All troyw's Comments

1 2 3 >  >>

Scott's PROMETHEUS Has Synopsis (Article) - 7/1/2011 9:40:36 PM

The whole message from the Jockey turning out to be a warning squares up with none of these two ideas, and seems to be swept under the rug for some reason. That's one of the great mysteries of "Alien". If the Jockey creatures were really bad news, then why would they warn others to stay away from a contaminated ship?

Most prequels seem like a bad idea anyway. That's just my opinion though, and I don't speak it as gospel. I think the Star Wars prequels just ruined every prequel thought forever for me. This "The Thing" prequel coming up sometime also falls in this line...a bad idea with a bad sounding concept.

Battle: Los Angeles Blu-Ray Review (Article) - 7/1/2011 9:20:50 PM

I just watched this film tonight. I thought it was excellent, and finally...FINALLY got the awful taste of ID4 washed away. While I did enjoy Spielberg's "War of the Worlds", I thought this film was better overall.

Biggest Transformers Face Palm Moments (Article) - 6/30/2011 5:34:30 AM

Ok, I've heard that just one comment too many on racism. Racism is believing one race to be better than another. How do the "Twins" qualify for this at all? All it's "guilty" of is a stereotype, which I might add is amply lived up to in shows like "The Voice", or that one with Flavo-Flav & Bridgette Nielsen. Look at how these guys act. They're JUST LIKE THE TWINS. It's the way they are. So what. It's just like I learned by experience that almost all of what Jeff Foxworthy jokes about in regards to the south is really true. When I moved down to the south from New England, I didn't realize how true those stereotypes were, and are. Doesn't at all mean I'm "racist". It means I can laugh at the nature of human behavior, including my own. Anyone here want to debate the fact that I well know the stereotypes of New Englanders? And yes, I think they can be true, and can be funny. I laugh at them, and am not such a politically correct pussy that I'm offended every time someone points out an accurate behavioral stereotype that sometimes deserves some laughter, maybe even some derision.

Geez, people, grow a set. Seriously.

Wish, you pointed this all out as well, and nicely done. I'd even add that I heard nothing much on stereotypes that were in "The Hangover". Man, no one offended by any of that?

6 Films Where the Critics Were Wrong (Article) - 5/25/2011 6:10:49 AM

I don't do forums anymore, really. Blame it on certain motorcycle forums. However, this article was really cool, and being passionate about film work, I thought I'd comment. Karas1, I think you're right about Blade Runner on both counts. That remains one of the finest films made today, I feel, and I recognized it when I saw it in the theaters when I was 13 years old. I also have to say that I recognized 'classic' when I saw JC's "The Thing", The Shining AND Big Trouble In Little China many years ago. I loved these films from the start. In fact, I consider many of John Caprenter's films to be classics of film, such as Halloween, The Fog and Starman to name the best of as well. I can actually watch The Thing and BTILC time after time and never get sick of them. These movies are just that good. It was actually a major shock to me to find out that The Thing & BTILC flopped so hard when they were first released. Really...shocking. Seriously, how could people not see how good these films were? I liked E.T. and all, but seriously, The Thing was just amazing. The Shining also surprised me, some of the negative press on it. I can understand, however, why King would be upset. I've never read the book (though I should), so I didn't have those expectations. What I do know is that Kubrick created a mood that is inimitable, as did John Carpenter in many of his earlier works, and I can't put my finger on it. But, The Shining chills me to my soul. I did like the actual story better in the tv version, and Rebecca De Mornay was excellent in her part, but it couldn't touch Kubrick's film for sheer creepiness and mood. Now, I've seen Metropolis once, and couldn't get into it. Perhaps I should give it another go around? If anyone is interested, go to youtube and search for "Savage Garden of Walter Grimm" to see a trailer for my own short horror film and tell me if you think it should be finished. I wrote it, am directing, and took the main character in the trailer. It's been a challenge so far. I've studied Carpenter's early films, as well as Spielberg's "Duel" as inspirational.

Stretch Armstrong Finds Director (Article) - 4/21/2010 7:58:07 PM

Stretch Armstrong? Really?

Man, H-wood is completely lost. I can't even believe they're making a movie based on the board game "Battleship". Geez...tap some unknown, fresh writers and ideas for crying out loud. OMG this is stupid.

No wonder I don't rent movies much anymore.

4 Director's Thoughts on 3-D (Video) - 4/21/2010 7:52:22 PM

Hanso...who ARE you? Are you a young guy...older, like me (40)? I don't know. All I can picture is this dude who often spot on, but is the Joker of yesteryear...WOO HOO HOO HOO! (Romero Joker Laugh). Hilarious. Just comes out with 'hobo'...and yes, it makes me laugh too. Glad you shared. 3D. Yes, I agree...use it to enhance. But, can we get back to good storytelling one of these days again? I mean, I loved both Transformers movies, and I've liked everything Neil Marshall has done, but honestly, stories are just really lacking these days. All H-wood can do is remake stuff now, and they're mostly just bad, bad, bad. I'll be making my own short film sometime this summer as pre-production ramps up. I hope I don't fall into any of these same pitfalls of bad storytelling...all style, no substance. I don't think I have...but I'm just getting started with film work.

Smith Circling ID4 Sequels? (Article) - 3/31/2010 7:39:37 PM

I liked the first half of the film. It became hated to me when they stumbled on the idea of uploading a computer virus into totally alien technology and bringing down their shields. Is Emmerich really that stupid? Every movie, from Stargate to Godzilla (I gave up on him after that) was good the first half or so, then just dawdled around and went limp. So, in ID4, their shields drop, and their city sized ships just fall out of the sky from a few missles? What about their armies on those ships? They had legions of fighters...and we RAN OUT OF MISSLES! The mother ship...what was it, a third the mass of the moon? Yeah, it gets blown up by one nuke. OMG that movie just churns my insides. It could have been so good...like Godzilla.

Ok...deeeep breath...

GODZILLA Returns for WB (Article) - 3/31/2010 7:33:12 PM

Yes, KEEP WHAT MADE GODZILLA GREAT Hollywood.

How many times do we have to try and sit through botched attempts at some script, suit and director tampering with good, established stories and characters. For the love of all that is good, let Godzilla be the 400 foot, basically indestructible monster that he originally was...and still is. CLoverfield was good, but the shaky cam POV was just a good idea on paper, but not in reality. That's just my opinion though. The Emmerich Godzilla was such a disappointment to me because I've been watching the Toho & Gamera movies since I was a little kid, and I'm 40 now. Godzilla: Final Wars was great stuff. I laughed out loud when he crushed the 98' Godzilla in the film.

Yes, keep the Godzilla vs. Destroyah look to him, with the longer spikes on his back. CGI Godzilla all day long, just do it right. Man, that Always Sunset 2 Godzilla was FANTASTIC. I can't believe I've never seen that before. I do think a Gamera movie is in order as well, done right.

6 Most Racist Casting Decisions in Film History (Article) - 3/29/2010 4:54:25 AM

Don't get started on Wattoo? Why was it racist to make an alien sound Italian, or whatever that was supposed to be? Does every songle Persian have a certain look? Maybe we should just make every single freaking character in cinema with no tone, no race, no nothing. How about just a blank space on screen? Wait, what color will the empty space be? WTF is wrong with media folks now that have to make race into an issue no matter what? WE HAVE DIFFERENT RACES, this stuff isn't racist. It doesn't even cross my mind when I 'm talking with someone, or watching someone ACT onscreen. Give me a break. Just lost a whole lot of respect for Mania. This is ridiculous. No one can do anything now because of "political correctness" and this stupid racism bit going on.

TREK Sequel Launch Set (Article) - 1/13/2010 5:11:17 PM

Indeed. None of can say what Roddenberry would say about the new Trek. I liked it, though I do agree with some of the criticisms. I'm up to see where it goes though. 'Nuff said.

TROYW'S MANIACAL PERSONA