they can deliver great films.  I'm leary of the Thor movie and not at all confident in Chris Evans as Captain America, but I won't badmouth them until I've seen the final cut.

HULK/AVENGERS: Norton's Out. Guess Who's In! (Article) - 7/12/2010 3:10:25 PM

To me, Norton was a passable Banner, but ultimately not irreplaceable.

Since Whedon is directing, I'm taking bets that he hires one of his old cronies for the part, since it's a small role anyhow.  Most likely he's going to say "Get Fillion" or "Get Tudyk" so they can avoid a protracted casting nightmare.

GREEN LANTERN Animated Movie Details (Article) - 2/28/2009 8:21:23 AM

Well, July can't come soon enough!  I can't wait for this one!

I'm still stunned that they kept it so completely under wraps until now.  I mean, there's NO way that this is just starting production now for a release in July and yet not a word about it anywhere until the Wonder Woman DVD drop.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/1/2009 11:17:33 AM

I agree with Hobbs 100%.

If Welling and co. are willing to continue playing these characters, it's time to end Smallville and boot up Metropolis.  Welling is a year away from his first grey hair for cryin' out loud.  It's time to put Superboy to rest and break out the tights, the cape and the ability to break the law of gravity.

And enough with the powers!  This isn't the Superman comic books of the 1950's when every character got a power for a while.  Let Clark and the League do the super-heroing.

On the up side, this season, with its Legion, Doomsday and more Green Arrow is superior (even if you don't like the execution of some of the elements) to the last three seasons and shows some promise of what could be done were they to let Clark grow into Superman.

Final point:  Even if they manage to bring Luthor back, they need to keep Tess!   I'd pay real money to see her acting as Luthor's chauffeur, pretending to be loyal while plotting to bring him down.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 1/28/2009 12:14:30 PM

I saw the pilot for Iron Boy.  Terrible.  I hoped to like it, but it's both poorly animated and poorly written.  The voice acting is no hell either.

If they want kids to be able to enjoy it, try the approach the Brave and the Bold is taking.  No deep story arcs, no personal backstory on the characters, just a fun action show.  This concept just puts teenaged characters in place of adults, removes their flaws and replaces them with angst.  Unwatchable garbage.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/14/2008 10:27:11 AM

<p>Did I miss the official announcement of Kenneth Branagh as director for Thor?&nbsp; I've seen dozens of &quot;rumoured to be in talks&quot; stories and even some that say he has signed, but I can't find an official announcement from Marvel or even from Branagh himself.&nbsp;</p> <p>Anyone?</p>

THATGUY1'S MANIACAL PERSONA