All trunksgotenfuse's Comments

1 2 >  >>

Dubs: A Dwindling Resource? (Blog Post) - 5/17/2011 10:48:04 AM

It's amazing this topic is still open after a few years and still on the main page. It is nice to see that dubs are actually becoming standard on a lot of releases again, and amazingly they dubbed Clannad the release I was most disappointed about a couple years back. To the few sub viewers posting above; That is great for you. Everyone knows the pros and cons of subs and dubs. The fact still remains that not everyone enjoys subtitles. Do you honestly think the biggest animes of all time in this country would be half as popular if they were sub only. Think titles like Pokemon, Naruto, and DBZ. They would never even have aired on TV if they were sub only and I really don't see a bunch of college kids sitting around a public drom TV reading DBZ, but I saw them all the time watching it in dubs. In fact it was always on during CN airings. The sub market is a much smaller and hardcore market. Making money is the name of the game. Catering only to the hardcores will not land you in the green, and hell even some hardcores prefer dubs (self-included).

I have introduced dozens of people to anime for the first time, and created a few addict friends of my own. All of them I got started with a dub title to lighten the load. Some of them do watch subs now, but for the most part dubs are still preferred. Since most of my friends are around 30 can you imagine trying to introduce them to a complex anime in dub. Think titles like Ghost in the Shell. Just no freaking way they would sit past the second episode, but that is the anime that I drew my 54 your dad into anime with. Both ways have thier place in anime, and I never want to see that change. I will be buying anime for the next 50 years if I make it that long :) Close to 4500 titles now and I pre-ordered like 15 more today.

NIS America Solicits First Titles (Article) - 3/22/2010 7:22:34 AM

@ jag - Same here, I am done buying any anime without a dub. Not to mention the set price on these is quite steep compared to other sub only sets out there. All we need is another sub-only company charging us for something that most people get for free online. Very sad. I cannot understand why companies think we should spend as much or more than a high-budget hollywood film on a sub-anime dvd. At least with a dub I feel like I am paying for some level of effort.

Clannad Dub Premiers (Article) - 3/19/2010 7:49:51 AM

Sexy Time!!

Dubs Come To Sentai Filmworks (Article) - 3/18/2010 11:12:38 AM

Screw the upgrade. I will buy a full copy of the dub to pledge my support for this action.

Bandai Announces February Titles (Article) - 11/10/2009 12:26:53 PM

I am buying a lot of these titles regardless of delays. That seems to be standard order of business with anime right now. As long as they get it to me and don't pull a Kanon or When They Cry on me.

Media Blasters Picks Up Queens Blade, Ikki Tosen S3 (Article) - 11/10/2009 12:21:51 PM

Yes. Finally a dub from Media Blasters. Can someone say pre-order? I am all over that.

BTW - PLEASE re-release clannad with a dub. I'll pay in advance. Thanks :)

Dubs: A Dwindling Resource? (Blog Post) - 10/5/2009 5:11:27 PM

Hi All,

I know it is doubtful, but I wish Anime companies like Rightstuf would actually read these posts. I have purchased over 3500 R1 DVDs from all of the companies, and I have watched all of them with they exception of a few. The Sub-Only anime just does not have the draw to me I like to relax in my theater and watch the show. I don't like reading the lines and taking time away from the animation. It is just annoying to me. I was spending about $800/month on anime before the disappearance of dubs. Now I spent less than $100/month. Not because I want to spend less, but because the anime that I want is being released sub-only. I purchased Clannad and Aria to try and get into them, but I never made more than 3 or 4 episodes before I went on to something else. Now they are just collecting dust.

At the rate the market is going now I am going to have to give up on Anime eventually. I have had a lot of thoughts about this and a few things always come to mind:

One of the big factors in poor anime sales is pirating anime. Well guess what most people pirate sub-only anime because the dubs are very difficutlt to find or the quality is terrrible. If you release anime with sub-only how is that any better than a chinese company selling decent knock off subs for 10% of the cost or less? Ebay paints a perfect picture of this for you.

If you don't have the budget for an untested series then release a sub-only version first. Once the interest has been gained and you have sold enough copies to be satisfied with the public acceptance; created a dub/sub version to pick up the rest of the market. I would gladly buy another copy of Aria or Clannad if they were re-done with a Dub.

If the market is going down they gimping your product is not always the best way to increase revenue. In fact that is usually the worst option. The anime industry needs to do the oposite and work on increasing awareness of non-main stream products. Do some advertising to your market. When is the last time you saw a comercial for an anime release on broadcast TV? How about some free market stuff at some colleges like a free showing of an upcoming series. I can think of dozens of ways companies could work on market awareness, but they don't do any of them. As long as your market stays the same and you continue to destroy the quality of your releases your numbers are going to continue to decrease. I think most people consider the current trends in anime production to be heading towards death in a number of years you can count with one hand.

They have been doing this sub-only downsizing for a while now and I hope that they are seeing huge decrease in sales to the point that maybe they will realize that limiting your market is a bad decision. Providing to both sub and dub fans while also pulling in new fans of either is the only way you will increase sales. Take some marketing classes.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/4/2009 9:16:22 AM

Well I just got back from the Bridgewater Falls, OH Best Buy. I got about 530 dollars worth of anime and purchased everything they had that I didn't already own. Feels like a pretty good haul for one day. It sucks this came at the expense of losing Best Buy as an anime retailer. I buy most of my anime online anyway, but I don't like seeing anything negative happen to the anime industry. I already buy almost everything that comes out in R1 (unless it is a sub only release then I am selective).

Just in case you haven't already figured this out 50% of Best Buy prices is usually about 70% of MSRP considering Best Buy has anime at close to 20-30% MSRP anyway. Most single disks are less than ten bucks and most sets are 20-30.

I don't think I can single handedly do much more. The industry needs some other anime fanatics to start chipping in here. Queue anyone reading this post!!!

Outside fo this sale Rightsuf.com is where I got to get the best prices, wait for 40% of sales. They happen all the time. Get a GotAnime membership and then you are getting near 50% off MSRP all the time and it includes pre-orders when the do it. Awesome deal.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/2/2009 11:23:39 AM

I was so looking forward to this anime comming out in the US in Region 1. Then they go and release a sub version only on me. I hate reading dialog heavy anime. Completely ruined it for me. I know it is not going to happen, but now I have to hope sometime in the future they will release a dub version similar to what Gurren Lagann did.

I don't understand why anyone would buy this release with subtitles only. I look at subtitle versions as a torrent or download only thing. Why pay for a company to simply rebrand it and slap an english cover on it. Just stupid.

If they ever release an R1 Honey and Clover like this I will burn the company to the ground.

Win an Eri Sawachika from School Rumble Figure (Article) - 2/21/2009 6:24:56 PM

My favorite character from one of my favorite shows. I want this soooo bad.

TRUNKSGOTENFUSE'S MANIACAL PERSONA