10 Comments | Add
Rate & Share:
Top 10 Items you'll want in the Capitol Wasteland
How to Survive in Fallout 3
By Josh Gordon
December 05, 2008
Top 10 Items you’ll want in the Capitol Wasteland
© Mania.com/Josh Gordon
An easy contender for game of the year is Bethesda Softworks Fallout 3. A truly epic adventure that takes place in and around Washington D.C. two hundred years after nuclear war wipes out most of the planet. Only small settlements, wasteland raiders, traders, creatures, giant insects and radiated mutants of all varieties exist and fight for survival. Luckily you won’t have to traverse this wasteland with only your fists, good fortune and Pip-Boy 3000 to help you along. I’ve gone through the trouble of compiling the things I’m sure you’ll be most happy to have in your bag of tricks as you accomplish your quests.
1. Combat Shotgun
The go-to gun for close combat brain splattering, the combat shotgun packs a high intensity close-up wallop that beats the pants off everything else.
2. Chinese Assault Rifle
This is my medium range weapon of choice. Dealing out a little bit more damage than its American counterpart this is really the weapon you don’t want to leave home without.
3. Sniper Rifle – A must-have for any stylish wastelander, the sniper rifle allows you to take out those nasty Yao Guais and Rad Scorpions from afar. Believe me; you don’t want to get too close to a Yao Gwai.
4. Stimpacks – What are you going to do without these? Die. That’s what. These are the wasteland’s version of Health-packs and you’re going to need plenty
5. Rad Away – Does it feel like your going to vomit out your brain while your skin just can’t seem to stick to your body? You probably have radiation sickness. If so, Rad Away is just what you’ve been looking for! Rid yourself of nasty radiation sickness in seconds!
6. Radiation Suit – There will be times when you’ll have to bite the bullet and swim through radiated bodies of water. I’ve used this suit more than I thought I would; much better then skinny dipping in atomically accentuated water.
7. Frag Grenades – You can never have too Frag Grenades. If you’re like me and you like to do your damage from a distance then these are your best friends.
8. Missile Launcher – There will be times when, frankly, nothing else except a missile launcher will accomplish the task in front of you. Or, at least, as easily accomplish the task. For that reason, this cranial disintegrator is on this list.
9. Buffout – There will be a few occasions (read hundreds) when you wish you could carry more. Buffout will make you stronger; about 20 pounds worth. It’ll also boost your endurance and hit points (significantly)
10. Fat Boy – Own your very own mini atom bomb launcher! When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muther *@#?%# in the vicinity
Stealth-Boy – I’ve only needed these self-invisiblifiers once or twice but boy are they handy when you need ‘em. Need to creep through a room full of Super-Mutants but don’t have the arsenal to pull it off? A handy Stealth-Boy will do the trick!
Purified Water – Serves two purposes: 1. if you have too much give it to the needy and get good karma. 2. If you’re stuck in a sewer and low on stimpacks but high on radiation, this will help you out in a pinch.