All trazalca's Comments

Legend Ray Bradbury Passes (Article) - 6/6/2012 11:47:56 AM

Having read Fahrenheit 451, the Martian Chronicles (which practically blew me away) and Something Wicked This Way Comes, I was grateful to read such books from an author that showed me one can tell amazing stories, and display a prose so rich, it danced along the imagination like a finely tuned and symphonically orchestrated fireworks show. I will have to read his books again. We'll miss you Ray, and Godspeed.

Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin (Article) - 5/30/2012 10:55:46 AM

Remembering Ben in Thunderbirds and Prince of Persia, I guess he'll be revisiting the same wardrobe from both films for this one. Unless he revisits his character as the Mandarin with the same bite he had in Sexy Beast, there'd be no point in watching for me.

Summer of '82: The Road Warrior (Article) - 5/21/2012 11:25:43 AM

It's kind of sad that we couldn't have more genre movies of the year ala 1981 or '82. Back then, it wasn't about making a movie reach blockbuster status, just telling an awesome story (aka quality of content). I really think Hollywood has gotten so infected with the blinding disease of blockbusteritis that they fail miserably to recognize what the public wants anymore. I think the directors, writers and producers know better, but not the those durned Hollywood execs. I'd hate to work for anyone in Hollywood. It must be frustration hell in its purist form.

Worst Movie Vampires (Article) - 5/9/2012 9:57:26 AM

Hey! Blacula is da man! Leave him be Hanso.

Worst Movie Vampires (Article) - 5/9/2012 9:56:25 AM

As a fan of the Blade franchise, Blade II stood out as the most in-your-face of all of them, in style and action. I had to agree with the general Blade Trinity review of it just not living up to the bar Del Toro set. Though Del Toro did far betters films, (seriously, Pan's Labyrinth is on a class all its own, overshadowing Blade II) I don't think it was his worst at all. Better still, Blade II made me a fan of Del Toro even more, with Pan's Lab sealing the deal for me when it came out later.

But if you compared Trinity to all the other films, it seemed to try too hard. It had some highlights, but not enough to hold the story up on its own merits. David Goyer is a better writer than director, IMO.

On the article itself, I'll say that it is a testament to an idea I've had all along about Hollywood actors: when starting big in Hollywood, each actor is given a card that says "Be A Vampire" on it. It can only be used once. After that, the actor can decide to pursue a role as a vampire, or never be one again. This list proves that some actors should've kept their card in their desk drawers.

Flintstones Remake Update (Article) - 4/25/2012 1:50:11 PM

WHEW. That was close. A redo of the Flintstones just smelled wrong, especially coming from MacFarlane. Do you suppose, 20 years from now, assuming the show hasn't finally died off the air by then, a redo of the Simpsons would make sense to anyone? Would it? I shudder to think. Some things just don't warrant a redo. They rarely ever do a service to the original! Not that it hasn't happened, it's just RARE. But I consider this GOOD NEWS for today. Let's just hope he gets too occupied with his other projects to bother going back to this one, and leave well enough alone.

Prometheus Viral Video and Poster (Article) - 4/18/2012 10:18:12 AM

Oh my. That has to be one of the best trailers for a sci-fi film I have ever seen, and that without showing a single footage of the actual film! Now THAT is a trailer! Thoughts of AI and 2001: A Space Odyssey came to mind immediately. Kubrick's influence was all over that one. This is going to be big. And when it comes to developing, IMHO, a true prequel, this is EXACTLY what I had always imagined it to be. If only George Lucas was tipped to this before he put out his. The results would've been far better. Finally - a prequel done right. This should remain the template for all future prequels from here on. Seriously.

New Dark Shadows Spot Online (Article) - 3/27/2012 1:17:30 PM

Obi? MrJaw is right. Back in Barnabas's day (the mid-1800's), it was the norm. If you were 14 and up, still a teen, and about to get hitched, no one would think twice of it, and simply give a nod of congrats. These days, such an idea would be controversial, creepy, or downright immature a prospect to the rest of the general public. Like it or not, that's how it was back then.

First Dark Shadows Trailer (Article) - 3/20/2012 2:22:13 PM

Honestly, I think it's time for the coupling of Depp/Burton to end. At least take a good long five to ten year break from each other, just to keep the artistic juices alive by trying new things with different people. Sure, you can say Depp is Keith Richards to Burton's Mick Jagger (and yes, you could argue it the other way around by flipping the names), but then that would be giving them too much cred. They've become too comfortable with each other. Each knows how the other moves, and can easily riff off of each other. But heck. Even the Stones haven't put out anything relevant in years. They need to change things up.

After Depp's fourth Pirates movie, and his other recent flop at the B.O. - The Rum Diary, I easily could see Depp's long streak of success coming to an end from a mile away. I like Depp. He remains one of the cooler cats in the acting biz, but unless Dark Shadows knocks it out of the ballpark, the streak ends with a disastrous crash. Believe it or not, I have more hope for him as Tonto, but we shall have to see. Depp may very well experience something new for his career: two massive bombs in a row. His mojo may very well have run its course.

What surprises me even more are the problems in the trailer nobody is talking about. Disco in 1972? Complete with Barry White? The musical inaccuries were staggering for me. When I first read the synopsis set for that year, my thoughts went back to a time when music by the Carpenters were en vogue. The hippie movement was still going strong with Vietnam still raging in the background. Despite the spot-on costuming and home decor for that time period, the rest looks like some stupid opportunity taken to mash up anything 70's into the film. It's rather sad, really. Even for comedy's sake, it doesn't work for me. It's just a glaring distraction. If the film stayed in the 1800's, I'd have been happy.

I'll end on this: I fully expect Chloe Moretz to upstage Depp in this film. I don't know why, but from the brief clips in the trailer, it appears a given.

NBC Approves of Hannibal (Article) - 2/16/2012 8:55:53 AM

And oh yeah, I second the choice for Sam Neill. That would be great casting for Lecter. But I'd also add Jeremy Irons, if he was available. I remember an SNL skit he did weeks after Silence of the Lambs came out, and he played Lecter. Funny as it was, I thought his take on it was rather chilling. He nailed it.

TRAZALCA'S MANIACAL PERSONA